Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-28-2007, 02:00 AM   #11
joy7s
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: the strangest cough

yup totally sounds like croup to me. Things that help are turning on the shower (so it steams up) and the cold night air. If she is having trouble breathing I would take her to the ER or ped office.

Advertisement

Spring Joy Jesus following,cding, extended bfing,tandem nursing (again!) , homeschooling, mama milk donating, semi crunchy and green mama. Unemployed ped RN married to my one and only n asl Terp since 2/16/00
my three princesses: a (6/26/04) s (9/15/06) and Z (8/5/08)
and little man Z (11/12/10)
joy7s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2007, 02:02 AM   #12
joy7s
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

okay oops I re read your response! Glad you got some meds for her hope she feels better soon!!
Spring Joy Jesus following,cding, extended bfing,tandem nursing (again!) , homeschooling, mama milk donating, semi crunchy and green mama. Unemployed ped RN married to my one and only n asl Terp since 2/16/00
my three princesses: a (6/26/04) s (9/15/06) and Z (8/5/08)
and little man Z (11/12/10)
joy7s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2007, 08:30 AM   #13
sandrc
Registered Users
seller

my dd had croup in january. it scared the living daylights out of us because she couldn't breath. she was coughing and trying to cry and just couldn't get anything out but a sound it got so bad. we put her in the car and rushed her to the emergency room at 5am and by the time we got there she was breathing fine. it was just taking her out of the warm house that helped. the cool air opened up her airways.
if your child ever gets where you don't think she can breath well just bundle her up in a blanket and take her outside for a minute. the shower thing did nothing for us but waste water.

i don't know if they gave you the liquid albuterol but that stuff is nasty. they didn't tell us exactly how to give it so we were giving it every few hours around the clock. turns out dd only needed it when her coughing got real bad and do not give it at night since it will amp your child up. we spent so many sleepless nights until i complained to the doctor about it. they also said you can give a half dose then 30 minutes later give another half dose so it's not so bad to take. my dd would throw it up it was so bad all at once.
Old 10-28-2007, 12:06 PM   #14
4boys1girlforme
Registered Users
Previously: 4boysforme
seller
seller

My Mood:

All my boys get croup several times a year- DS2 is on daily steriod breathing treatments and singulair year round to help fight it. He wakes up with an attack that is similar to an asthma attack and will start vomiting within a minute from the coughing. We have to take them to the ER when they have it to get racemic epinephrine- a breathing treatment that can't be administered at home because they have to be monitored afterwards. They also get a mega dose of long acting steriods that you can't get a prescription for.
You want to keep the air in your home humidified- especially their room and keep it cool. Going outside into cooler air can help during an attack as well as a bathroom steamed up from a hot shower running. Mainly try to keep them calm- when they freak out and cry- it is much worse.
Believe me- croup can be pretty serious!
Lee Ann RN student/ SAHM to Jaret '00, Spencer '03, Preston '05 (CLW at 37 months), Griffin '08 by VBAC (CLW at 21 months), & Mallory '10 by VBAC (CLW at 43 months)! Formerly tandem & bfing for a combined total of nearly 11 years! Also cloth diapering & baby wearingMy HUGE FSOT
4boys1girlforme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2007, 12:10 PM   #15
saongiri
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivparker View Post
Sounds like the same symptoms my son had when he had croup. It usually happens at night. Can't do much about it though.
Ivanna
if it sounds like a seal barking kind of then it could definitely be croup- steam helps- my dd gets it every winter- not much can be done about it- just the steam especially at night- hope your lo feels better soon
Old 10-28-2007, 12:35 PM   #16
BabyNick#2
Registered Users
seller

DS #1 had it two years ago, and I was just coming here to see if anyone could remind me of what it was, cause DS#2 started "barking" last night. When I woke up, I just thought "this sounds familiar...". I totally forgot about the humidifier though, it is so dry here that I am sure that makes it so much worse.
BabyNick#2 is offline   Reply With Quote