Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-24-2007, 02:51 PM   #1
hollyday27
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Exclamation Another Vacc Thread - more ??'s

Our doc told us that when you seperate vaccs that are normally combined it creates higher mercury content, in other words the seperate vaccs have more mercury, how do I find out if that is that ture? Ok, I just got my return phone call from the nurse. I called to see what places they recc. I find more legit info on vaccs and they said aap.org and childrenshospital of pennsilvania (why I don't know since we live in IL??). I also asked for her to mail me the inserts from the vaccs, and this is where she got a little annoyed with me. Did I do the right thing?? She said if I decide not to vacc they require that I sign a waiver that is kept in the chart - I'm looking forward to reading what that says!

The doc also said that they had a 2mo old die of pertussis last year from non-vacc parents and "that baby shouldn't have died" is what he said. Makes me scared! Especially since I have a baby in the sick season, you know? So all this info is bouncing in my brain, and when I am confronted directly as to why I am hesistant to vacc I choke. I'm at the unsure stage - it all started the other day when I posted re: the flu vax. I'm in the process of working with DH to come up with some sort of decision, but he is quick to jump all over my reasoning (more like questioning at this point) and he won't put in the effort of researching. He said he will follow my lead, but I feel like he should be working at this too, after all it is OUR children. Oh well, I'll work on him, but it's these kids that have my first prority. Why is it SO hard to parent? Feels like I have to battle EVERYONE in order to do what's right for my boys.

Sorry for the vent and for the long post, but all I can do is cry since this is so frustrating. I can't even talk about it without tearing up it makes me SO SICK!

One more thing... does anyone have any resources for non-vax support in your community? How would I go about finding any info??

Advertisement

~always ISO Amazon & iTunes GCs~

Last edited by hollyday27; 10-24-2007 at 03:04 PM.
hollyday27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2007, 02:57 PM   #2
xois
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Another Vacc Thread - more ??'s

the mercury thing makes sense to me becuase if you combine vaxes, then you one certain amt of persertive in the vile with the combined vaxes...but if you sep them, each vile needs to have presertative

the amt of mercury is miniscule, according to what I've read

is it good, no...but if you are uncomfortable with the alertnative (possible illness), then that risk might be outweighed

that's what we are talkign about here anyhow...measureing one risk against another...it all depends on your risk tolerance

GL with your decision...

Maybe instead of sep. combined vaxes, you coudl just do one set at a time? Just another alternative...
Old 10-24-2007, 03:10 PM   #3
MamaToBe84
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

disclaimer-- i dont want people to think im trying to hide it-- i will NOT be vaccinating my children.

the mercury thing does make sense, however, if you want to vax (DTaP is not dividable, MMR is) the way i see it is:

no kid gets measles, mumps and rubella at one time. EVER. it just doesnt happen, and yet, we're giving the vax all at one time and overloading their little systems?

i also see it is though 50 years ago, measles, mumps and rubella were "common childhood diseases" the way chicken pox is (well, was).

and about pertussis in the 2 month old-- no, that baby shouldnt have died, but the fact is, the pertussis vaccine isnt even STARTED until 2 months, completed at like 8 months? (eta: sorry, its completed at 6 months if vaxxed according to recommended schedule)

pertussis, according to the CDC is msot dangerous in children under 6 months, but they arent even protected by the vaccine under 6 months, because 1 dose is not effective.

Pertussis is the ONLY "vaccine preventable disease" that i was concerned about, but after talking to the mamas on mothering.com, the pertussis is part of one of, what most people consider, the most reactive vaccines (one of the two that most believe can lead to autism, dtap and mmr), and its the least effective of any.
Old 10-24-2007, 03:19 PM   #4
baby1577
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller

My Mood:

The very best resource you can find IMO, is "The Vaccine Book". It just came out last week, and it has all the info you need to make an educated decision. The best $15 I ever spent.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/AS.../chrisficti-20
I am living the dream selling Plexus! Message me for info about a line of products that can help your family achieve overall wellness. Free shipping for all my DS mamas! Join my team today and find financial freedom! I have! http://shea7.myplexusproducts.com
baby1577 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2007, 03:53 PM   #5
moonphishers
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I agree with all the other previous posters - so all I can add is this:

Call the docs office back - ask them for the precise vaccines they give (manufacturer etc) and then use the link below to look them up. THen if there's no merc in them... you've got no worries as far as that docs argument goes... kwim?

