Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-25-2007, 11:57 AM   #21
serena22304
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Stomach Sleeping OK??

all 3 of my kids slept on their stomach but they didnt start until they were able to roll over. After that no matter how many times I would roll them back onto their back they would always go right back to their stomach. Now that they are getting older, they STILL sleep on their stomach

Advertisement

serena22304 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2007, 12:00 PM   #22
fosterisacoolcat
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

DD had colic and would only sleep on her tummy. It was either that or go insane with the crying. DS only wanted to sleep on his back.
Old 10-25-2007, 01:09 PM   #23
Trishalynn
Banned
seller

My Mood:

well its pretty easy to say make them sleep on their backs, but when you have a babe who preferes the tummy, then what are you going to do about it? If he sleeps the same amount of time on his back/side as he does on his tummy then I'd just leave him on his back. But my dd2 refused to sleep on her back from day one. we tried our hardest to get her on her back but she'd just scream the minute you laid her down. She also had tummy issues so I'm sure it felt better for her to be on her tummy than back. Her PED didn't have a problem with it, he recommended it to help her with gas problems she was having. It is recommended to have them sleep on their back, but you're in no means a bad mom if you let them sleep on their tummies lol. Each child is different so you have to do what you feel is best for them.
Trishalynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2007, 01:25 PM   #24
tallanvor
Registered Users
seller

Both of my daughters have always slept on their stomachs from the time they came home. They wouldn't sleep on their backs unless they were held.
tallanvor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2007, 01:44 PM   #25
hollyday27
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trishalynn View Post
well its pretty easy to say make them sleep on their backs, but when you have a babe who preferes the tummy, then what are you going to do about it? If he sleeps the same amount of time on his back/side as he does on his tummy then I'd just leave him on his back. But my dd2 refused to sleep on her back from day one. we tried our hardest to get her on her back but she'd just scream the minute you laid her down. She also had tummy issues so I'm sure it felt better for her to be on her tummy than back. Her PED didn't have a problem with it, he recommended it to help her with gas problems she was having. It is recommended to have them sleep on their back, but you're in no means a bad mom if you let them sleep on their tummies lol. Each child is different so you have to do what you feel is best for them.
This is the exact issue I'm having. DS has severe reflux and gas so I imagine it feels better to him sleeping on his tummy. I still let him take naps on his belly, but I've not yet taken the plunge to let him at night. I asked the nurse when I had her on the phone for something else yesturday, and she said no, but then again she doesn't know our history with him being so painful. I'll ask the doc next visit, but I think he had no problems with it for DS #1.
~always ISO Amazon & iTunes GCs~
hollyday27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2007, 02:15 PM   #26
hobbsandbean
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I'd do it. With my first I wouldn't have dreamed of letting her sleep on her tummy, because at that point I was very trusting of any and all papers handed to me by a doctor-ish person.

My son slept on his tummy from the time he was 2 weeks old. He would struggle and struggle and scream until I put him on his side or tummy. He would only *stay* asleep on his tummy. I was way too tired to keep fighting, so I just watched him very carefully for the first few times, and he was fine. He slept in a basket by my bed, so he was always close.

Later, I did find out that he had torticollis, so I think that the pain from that was factoring in to the positioning. At that point the ped said that she'd put him on his tummy too, if it seemed to relieve any pain.
baby keelah . 3 months, finalizing adoption now!
hobbsandbean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2007, 03:33 AM   #27
lulusmom
Keepin' it Crunchy!
seller

My Mood:

Statistically, SIDS rate is highest between 2 and 4 months. Funny, but that's when most people start vaccinating their kids with all the routine vaxxes, including pertussis.

Helen-Natural birthing, extended bf'ing, cosleeping, non-vaxxin' mama to Holly Lu 8/18/07
lulusmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2007, 11:09 AM   #28
isis0821
Registered Users
seller

I'm kind of in the same situation, except DS is 5 months. I put him to sleep on his side, at first because it helped with his startle reflex, and then because he developed reflux. Now he can roll from side to side, and frequently wakes himself when he rolls onto his back, because he starts flailing his arms and legs. I've thought of putting him on his stomach, but I'm too nervous. I don't think I could live with myself if something happened to him and I thought I had caused it. He's almost at the point when he can easily roll from his stomach to back, and I'm just going to live with the frequent wakings until then, when I feel more comfortable putting him on his stomach.
isis0821 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2007, 12:51 PM   #29
kalebnlillismomma
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

BOTH of my LO wanted to sleep on their stomachs from the time they were born until now. They were both preemies and they had them on hteir tummys in the NICU. When they were able to roll over on their own I didn't sweat it too much.
Old 10-26-2007, 12:56 PM   #30
ferrferr
Banned
seller

My Mood:

DD#1 slept on her tummy pretty much since she was born. It was either on her tummy or propped up in her swing. She's almost 3 and still sleeps on her tummy with her butt up in the air.
ferrferr is offline   Reply With Quote