Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-17-2007, 10:46 PM   #1
dolphingirl
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Did I ruin my soup stock (beef)?

I've never made my own soup stock before, so one of my friends gave me a bunch of beef bones with instructions to simmer them in water (with a bit of vinegar to help draw out the vitamins/minerals) until I get the desired color. She said she oftentimes boils all day, all night, and into the next day--24 hours or more. My husband and I were both a bit uncomfortable with having the stove on all night, albeit low, and so I was going to put it in the fridge overnight and just continue the simmering tomorrow. Well, just now when I went to take it off, I realized that someone turned up the heat to medium, so it was slightly boiling and instead of a nice brownish color, it's all whitish looking!! I totally don't remember doing this, so unless I did it without thinking, my husband must have done it. He's sleeping, so I can't ask him, though!
So is it ruined??? Also, just for my future reference, do you always skim the fat off the top as it cooks?
Thanks!
Kristin

Advertisement

dolphingirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2007, 10:52 PM   #2
Sweet_Fantasy_Fox
No Longer Here

My Mood:
Re: Did I ruin my soup stock (beef)?

ive seen my mom do chicken & turkey broth and i dont know about beef but we didnt leave it overnight..??
also do not put hot into the fridge, it will spoil it.
Sweet_Fantasy_Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2007, 06:54 AM   #3
BFGuru
Registered Users

My Mood:

Never done it that way. I normally add a ton o' veggies and stuffs to my soup stock.
BFGuru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2007, 09:30 PM   #4
Jz_Doll
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I find if I roast the bones first it gives me a nice brown broth. Just the other day I roasted the bones after supper, then the next morning I covered the bones with water, added garlic, onions, carrots and a liquid smoke seasoning. I used balsamic vinegar as well.
I let it simmer most of the day, then poured the stock into a large measuring cup, the next morning, I took off the cooled fat and made the tastiest beef barley soup.
I like making my own stock as I can control the salt.
Old 10-23-2007, 11:47 PM   #5
dolphingirl
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Thanks for the tips!
Kristin
dolphingirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2007, 12:34 PM   #6
Guardandolaluna
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jz_Doll View Post
I find if I roast the bones first it gives me a nice brown broth. Just the other day I roasted the bones after supper, then the next morning I covered the bones with water, added garlic, onions, carrots and a liquid smoke seasoning. I used balsamic vinegar as well.
I let it simmer most of the day, then poured the stock into a large measuring cup, the next morning, I took off the cooled fat and made the tastiest beef barley soup.
I like making my own stock as I can control the salt.
if you don't roast them first it will be more clear. You can start it in the morning for the evening. Or you can put it in a crock pot. I am not sure that I would have felt comfy with the stove on all night either.

Guardandolaluna is offline   Reply With Quote