Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-25-2007, 01:09 PM   #11
Shawnah
sitesupporter
seller

My Mood:
Re: Bladder infections 3 in one year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shyla View Post
Up cranberry and blueberry intake lessen sugar and soap in baths. We used to have bladder infection problems often in this house and since we have stopped adding bubbles to baths, and anytime we think they are about to get a UI we give lots of blueberries and cranberry juice mixed with pinapple (no sugars added to any of the juices) and lessened all sugar intake we havent had a problem since I hope this helps. Bladder infections are no fun
I will definitely try it! I didn't know blueberries were helpful too. I feel awful I get UTI very often myself too so I guess I passed on my bad genes poor kiddo. I'll have to watch her sugar intake.. she does like her gerber cookies so maybe we will have to find something a little healthier for her to snack on. I appreciate it. It's nice to know I'm not the only one.

Advertisement

Old 10-25-2007, 01:10 PM   #12
mamaejb
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Just talked with my neighbor, whose dd got a LOT of BI as a baby. She had to nix baths, just went with showers and changed soap. She only uses Dove on her now and is very careful when washing that area, to make sure all the soap gets washed away. Also, cranberry juice is a great idea! Totally forgot about that!
Old 10-25-2007, 01:21 PM   #13
Shawnah
sitesupporter
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamaejb View Post
Just talked with my neighbor, whose dd got a LOT of BI as a baby. She had to nix baths, just went with showers and changed soap. She only uses Dove on her now and is very careful when washing that area, to make sure all the soap gets washed away. Also, cranberry juice is a great idea! Totally forgot about that!
Thank you soo much I soo appreciate it!! You know she isn't a tiny baby anymore I should totally try just plain ol dove. Great tip!
Old 10-25-2007, 01:48 PM   #14
ThatLinGirl
Registered Users
seller

Oh, I'm so sorry.

I wouldn't use soap on her vulva at all -- just plain water is best -- though if you mean it would be in the water from washing other parts, that makes sense.

Lindsay, mama to Caroline Lois (05/28/06) and scrunchy new Kate (12/31/08)
ThatLinGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2007, 01:55 PM   #15
bodiejake
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawnah View Post
Thanks Suzanne! I've never given her cranberry juice but today her doctor did say I should start to definitely give it to her. I think I'm going to try showers and switch from regular california baby to the unscented line to see if that could help to. I guess I should think about my wipes solution too. Right now I use the NE teafreelavfree foaming solution. I should go back to basics and just make my own again something simple. If anyone has suggestions on that I'm an open book! Thanks again
I think the cranberry juice and changing the bath wash will help a lot.
Old 10-25-2007, 01:55 PM   #16
myr44
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

For UTI's (and to help have a healthy overall intestinal flora) you can use probiotics (acidophilus). I know they sell some for kids as well, but the good kind is normally refrigerated. You can google the info, you'll find loads on it. Yogurt often has live acidophilus as well, so you can give your dd loads of yogurt!!

I know apple cider vinegar is supposed to be good for UTI's as well (regulates the ph making it less hospitable to bacteria) but I can't imagine making a 14mth old drink a spoonful of that stuff

FWIW, I don't see how cd'ing would force a UTI... As pp said, poop would get "in there" with sposies as well, so switching would not really change anything.
Old 10-25-2007, 03:51 PM   #17
*Alabamamom*
sitesupporter
seller

My Mood:

I had lots and lots of bladder infections as a child myself.. and my daughters got them a couple of times when they were younger and I tell it what the culprit was in all of our cases = the baths! It doesn't matter if there's bubbles or not, the dirt off the skin gets up in there and causes the problem.. Just do showers as much as possible and really limit the baths to occasionally to prevent the infections. The cranberry juice also helps very much when stricken with an infection.. I'm curious now how do you know a 15 mo old has a bladder infection?
Granna to two amazing grandsons!! <3
*Alabamamom* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2007, 03:59 PM   #18
Shawnah
sitesupporter
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by *bamamom* View Post
I had lots and lots of bladder infections as a child myself.. and my daughters got them a couple of times when they were younger and I tell it what the culprit was in all of our cases = the baths! It doesn't matter if there's bubbles or not, the dirt off the skin gets up in there and causes the problem.. Just do showers as much as possible and really limit the baths to occasionally to prevent the infections. The cranberry juice also helps very much when stricken with an infection.. I'm curious now how do you know a 15 mo old has a bladder infection?
Well unfortunately since this is her third one we know the signs. She has a temp of 102 but no runny nose no cough no congestion. They try to place a pee bag on her and catch the pee in the doctors office to test. Sometimes that works and she will go other times they have to do a catheter on her (which they did today) they then dip test it which shows positive or negative for blood in the urine and then they send it away to be cultured to find out what bacteria it's from. Since this is her third her doctor most likely will send her for more testing to be safe. Sooo showers it is for a while and a switch in soap. I'm hoping it will help her. We will see I just feel soo bad for her today.
Old 10-25-2007, 04:09 PM   #19
*Alabamamom*
sitesupporter
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawnah View Post
Well unfortunately since this is her third one we know the signs. She has a temp of 102 but no runny nose no cough no congestion. They try to place a pee bag on her and catch the pee in the doctors office to test. Sometimes that works and she will go other times they have to do a catheter on her (which they did today) they then dip test it which shows positive or negative for blood in the urine and then they send it away to be cultured to find out what bacteria it's from. Since this is her third her doctor most likely will send her for more testing to be safe. Sooo showers it is for a while and a switch in soap. I'm hoping it will help her. We will see I just feel soo bad for her today.
I see.. I was just thinking a fever but didn't know if she got stinky pee or no pee or something else... The only way I knew with my girls was because they would complain that it hurt during urination (they were older though)... Man, makes me wonder if they could have had a BI in toddler years and I just didn't think about it because Lord knows they had a few occasions with just a fever and no other signs of sickness.. I'm so much more observant this time around! LOL! Thanks for sharing though, I hope your precious one feels better soon bless her heart..
Granna to two amazing grandsons!! <3
*Alabamamom* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2007, 04:11 PM   #20
craftymomto5
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Smile Re: Bladder infections 3 in one year

momma! I know what you are going through. My dd gets those too. We are supposed to have her tested each time she runs a fever b/c she does have the kidney reflux that usually causes them. Then if she gets one it tends to trigger her seizures. Since we have her on seizure meds then I usually don't take her in I just push cranberry juice. We have an mild antibiotic but she refuses to take it. I can't even hide it in anything. Anyway I only give her showers, of course give her cranberry juice, give her alot of yogurt and change her often. I also give her crackers to chew on so it keeps her stool firmer. I like the banana suggestion as well. I also use fleece/microfleece liners in her diapers. Even if her stools are soft the liners tend to keep it more confined then the regular ones. Just a suggestion. Good luck and I sure hope that she outgrows them soon. Did you see a urologist when they did the tests?
craftymomto5 is offline   Reply With Quote