Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-25-2007, 08:19 AM   #1
amcess721
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Newborn Eveningtime Fussyness...

Tell me about it...
Particularly...when does it end!?!

Laura is 4 weeks old today. EVERY night since we brought her home she's had a fussy time between 8pmish-1amish that lasts 2-3 hours each night. Last night was from 8-11:45... doesn't want to nurse, sometimes wants to be walked/rocked - but even then only for 5 minutes (if that) at a time and then she's ready for some other movement....

I'm worried that each night she has been rocked/walked to sleep and that we're setting her up for a bad routine where she can't put herself to sleep... I know she's too little to let her "cry it out" (THis is not a thread about CIO!)... but what else can we do? OR is this totally normal and if it is, I go back to my original question of ...how long does this stage last?

Advertisement

Do you Swag? I do! Click here to join swagbucks! Earn points. Get free stuff!
amcess721 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2007, 08:41 AM   #2
luv2recycle
Banned

My Mood:
Re: Newborn Eveningtime Fussyness...

In my experience it only lasts a little while...a couple weeks maybe...but it is probably different with every baby...I only had one of mine do that and I used to dab lavender oil on my shirt and either nurse or snuggle and then they would chill out

GL mama...its frustrating not knowing what your baby wants but it does pass CONGRATS on your lo too
luv2recycle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2007, 08:59 AM   #3
Auravik
Registered Users

When I was pregnant, I sat on my yoga ball a lot. Now, my son is soothed by bouncing on the ball. And, now that I think of it, I had to stand all day at work when I was pregnant with my daughter, and early on she was soothed by the standing sway. (which was really not fun at the end of a long day) Maybe there's a particular way of moving that you did when you were preggers?

And, I don't think that rocking the baby to sleep now will impact sleep patterns later on. I like the way that Dr. Karp calls the first three months "the fourth trimester". It really helped me to think of it that way.
Old 10-25-2007, 12:48 PM   #4
Toby_99833
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

This is TOTALLY normal. My baby's time is between 7pm and 9pm when she goes to bed. She is five months old and I still rock/walk her to sleep. DH and I just "double team" her and one of is plays with her while the other one gets her ready for bed (i.e. putting jammies on, lotion, etc.) IMO she is still too little to self sooth to sleep. She can self sooth when she wakes up at night some times, but I figure what is the big deal of spending 20 min a night getting her into a deep sleep if it is going to help her sleep at night. I am worried about how and when we will get her to sleep on her own, but I think that once she is "old enough" we can make the transition. I figure nothing in parenting is "easy" why should this be!
Old 10-25-2007, 02:48 PM   #5
jls~Kain~Drake
Registered Users

My Mood:

Ds1 had colic-like symptoms for 3 weeks...from about...11 to 2 - roughly. Sometimes started earlier, ended later, etc.
Old 10-25-2007, 09:52 PM   #6
L J
Gazelle Intense
seller
seller

Totally normal. Henry's "witching hours" were from 5pm-9pm every night until he was between 8-10 weeks old. He would cry and cry, nothing would help. Other than nursing, the only thing that would help would be sitting in the warm bathroom with the water in the bath tub running (yeah, yeah, I was post partum, I didn't give a flip about conserving water ) and the lights off bouncing on the birthing (yoga) ball. But, as soon as I would try to get off the ball or cut the water off, he was right back awake.

I don't feel like I set him up for bad sleeping habits, or anything like that, but I don't make him "put himself to sleep" either. He is always rocked or nursed (or both) to sleep - its just the most painless way of going about it.
L J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2007, 03:27 AM   #7
lulusmom
Keepin' it Crunchy!
seller

My Mood:

Most of the time this gets worse if you don't figure out how to better soothe your little one, and by 2 months or so it's called colic. I am a firm believer there's no such thing as colic, only a baby who isn't properly being soothed. Read The Happiest Baby on the Block or get the DVD. It is soooooo helpful to do the technique in that book. My baby gets the same treatment every night when she starts getting to her fussy time, and it works like a charm every time. Two of our friends babies are just awful. We feel sorry for them every time we go over to their houses, their kiddos are always crying and fussing and they have no clue what to do for them. I've told them to go get this book but they haven't, and they are totally amazed when I can quiet down their babies in just a few minutes and get them sleeping soundly.

Helen-Natural birthing, extended bf'ing, cosleeping, non-vaxxin' mama to Holly Lu 8/18/07
lulusmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2007, 06:56 AM   #8
amcess721
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Thanks for all the reassurance that it does get better

I was already planning on getting the happiest baby book. ... maybe I'll just go over to amazon now and get it!

Last night was WONDERFUL! We're trying to do a routine of bath (she loves it!), new dipe, pj's, rock/nurse ... last night we added in some of that lavender lotion after the bath and maybe that helped...she nursed for about 15 minutes and passed right out! In bed before 9pm!

Old 10-26-2007, 09:45 AM   #9
jazzpurr88
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

my lil guy is 3 weeks old and does the same thing and I found he liked being in the sling while I cleaned up the kitchen and put laundry away. he is asleep within 5 or 10 minutes.
Old 10-26-2007, 01:32 PM   #10
amcess721
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzpurr88 View Post
my lil guy is 3 weeks old and does the same thing and I found he liked being in the sling while I cleaned up the kitchen and put laundry away. he is asleep within 5 or 10 minutes.

I can't get Laura to even fit in our sling... I've tried twice and I just can't get it to fit us right... feels like she's going to drop out of it.

I did pick up a copy of the happiest baby book today!!! Plan to read it tomorrow on our 2 hour car trip...