Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-24-2007, 09:03 PM   #1
zionnecherub
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Is there such a thing as a "child proof nightlight" ?

...Like one that they cannot get out of the outlet socket & one that doesnt burn? I found something that has the whole outlet with a lightbulb in it, but its like $25. I need one for our room that is pitch black with the door closed. It has to be kid proof because DS (18mo) has figured out how to climb out of his crib. He now sleeps on a mattress on the floor next to us, but I cant see him if he starts wandering around I have to leave the door closed, or he will escape

Advertisement

Old 10-24-2007, 09:22 PM   #2
4my5guys
Registered Users

My Mood:
Re: Is there such a thing as a "child proof nightlight" ?

What about using an outlet cover that automatically covers when an item is unplugged. And one of those gel square looking night lights. I'll see if I can find links or names.

http://www.babycatalog.com/safety03new/92100b2.jpg
http://www.kidsafeinc.com/stores/k/k...220%5B1%5D.jpg
http://www.kidsafeinc.com/stores/k/k...230%5B1%5D.jpg

Last edited by 4my5guys; 10-24-2007 at 09:27 PM.
4my5guys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2007, 09:25 PM   #3
AmandaMacK
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

We use this kind (well, similar to it,we got ours at the grocery store) [url=http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B000GYF8XY/ref=nosim/chrisficti-20 Light[/url], The boys will take it out in the morning and put it up, but it's not hot and it gives off enough light for them.
Old 10-24-2007, 09:36 PM   #4
zionnecherub
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4my5guys View Post
What about using an outlet cover that automatically covers when an item is unplugged. And one of those gel square looking night lights. I'll see if I can find links or names.

http://www.babycatalog.com/safety03new/92100b2.jpg
http://www.kidsafeinc.com/stores/k/k...220%5B1%5D.jpg
http://www.kidsafeinc.com/stores/k/k...230%5B1%5D.jpg
Thanks for looking for me. My worry would be that he would break anything with bulbs in it (he likes to smack things against the wall). And I just worry about him being able to take it out of the wall, even if he "cant" put it back in.

I wonder if I could put one of those "in use" outlet covers over a night light? I just need a little it of light...hmmm
Old 10-25-2007, 12:33 PM   #5
aept
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

We have one of those flat square nightlights that stay pretty flush up against the wall in our room. Now, when we had one of those in the hall, my ds could pull it right out, leaving an exposed socket. So, in our bedroom, we installed it and then put a low (2-shelf) bookcase in front of it. DS's bedtime stories are in the bookcase. The nightlight just stays on all the time, but those things use so little energy, and don't get hot, so we figure that's OK. At night-time, there is a blue glow that comes out all around the edges of the bookcase, and kinda reflects off the walls, and that is enough light for our co-sleeping family.

You might be able to easily put one of those behind your dresser or some other large piece of unmoveable furniture.

My only other suggestion is a tabletop/dresser-top very small light, if my other suggestion doesn't give you enough light. Some baby lamps have a regular bulb on top, and a place for a nightlight bulb in the base.
aept is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2007, 01:31 PM   #6
sourpatch_babe
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

What about one of those battery operated ones that you can glue to the wall and light up when you touch them? You'd only need to see if you hear him moving I think, unless you want the light to stay on all night...
like this one http://www.target.com/RiteLite-3-LED-Puck-Light-pk/dp/B000OF409S/sr=1-6/qid=1193340610/ref=sr_1_6/602-6955241-5521469?ie=UTF8&index=target&rh=k%3Abattery%20oper ated%20light&page=1
Dear Baby in my Belly, Please come out. Seriously. It's like a 100 degrees here, IN CANADA. Your dad has taken to calling me puffy. I get that you're a dude and the last thing you want to do is leave a place you're going to spend the rest of your life trying to get back into, but enough. Your room is really cool, come out and see it. Sincerely, Love Mummy
sourpatch_babe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2007, 01:33 PM   #7
tallanvor
Registered Users
seller

Also, blue or red bulbs are better for nightlights as they give off a more gentle light.
tallanvor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2007, 01:34 PM   #8
Sweet_Fantasy_Fox
No Longer Here

My Mood:

i recommend the touch lights, we have a carebear one thats a star, you press it so the light turns on, they hang on the wall or you can set them on the dresser, they do not get hot and do run on batteries
Sweet_Fantasy_Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2007, 01:42 PM   #9
zionnecherub
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Thanks I think we are gonna go with the battery operated ones and just stick them up on the wall out of his reach. Our house is under construction right now, and we are all huddled in one room at night with mattresses on the floor .
Old 10-26-2007, 03:13 PM   #10
Steve's Wife
Registered Users
seller

I have one I got at babies r us. it's a socket and night ligt in one and installs into the socket with a screw. the brighness is adjustable, the the socket is the childproof kind that turns to plug something in. I don't think anything would break on the inside even with a good smack, and it's not hot.
Steve's Wife is offline   Reply With Quote