Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-23-2007, 08:31 PM   #1
hollyday27
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Stomach Sleeping OK??

DS is over 2mos now, and he prefers to sleep on his stomach just as DS #1 who is now 23mos. I can't remember when I started letting DS #1 sleep on his belly, but DH doesn't think it is a good idea to let our baby sleep on his belly just yet. What is your advice? I let him sleep on his stomach durning the day for naps, and he will often sleep so well that I have to wake him. He is bf and on a firm mattress with no potential hazzards in the crib. I feel like he sleeps the same amount either on his side or on his belly, but when he is on his stomach he is not moving his arms wildly and I think it is a more restful sleep. WDYT, let him stomach sleep?

Advertisement

~always ISO Amazon & iTunes GCs~
hollyday27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 08:41 PM   #2
nini02
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Stomach Sleeping OK??

We ordered one of these before we decided to co-sleep:

Babe Safe Mattress Cover

There is a lot of info on that site about SIDS and mattress wrapping making it safe for baby to sleep on their tummy.

Stephanie, mommy to Avery and Iona

Swagbucks / ZoomBucks / Varolo
nini02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 09:28 PM   #3
tellymonster1
Registered Users
seller

I would not allow him to sleep on his belly. I would swaddle him in a miracle blanket and put him on his back. Very sound sleeping is believed to be a cause of SIDS - babies sleep so deeply that they are unable to rouse themselves. The only child I alllowed to sleep on their belly (naps only) was my baby and only because he was on an apnea and heart moniter, so it would alarm if there was an issue.
Old 10-23-2007, 09:48 PM   #4
loulou belle
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

DD has slept on her tummy since she was four weeks old. I know this is not what the AAP recommends, but she sleeps much better like that. (I know it is "linked to SIDs", but I also happen to believe that the DTAP more the cause of SIDS than belly sleeping.) One downfall is when they get older and start rolling over. We go in her room numerous times a night to roll the baby back over!
M 7-7-09
loulou belle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2007, 12:53 AM   #5
paintedbison
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by tellymonster1 View Post
I would not allow him to sleep on his belly. I would swaddle him in a miracle blanket and put him on his back. Very sound sleeping is believed to be a cause of SIDS - babies sleep so deeply that they are unable to rouse themselves. The only child I alllowed to sleep on their belly (naps only) was my baby and only because he was on an apnea and heart moniter, so it would alarm if there was an issue.
ITA! It's okay once they start rolling over on their own. Until then... "back to sleep". The back to sleep campaign reduced sids deaths by like 40%. Sounds like there is something to it to me.
Old 10-24-2007, 12:54 AM   #6
paintedbison
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by loulou belle View Post
DD has slept on her tummy since she was four weeks old. I know this is not what the AAP recommends, but she sleeps much better like that. (I know it is "linked to SIDs", but I also happen to believe that the DTAP more the cause of SIDS than belly sleeping.) One downfall is when they get older and start rolling over. We go in her room numerous times a night to roll the baby back over!
So you're going into her room to flip her back to her belly? Or to put her back on her back?
Old 10-24-2007, 01:00 AM   #7
5browns
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Good to know I'm not the only one struggling with this. When our 3month old sleeps on his tummy, he sleeps for 4-6 hrs, but if I put him on his back he wakes up every hour!! (he is crabby and we are exhausted) We have tried swaddling, but it only helps a little, and he still wakes up every 2 hours or so. I have been putting him down for naps on his tummy, with the baby monitor almost under his nose, but I am too afraid to do this at night (when we need it most). I don't know how much longer we can go on with this "back to sleep" when no one is getting any sleep!
5browns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2007, 01:00 AM   #8
CrunchyMama0607
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

my dd is 18mths old and still doesn't sleep on her belly she'd love to and tried when she was way younger but she has a paranoid momma who wouldnt let her we cosleep though and i sleep with my arm under her head so that ill know if she tries to roll over. since you crib sleep i'd swaddle him really good and put him on his back. its just not worth the risk

Last edited by CrunchyMama0607; 10-24-2007 at 01:05 AM.
CrunchyMama0607 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2007, 01:12 AM   #9
corithompson
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5browns View Post
Good to know I'm not the only one struggling with this. When our 3month old sleeps on his tummy, he sleeps for 4-6 hrs, but if I put him on his back he wakes up every hour!! (he is crabby and we are exhausted) We have tried swaddling, but it only helps a little, and he still wakes up every 2 hours or so. I have been putting him down for naps on his tummy, with the baby monitor almost under his nose, but I am too afraid to do this at night (when we need it most). I don't know how much longer we can go on with this "back to sleep" when no one is getting any sleep!
I put both of my kids to sleep on their stomachs because neither would sleep on their backs. I talked to my doctor about it and he said that the risks are minimal because there are other factors that play into a child dying from SIDS and that back sleeping is only one small factor. When baby doesn't sleep and when mommy and daddy don't sleep, it does not bode well for anyone, and it does not bode well for baby's growth. I say, put your baby on their stomach to sleep, and let everyone have a good rest. If you want to second guess my suggestion, talk to your doctor and explain how your baby is reacting to back sleeping.
corithompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2007, 06:30 AM   #10
Craftin'Diva
Registered Users
Formerly: Diaper'nDiva
seller

My Mood:

Both of my kids slept on their stomachs after a month old... stomach sleeping does not CAUSE sids, it just increases the risk by a very SMALL percentage. If your baby is able to lift his/her head and turn it, they can stomach sleep with minimal risk.
Jeri, Mama to Elijah (9.29.03), Eden (10.2.06), a (1/12) and full time StepMonster to Shelby (16). Married to my soul mate, Eric for over 10 years! Awaiting a rainbow after our loss and 5 years of secondary infertility!
"A strong person is not one who doesn't cry. A strong person is one who is quiet and sheds a tear for a moment, then picks up her sword and fights again!"
Craftin'Diva is offline   Reply With Quote