Here's is a list of all the FDA approved vaccines for the US - click on each one and you can peruse the inserts in your own time - without that snooty nurse (for the record, it would have been a bugger to get you all the inserts.. this link is way easier )

as for the waiver, make sure you take it home first, read it carefully, make sure if theres something in it that doesn't sound "good" to you cross it out and initial it - or edit it to your liking - you can also go to the vax boards on mothering . com and seek help from a mama with more info on IL state and weather you actually need that waiver -

Last edited by moonphishers; 10-24-2007 at 03:56 PM.
moonphishers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2007, 03:58 PM   #6
Mirasmom
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Yes pertussis is given at 2 mos- and just in my experience as a picu nurse- I HAVE seen a baby die of pertussis- it was a very rare form and the baby wasn't old enough for the vax. I have seen several other babies on ventilators on and off for a few weeks with Pertussis- none were vaccinated. (Disclaimer- I can't remember if they were old enough for the vax or not- and NO DOCTOR made the parents feel bad about the fact that their child had pertussis and no vaccine). One of the children got it from her father who got it from the community (his vax had worn off...) and had no idea he had it. Very sad. This is not to sway you one way or the other- just to inform.
athlete wife to B and Mama to M 11.06 G 03.08 S 05.11 ^#4^
Cautiously expecting #5
www.littlesmithsgrowingup.blogspot.com
Mirasmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2007, 04:10 PM   #7
lizzytra
Registered Users

WEll, I can answer one question , Children's Hospital of PA is an incredible hospital. I know parents of a little boy who had luekemia and they would drive HOURS to get there for his treatments.

I do vax my kids - and I guess I was kind of scared into it too. My BILs childhood friend came down w/the measles as a young boy and he now has brain damage of some sort. I don't know exactly what type, but he is unable to go away to college like my BIL will as he can't be away from home b/c of his disorder.

I personally don't know anybody who has suffered from vaccines, but I do know people affected when they don't vax. But, we all make decisions based on experience and info. we read: I absolutely respect those who don't vax. Heck, I have a group of friend IRL who don't.

That all said, I do like to read up on vaccine news and I love Dr. Sears. I read on his page this quote,

"Mercury has now been removed from all vaccines except for some formulations of the flu vaccine (and some diphtheria-tetanus shots). But when you take your child in to the doctor's office for the flu shot this year, there may not be any mercury-free flu shots left."

So, I'm confused why your doc said mercury was common in vaccines (I assumed only some flu shots and the DTP).

Good Luck in figuring it all out for you and your family! Decisions like this have given me headaches w/all the research and reading and asking!
Old 10-24-2007, 04:55 PM   #8
MamaToBe84
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

mercury is used a preservative, and then removed. it is still present in amounts considered to be "negligible", because not all can be removed.

for my own kids, the "negligible" amount is still too much, but thats for me, not you
Old 10-24-2007, 05:00 PM   #9
JustAugust
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollyday27 View Post
The doc also said that they had a 2mo old die of pertussis last year from non-vacc parents and "that baby shouldn't have died" is what he said.
This is just stupid. At 2 months old, the baby might not have even had vaccines yet and if it did, it wasn't enough to protect them from Pertussis. One vaccine isn't enough to give full immunity (and even then the Pertussis vaccine is at BEST 70% effective and VERY dangerous/reactive).

So that right there shows me that the doctor you spoke to is either 1. uniformed on vaccines or 2. couldn't care less about your children and just wants you to "shoot 'em up."

Deciding is very scary. I'm still worried about some things. But after months in the beginning, I'm 100% sure that for MY son, not vaccinating at all right now is best. I think it's a child by child thing. Not all children should be vaccinated, not all shouldn't be. But I do think in general, not vaccinating is FAR FAR safer than vaccinating.

Just PM me if you need someone to complain too. Sometimes it's so hard and we just need to whine and cry to someone. Being a parent is so hard, and this is one of the tougher choices, imo.

Last edited by JustAugust; 10-27-2007 at 02:43 PM.
JustAugust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2007, 05:23 PM   #10
hollyday27
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Who all waits until after 2yrs to vacc? Even then what schedule do you follow-all the vaccs or a few? How do you get caught up after 2yrs? I wish the answer would just come to me, this is like a full time job researching (but well worth it I'll add).
~always ISO Amazon & iTunes GCs~
hollyday27 is offline   Reply With Quote