Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-26-2007, 03:09 PM   #41
lilyfish
Registered Users
seller

Re: My 2 month old is over weight??

Your son's doctor does not know what he is talking about. An EBF 2-month-old canNOT be overweight. Period. End of story.

In my experience, babies will sometimes gain a LOT of weight in the first few months, and then the weight gain will slow down dramatically over time. It happened with my son, and with my nephew, as well. Do not worry. If your baby is hungry, feed him. Don't listen to your uneducated doc. Ugh.

Advertisement

~ emma goldman
lilyfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2007, 04:14 PM   #42
House of Blue
Registered Users
seller

I don't think you can actually over-feed an infant that is EBF but at the same time I don't think the advice is all bad. I know a lot of people will nurse 1st no matter what the cry may be an sometimes doing something other than an automatic boob can sometimes be the answer. Hunger is hunger, comfort is a different need. Although it's fine to sometimes gain comfort from nursing it's also great to teach your child to obtain comfort from things other than food GWIM?

Still, it gets right down to your comfort level and your instincts. If your instincts are telling you to feed your baby ASAP on every cry I don't think that should be ignored. Maybe try wearing baby when she's fussy. Babies who are worn fuss and cry less and fewer tears may result in a baby crying to nurse for comfort less. Regardless, sounds like you are doing a great job mum!!

Last edited by House of Blue; 10-26-2007 at 04:16 PM.
House of Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2007, 06:49 PM   #43
weddell
Registered Users
seller

I wouldn't worry. BF babies gain A LOT at first and then slow way down a few months later. It's a different growth pattern than formula fed infants.
weddell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2007, 06:58 PM   #44
Corey3739
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

There's nothing wrong with a chubby BF baby
Old 10-26-2007, 09:28 PM   #45
RockinClothBunz
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Your doc is nuts. Ava is 26 inches and 19 pounds. She is <5% for height and 50-75% for weight. She is very chunky for her height. My ped congratulats me on making my baby so healthy with just my breastmilk. Yes she gets solids now but she has been chunky since 2 months and she didn't start food until 6 months. Oh, and she takes a paci so that doesn't make a difference. DS has always been so skinny. I can't find pants for him because they fall off his little waist and I can't find pants for dd because her thighs are too large. My ped says she will turn out just like her parents, small.
Auntie to Trentin 5-31-09
RockinClothBunz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2007, 11:37 PM   #46
tattoomommy
Registered Users

My Mood:

i think that your doctor is crazy, my 2 month old son weighs i tiny bit less then yours! 13lbs and 23 inshes! If he is hungry then feed him you are his mother you know what he needs. My first son i think weighed around that as well when he was 2 months!
Once he starts to crawl and walk he will slim down abit! Dont worry to much about it! go with your gut!
tattoomommy is offline   Reply With Quote