Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-26-2006, 09:36 PM   #21
drenotdoctor
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: *Another* vax thread-Need help for aptmt tomorrow

Try www.mercola.com I find that website helpful for a lot of things. HTH!

I am anti-vax, but only b/c my ds has autism from a vax. Otherwise we probably would have just done "what you are supposed to do" and continue to vaccinate him & the baby (who has yet to have a single shot, and won't have them in the future )

Every state has an exemption form for not vaccinating. DS is at a school for kids with autism, (he's almost 3) and we had to turn one in. It was VERY easy. All I did was call the doc & he did it all for us.

Advertisement

Old 07-26-2006, 10:14 PM   #22
scatterbrainedmom
Registered Users

My Mood:
Re: *Another* vax thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by cr2005
I just went to my 4 year olds well check today and I said I was concerned about vaxing anymore so i didn't get any today. My ped told me that it was required for school here and that I would have to get them done. Do I have to have a doctor sign an exemption form?

i'm in texas. your doctor does not have to sign anything. you have to call austin and request vaccine exeption forms and have them notarized.
Old 07-27-2006, 12:20 AM   #23
snowbird25ca
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

If you want to vax but not on the AAP's schedule, this website is very helpful:

http://www.lewrockwell.com/miller/miller15.html

The biggest piece of advice I can give you is if that you have any doubts whatsoever, delay, delay, delay!

Speaking from experience here as a mom who had the worst knot in her stomach taking my dd in for her 2nd DTaP/HIB/Polio vax at 6 months but still went ahead with the shot & then my dd had a reaction to it. I felt so guilty afterwards because I had just tried to tell myself it was normal anxiety despite my misgivings...

Anyways, I agree with the split them up & whatever you do don't do the c-pox & MMR at the same time... there have been kids having problems with the combo. And don't do any vaxes if your child has so much as a sniffle, wait until she's back at 100%...

You can always take your dd back to have her vaxes when you feel comfortable with the research you've done, but once the vax is given, there's no going back regardless of whether or not dd has a reaction.

I found this site: http://www.vran.org/ to have lots of useful info about specific diseases and disease history. Granted it does fall more on the side of anti-vax, but if you look for the journal articles and read the research part, it's useful...

When I initially researched dd's delayed/selective vax schedule, I made my decisions based on the research of each individual disease. What the possible complications were, was there treatment available for them, what age group/population did complications usually happen in, that kind of thing. Also whether boosters are required, long term protection/coverage of the vax - ie how effective is it, since some diseases are pretty minor in childhood but can be serious in adulthood... I know some people choose not to vax figuring their kid is unlikely to ever get the disease, but for us, if there was a disease I was honestly worried about dd getting right now, we would continue to vax for it.

Good luck in your research & decisions. It's really very hard to weed through the hype from both sides and try to find enough facts to make an educated decision. Ultimately, you have to go with your gut instinct I think. That's been my experience anyways...

eta: Dd hasn't had anymore vaxes since her reaction at 6months and we are waiting until she's 11 or 12 to revisit the issue. Our new little guy won't get any vaxes at all until he's out of his toddler years at the earliest, and then we'll re-evaluate then. Sorry for writing such a long novel, I hope that this gives you something to start with anyways.

Last edited by snowbird25ca; 07-27-2006 at 12:23 AM.
snowbird25ca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2006, 06:58 AM   #24
SugarBunsWool&More
Formerly: RileysMama
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by drenotdoctor
Try www.mercola.com I find that website helpful for a lot of things. HTH!

I am anti-vax, but only b/c my ds has autism from a vax. Otherwise we probably would have just done "what you are supposed to do" and continue to vaccinate him & the baby (who has yet to have a single shot, and won't have them in the future )

Every state has an exemption form for not vaccinating. DS is at a school for kids with autism, (he's almost 3) and we had to turn one in. It was VERY easy. All I did was call the doc & he did it all for us.
Thanks Dre! I'll search through that site today and see what I can learn.
SugarBunsWool&More is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2006, 07:02 AM   #25
SugarBunsWool&More
seller

My Mood:

[QUOTE=snowbird25ca]The biggest piece of advice I can give you is if that you have any doubts whatsoever, delay, delay, delay!

