Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-25-2007, 05:15 PM   #21
Craftin'Diva
Registered Users
Formerly: Diaper'nDiva
seller

My Mood:
Re: My 2 month old is over weight??

Breastfed babies CAN NOT overeat. They eat to satisfy. Breast milk is the absolute best thing he can be drinking. He is big because that is the way he is supposed to be, period. My son was 16 pounds at 8 weeks old (I remember because of a nasty, nasty hospital visit) and he is now 4 years old and 46" tall and 48 pounds... he's often confused with a 6 year old but he is NOT overweight by any stretch of the imagination... he's just a big boy

Advertisement

Jeri, Mama to Elijah (9.29.03), Eden (10.2.06), a (1/12) and full time StepMonster to Shelby (16). Married to my soul mate, Eric for over 10 years! Awaiting a rainbow after our loss and 5 years of secondary infertility!
"A strong person is not one who doesn't cry. A strong person is one who is quiet and sheds a tear for a moment, then picks up her sword and fights again!"
Craftin'Diva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2007, 05:32 PM   #22
heidisue
seller
seller

My Mood:

Good BF'ing mama!! He'll slim down later
heidisue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2007, 03:31 AM   #23
lulusmom
Keepin' it Crunchy!
seller

My Mood:

My ped told me it's impossible to overfeed a baby that's exclusively breastfed. There are many cultures that do all the pacifying at the breast and don't use pacifiers of any kind, and those kids all end up okay. Your doctor is a wack job.

Helen-Natural birthing, extended bf'ing, cosleeping, non-vaxxin' mama to Holly Lu 8/18/07
lulusmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2007, 04:26 AM   #24
EmsMom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

BF babies gain a lot in the first 4-6mos and they look like little butterball turkeys DS was 18.5lbs at two months lol so you have nothing to worry about. Now at 9mos he's only 23lbs. DD was the same, I think since she was 6mos old she's gained around 10lbs and she's 2yrs old! Don't worry about it, you'll see him start to stretch out and stop gaining in a few months.
EmsMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2007, 06:35 AM   #25
Suzanne
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I've been avoiding this thread because I knew it would piss me off, but I cannot hold off anymore. . . . .that is SO STUPID! Really, please, do not get worked up over this. Your body knows how much food your baby needs, not your doctor. The words "overweight" and "breastfed newborn" should never be used together.

And I say this of a mom of two very skinny boys, and I had just the opposite problem. I would have loved a nice chunky newborn like that You are doing a great job, please please don't let this discourage you.
Suzanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2007, 06:56 AM   #26
sourpatch_babe
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmsMom View Post
BF babies gain a lot in the first 4-6mos and they look like little butterball turkeys DS was 18.5lbs at two months lol so you have nothing to worry about. Now at 9mos he's only 23lbs. DD was the same, I think since she was 6mos old she's gained around 10lbs and she's 2yrs old! Don't worry about it, you'll see him start to stretch out and stop gaining in a few months.

Mmmm...butterball turkey babies with a little fluff on the side....
Dear Baby in my Belly, Please come out. Seriously. It's like a 100 degrees here, IN CANADA. Your dad has taken to calling me puffy. I get that you're a dude and the last thing you want to do is leave a place you're going to spend the rest of your life trying to get back into, but enough. Your room is really cool, come out and see it. Sincerely, Love Mummy
sourpatch_babe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2007, 07:48 AM   #27
rebeccah5
Behold: The Official Thread-Killer
seller

My Mood:

Umm... y'all may think I'm stupid here, but I wouldn't go so far as to call the dr. an idiot. Uninformed or overly cautious maybe, but I don't know that I'd go so far as to change drs over this if it's an isolated incident. I don't see eye to eye with my ped on everything, but he has always taken awesome care of my kids.

the ped we used for DD was the same ped who saw me as a little girl. He also commented that DD was in a higher pctile as an infant, but he told me that he was not as concerned about it in infancy when she was EBF. he mostly was telling me he just was giving me that info so we could watch her growth, but he said it wasn't anything to worry about right then. Both of my kids have been in high percentiles as infants, but they both evened out over time. My DS was in the 80th pctile as an infant, but now he is in the 30th (despite the fact that people are always commenting on how big he is.) DD was somewhere between 60 & 70 as an infant, but is now right at the 50th.

As for the pacifying vs. eating... if it doesn't bother you for him to be pacifying himself at the breast, then I wouldn't try to analyze it. For me personally, my DD wouldn't take a pacifier, and I didn't mind frequent nursing/suckling, so I didn't push it. With DS, however, he wanted to be attached at the breast 24/7 and was regurgitating milk a lot from overeating, so I tried using the pacifier some and it worked great for us. He still nursed frequently, so he was satisfied nutritionally and we had that bonding time, but his extra sucking needs were satisfied as well.

GL!
Check out my knitting projects here and my stash here
rebeccah5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2007, 07:53 AM   #28
MamaZ
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Well then I guess all my kids are obese That's about the same weight for all three of my kids at that age...my DD is 8 weeks today and when I weighed her the other day she was already 13 lbs.

As long as your LO is not under weight, eating well and happy, to heck with the doc. Even WIC told me they are not concerned with chunky babies, only very skinny babies.

Plus chunky babies are absolutely adorable!!
MamaZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2007, 08:09 AM   #29
urchin_grey
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

No, that doesn't have anything to do with his weight as an adult... I have 4 little sisters and the only one who was chubby as a baby and toddler turned out to the be skinniest of all of us.
urchin_grey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2007, 08:20 AM   #30
Jonesy
SHWING!
seller

My Mood:

Yep...need another Dr.!!! A 2 mo. old INFANT cannot overeat, espeically on breastmilk. That's crazy! Your LO sounds like a happy healthy baby and you are doing your best to give him the BEST!!! Rock on, mama!!!

And I agree, babies will rolls are ADORABLE!!!!