Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-25-2007, 02:01 PM   #1
flobee76
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Question My 2 month old is over weight??

Yesterday at my DS's 2 month check, his dr. stated that he was slightly overweight. DS is EBF and I do so on-demand, which is also what his dr. suggested from the beginning. Well, the kid grew another inch and gained 6 lbs. in one month. YIKES. He is 25 in. long and 15.5 lbs. So, Dr. told me to try and distinguish whether DS is really hungry or needs to be pacified.

I have found that DS has intense sucking needs and gladly takes a binky. Did anyone else face this issue? Is DS's Dr. nuts? Does this give an indication on how he will be as an adult?

Our DD has always been a skinny-minnie, so I don't know how to take this.

I am actually embarrassed, like I am a horrible mom for having an overweight baby.

Advertisement

Mom to DD (5/04), DS (8/07), DD (2/09)DD (5/13), Blessing #4 in the arms of Jesus 11/2011

Jesus-follower, Traditional Foodie, Homeschooler, frugal-er
flobee76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2007, 02:03 PM   #2
kannondicarpo
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: My 2 month old is over weight??

hogwash

that dr is a weirdo...

nak (you should do the same)

Charlene Keala || 9.27.10, Zakary Michael || 10.25.12 & Baby "Momomi" || October 2014 ~

Loving life on the Big Island!
kannondicarpo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2007, 02:04 PM   #3
LissAnne
Registered Users
seller

The dr is NUTS!
LissAnne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2007, 02:08 PM   #4
Shyla
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Dr. is nutz my eldest ds was way over the 100th percentile and was constantly getting larger His pedi always told me he is just ment to be a big boy I love our pedi. He is now 4 years old and as big as his almost 6 year old sister. He is not fat or overweight just not in the same range as his peers. Dont worry about it he is not fat and you are not doing anything wrong. Its not like your giving him bottles of chocolate milk and candy all day. He will be perfectly fine and healthy Feed him when hes hungry he knows better than the dr.
ISO GMS & Wool:

Last edited by Shyla; 10-25-2007 at 02:10 PM.
Shyla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2007, 02:09 PM   #5
ClothDiaperMePlease
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

feed the baby!!!!!!!!!!!!!! some kids are bigger,if you were feeing him something else, maybe, but ebf, he is fine.
The midwife considers the miracle of childbirth as normal, and leaves it alone unless there's trouble. The obstetrician normally sees childbirth as trouble. If he leaves it alone, it's a miracle.-Sheila Stubbs
ClothDiaperMePlease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2007, 02:11 PM   #6
Jillybean
Registered Users
seller

Your DR is nuts, trust your gut mama, feed that baby when YOU think he's hungry.
Old 10-25-2007, 02:12 PM   #7
sweetietooth
I *heart* fresh fluff.
seller

That's not right! I think my baby was that same weight as yours at two months - he's almost 6 months now and surely over 20 lbs! There is no such thing as an overweight EBF baby! (Besides, I thought I read somewhere that your milk becomes more watery after the milk's been emptied ) Either way, that dr is full of crap. (sorry, he is!) Don't feel bad!
Old 10-25-2007, 02:21 PM   #8
sourpatch_babe
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Feed your baby mama! if your son is overweight, my kid was obese at that age. And now at two he actually has a very muscular chest (you can tell right away that it's not fat but muscles). He's going by what the weight charts say and those are based in FF children who don't gain as much weight in the beginning as EBF babies. Once your son starts to go mobile, you'll see that his cherub rolls will start to distribute more evenly and that he will look like he's lost weight when he hasn't. You'll get to a point once he's running around where you will think that he's not eating enough because he doesn't seem to be gaining weight/getting skinnier; it's just his body being what a baby's body should be: chunky at first, skinnier later. He's not going to have any weight problems unless your breastmilk consists of hershey's syrup. Is your breastmilk made of hershey's syrup?? lOL
Dear Baby in my Belly, Please come out. Seriously. It's like a 100 degrees here, IN CANADA. Your dad has taken to calling me puffy. I get that you're a dude and the last thing you want to do is leave a place you're going to spend the rest of your life trying to get back into, but enough. Your room is really cool, come out and see it. Sincerely, Love Mummy
sourpatch_babe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2007, 02:25 PM   #9
jjaelovesenglish
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by flobee76 View Post
Yesterday at my DS's 2 month check, his dr. stated that he was slightly overweight. DS is EBF and I do so on-demand, which is also what his dr. suggested from the beginning. Well, the kid grew another inch and gained 6 lbs. in one month. YIKES. He is 25 in. long and 15.5 lbs. So, Dr. told me to try and distinguish whether DS is really hungry or needs to be pacified.

I have found that DS has intense sucking needs and gladly takes a binky. Did anyone else face this issue? Is DS's Dr. nuts? Does this give an indication on how he will be as an adult?

Our DD has always been a skinny-minnie, so I don't know how to take this.

I am actually embarrassed, like I am a horrible mom for having an overweight baby.
Change DR's dear, he is full of it. DD was 13lbs 10 oz and 23 inches at her 2 month check and dr said as long as she is happy and healthy and EBF it doesn't mean anything until after a year. Keep up the good work mama and ignore the bozo. Seriously!
Old 10-25-2007, 02:26 PM   #10
jjaelovesenglish
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Oh, and those charts were intended for formula fed babes to make sure they were getting enough.