Good luck in your research & decisions. It's really very hard to weed through the hype from both sides and try to find enough facts to make an educated decision. Ultimately, you have to go with your gut instinct I think. That's been my experience anyways...
QUOTE]

Thanks Trudy! I'll keep doing research and I will definitely not be going with the scheduled shots today. I want to be comfortable with it and I'm just not right now. My family and my DH are very pro-vax so I'm trying to convince DH to just let me do some research and we'll decide from there, which he's willing to do. My family can just buzz off about it. LOL
Old 07-27-2006, 07:22 AM   #26
hauser
Registered Users
seller

Those are great sites. Very informative. I enjoyed reading them even though we vax our oldest on schedule and our youngest slightly delayed(meaning we didn't start shots until 3 months old). For us vaxing is important because we travel a lot. Things that are no longer common in the US can easily be run into on an international flight or foreign country!! I feel vaxing my youngest is even more important because he has spina bifida. Due to his likelyhood to have several surgeries on his spine, infection is a very serious issue. It goes right to the spinal collumn and brain!! Meningitis is a big one!! If we didn't travel I think we would delay vax our oldest (starting them at one to two years), but still vax the yougest almost on time.

Ultimately if read up and stay informed then you will be okay! Do what you feel is right, and if you are uneasy you can always delay a bit or a long time!
Old 07-27-2006, 07:56 AM   #27
automatik2
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: *Another* vax thread-Need help for aptmt today at 3:30!

A book that I have found very informative and useful is What Your Doctor May NOT Tell You About Childhood Vaccinations by Stephanie Cave (i might have butchered the title of the book there a bit...)

It isn't anti - vax, but it is pro- informed parents.

Here are some websites I have bookmarked (in addition to what was already mentioned)

http://www.larkfarm.com/ap.htm
http://www.thememoryhole.org/health/...s_vaccines.htm
http://www.vaccines.bizland.com/intro.html

The best advice I received was to delay if you aren't 100% sure you want to give the vax. You can always give the vax later, but you can never take it back once you give it.
Old 07-27-2006, 08:01 AM   #28
counterGOPI
Registered Users
seller

we personally don't vax. too many dangers. we were going to delay vax but after attending a seminar and see the dangers of the vaxs even then we decided its too dangerous and risky and plain old un-neccesary for us. the only vax any of our kids will ever get will be the 1 and only one neccesary to travel to India.now im not saying thats the case for everyone though, but PLEASE research before you get another shot!! be informed!!!!!!!!!! def at least delay for now,especially if they are giving the all in one shots(like dtap, etc) b/c those are the WORST! a man my dh works with daughter has seizurs for the rest of her life b/c of that shot

IDSO: Ruskovilla and Disana items & hanna andersson play dresses

Last edited by counterGOPI; 07-27-2006 at 08:03 AM.
counterGOPI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2006, 08:19 AM   #29
SugarBunsWool&More
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tabs416
A book that I have found very informative and useful is What Your Doctor May NOT Tell You About Childhood Vaccinations by Stephanie Cave (i might have butchered the title of the book there a bit...)

It isn't anti - vax, but it is pro- informed parents.

Here are some websites I have bookmarked (in addition to what was already mentioned)

http://www.larkfarm.com/ap.htm
http://www.thememoryhole.org/health/...s_vaccines.htm
http://www.vaccines.bizland.com/intro.html

The best advice I received was to delay if you aren't 100% sure you want to give the vax. You can always give the vax later, but you can never take it back once you give it.
Thank you Becky.
Old 07-27-2006, 08:20 AM   #30
SugarBunsWool&More
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by counterGOPI
we personally don't vax. too many dangers. we were going to delay vax but after attending a seminar and see the dangers of the vaxs even then we decided its too dangerous and risky and plain old un-neccesary for us. the only vax any of our kids will ever get will be the 1 and only one neccesary to travel to India.now im not saying thats the case for everyone though, but PLEASE research before you get another shot!! be informed!!!!!!!!!! def at least delay for now,especially if they are giving the all in one shots(like dtap, etc) b/c those are the WORST! a man my dh works with daughter has seizurs for the rest of her life b/c of that shot
Thank you! We will be going on a delayed schedule from here on out.