Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-24-2007, 07:17 AM   #11
bebeboy03
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: Stomach Sleeping OK??

I was told that it was ok to let them sleep on their tummies once they can roll over themselves. My ds is 6 months old and it still scares me when he occasionally rolls onto his tummy. The other night I went in to check on him and he was face down in the mattress. I woke him up to flip him over cause it scared me to death.

I am just too paranoid to let him sleep on his belly. He usually sleeps on his back or side.

Advertisement

cautiously expecting #4 October 2013
bebeboy03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2007, 07:36 AM   #12
hauser
Registered Users
seller

A study I read (now I can't tell you where I read it because it was about a year + ago I believe it was in a British parenting magazine) said that switching a baby from tummy to back or side actually has a higher risk of SIDS than just tummy sleeping alone. So, according to the article if you choose to put your child on their tummy you should always lay them on their tummy. Same with putting them on their back or side if you choose to put them on their back and side you should never put them on their tummy.

This is all considering they cannot roll on their own.

You should really talk to your doctor about this. There are more risk factors to SIDS than just tummy sleeping. Time of year the baby is born is considered to be a factor (something to do with the temperature of the house/baby being hot), if you smoke in the house, medical problems, and more.

My youngest son slept on his tummy. I was given the choice (I am the parent afterall), however I was told it would be better for him to be on his tummy. (he has spina bifida and had about a golf ball sized cyst on his back) The risk of him getting a bed sore or being in pain from lying on the cyst (which he was in great pain lying on it) was greater than the risk of SIDS. For four months he was only on his back in the car. I even had to change his diaper while he was on his side due to the pain.

Okay sorry I am rambling. But, just talked to a doctor and ask them why and ask for some articles about it.
Old 10-24-2007, 07:46 AM   #13
saongiri
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nini02 View Post
We ordered one of these before we decided to co-sleep:

Babe Safe Mattress Cover

There is a lot of info on that site about SIDS and mattress wrapping making it safe for baby to sleep on their tummy.
I am so surprised I never heard of this before-I'm also struggling with the tummy sleep issue-I'lll definitely be reading more about this! TY for sharing!
Old 10-24-2007, 07:58 AM   #14
MyLil'Mountaineers
Registered Users
Formerly: my2sons
seller

To answer your question.....yes and no.
When my two were just born, I used a positioner to keep them on their sides. They both have horrible sinus/allergy problems and had colic. Sleeping on their back would make it hard to impossible to breathe. They also seemed to not be in pain when they were on their tummies. So, I used the positioner until about 2-3 months and then put them on their tummies.
I saw a mattress pad that will start beeping if the babies stops moving (breathing). I don't know how they work or even if they are still available. Might be something to look into for peace of mind.
Old 10-24-2007, 12:33 PM   #15
hollyday27
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I found this post for those of you with the same issues... http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/...omach+sleeping. I have been using a sleep positioner, and I rotate him on each side with each night time feeding if that makes sense so his head stays nice and round. I swaddled him for the first week or so, but he seemed happier without a swaddle so I know he would hate it now. DS #1 on the other hand was swaddled until 4-6mos! He couldn't sleep without a swaddle, and after that he slept on his belly with his butt WAY in the air, lol! I will ask the doc, but if I remember right with my first he said it was ok... Thanks for all the info ladies!
~always ISO Amazon & iTunes GCs~
hollyday27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2007, 12:40 PM   #16
Mirasmom
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I wouldn't...but that's just me. My dr always told me- if they can't there, they can sleep there. I waited until she could roll over herself.
athlete wife to B and Mama to M 11.06 G 03.08 S 05.11 ^#4^
Cautiously expecting #5
www.littlesmithsgrowingup.blogspot.com
Mirasmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2007, 05:19 PM   #17
Sweet_Fantasy_Fox
No Longer Here

My Mood:

i wouldnt neither, too scared
Sweet_Fantasy_Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2007, 10:26 PM   #18
Bukawww
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrunchyMama0607 View Post
my dd is 18mths old and still doesn't sleep on her belly she'd love to and tried when she was way younger but she has a paranoid momma who wouldnt let her we cosleep though and i sleep with my arm under her head so that ill know if she tries to roll over. since you crib sleep i'd swaddle him really good and put him on his back. its just not worth the risk
WHOA! Really, Mama? You must be one stressed Mama . Its your kid so by all means, do what you will, but I think she's okay to sleep any-which-way she wants at this age.

IMO, once they roll themselved back and forward, there is not much you can do about it (other than duct taping them onto their back). At some point, you kinda have to know that what will be, will be and most likely they will be fine. That being said, I would not put a baby on its belly that was not capable of getting there itself or getting itself back over.
DS WAHM thread
Bukawww is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2007, 11:44 AM   #19
sharleen (DCDiapers)
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nini02 View Post
We ordered one of these before we decided to co-sleep:

Babe Safe Mattress Cover

There is a lot of info on that site about SIDS and mattress wrapping making it safe for baby to sleep on their tummy.
Yes, please use one of these for the mattress...

One of the reasons whey they started switching to back sleeping is due to crib deaths..... and I believe there is a link to the fireretardent they use on the mattrices. If a baby is sleeping on their tummy they are breathing in the toxic gasses more than if they are on their back and increasing the risk of SIDS. (just my opinion though)
another link if interested.... http://www.mercola.com/2000/nov/5/victory_over_sids.htm
Old 10-25-2007, 11:46 AM   #20
saongiri
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

does it matter if you have an organic mattress- ds crib mattress and bedding are all organic