Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-25-2007, 02:13 PM   #1
CarrieAnn0413
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
No Cry Sleep Solution, help

I have read the book and want to try it out. I would like to get my dd in her toddler bed for most of the night at least so I can enjoy some comfortable sleep and so dh and I can start working on #2. But more than anything I want to teach my dd to fall asleep without nursing. I know this is going to be a big job but I can't do it much longer. It is getting to be to much for me. And recently she has started needing to have my breast in her mouth for her whole nap. I can't sit on the bed for 2 hours while she sleeps. I mean I like to pin but not for 2 hours and I do have other things to do that I like to get done while she sleeps.

Has anyone here tried any of the ideas from this book? what worked/didn't work? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I am thinking of trying ( I cant remember the name) the one where you pull the nipple out once she has slowed down on sucking and continue to pull it out sooner and sooner.

A big question I have is I usually (because we were, and still part time, co-sleep) nurse her to sleep in our bed. so then I carry her asleep to her bed. I dont know if this is the best way to go or if I should nurse her to sleep in her room next to her bed so she associates that area/bed with going to sleep. My concern with this is that she will begin to associate her bed with nursing instead of just mine. So what do you think will be easier, nursing her in my bed and then moving her or moving the whole bed time routine to her room and work on lessening the nursing in there?

TIA for any help with this.

Needed to add something, and it is oh so bad, but DH and I cant fall asleep without the tv on. dh doesnt actually watch it (just for background noise) but I actually watch it til I fall asleep. I have been doing it for years and so now dd falls asleep so so much better if there is noise. She doesnt watch the tv because she is nursing. I dont turn it on until she is nursing. but she hears it so I am wondering if I should get her one of those noise machines for her room so she will sleep better and not be woken up by us walking around on our noisy hard wood floors or using the bathroom or making baby #2 LOL (sorry, tmi i am sure). dh's cousin just had a baby and they have a white noise type baby sleep machine that they play for their lo to fall asleep to. I know it will be just another thing she will "need" to fall asleep but at least it wont be me or a pacifier. Does anyone have an opinion on this idea. Or use a machine like this that they like and could recommend to me. I have been looking at a few on Amazon and reading the reviews.

Advertisement

Last edited by CarrieAnn0413; 10-25-2007 at 02:56 PM.
CarrieAnn0413 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2007, 02:48 PM   #2
flobee76
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: No Cry Sleep Solution, help

We have this book and the one for Preschoolers. Anyway, both books are great and we implemented some of the techniques. The main thing that we did was moved bedtime routines earlier in the evening. We found that to be a smoother transition. Also, when DD was around a year old, I began putting her to bed sleepy, but not asleep. We nursed in her room and when she was done, I would lay her down in her crib. That was hard at first. She would definitely cry, but I would go in there and comfort her by massaging her back, singing to her, etc.

DD occasionally has sleep issues now, but that's mainly when she is sick or going through a growth spurt.

I definitely would suggest moving her bedtime routine to her room. It will definitely associate her room to being a cozy, comfy place to fall asleep in.
Mom to DD (5/04), DS (8/07), DD (2/09)DD (5/13), Blessing #4 in the arms of Jesus 11/2011

Jesus-follower, Traditional Foodie, Homeschooler, frugal-er
flobee76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2007, 02:58 PM   #3
CarrieAnn0413
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by flobee76 View Post
We have this book and the one for Preschoolers. Anyway, both books are great and we implemented some of the techniques. The main thing that we did was moved bedtime routines earlier in the evening. We found that to be a smoother transition. Also, when DD was around a year old, I began putting her to bed sleepy, but not asleep. We nursed in her room and when she was done, I would lay her down in her crib. That was hard at first. She would definitely cry, but I would go in there and comfort her by massaging her back, singing to her, etc.

DD occasionally has sleep issues now, but that's mainly when she is sick or going through a growth spurt.

I definitely would suggest moving her bedtime routine to her room. It will definitely associate her room to being a cozy, comfy place to fall asleep in.

Thanks, I did change her bed time to be earlier after reading the book and it made a huge difference in how long it takes her to fall asleep. I was so happy with that.
Old 10-25-2007, 03:02 PM   #4
flobee76
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarrieAnn0413 View Post

Needed to add something, and it is oh so bad, but DH and I cant fall asleep without the tv on. dh doesnt actually watch it (just for background noise) but I actually watch it til I fall asleep. I have been doing it for years and so now dd falls asleep so so much better if there is noise. She doesnt watch the tv because she is nursing. I dont turn it on until she is nursing. but she hears it so I am wondering if I should get her one of those noise machines for her room so she will sleep better and not be woken up by us walking around on our noisy hard wood floors or using the bathroom or making baby #2 LOL (sorry, tmi i am sure). dh's cousin just had a baby and they have a white noise type baby sleep machine that they play for their lo to fall asleep to. I know it will be just another thing she will "need" to fall asleep but at least it wont be me or a pacifier. Does anyone have an opinion on this idea. Or use a machine like this that they like and could recommend to me. I have been looking at a few on Amazon and reading the reviews.
Dh & I have always used a sound machine, so we knew that DD was used it when she was rooming in with us in her bassinet. When she moved to the crib, I bought one for her and she needs it every night. I know that we'll need one for DS when he moves to his crib as well.

Sound machines are awesome for those who need that white noise.
Mom to DD (5/04), DS (8/07), DD (2/09)DD (5/13), Blessing #4 in the arms of Jesus 11/2011

Jesus-follower, Traditional Foodie, Homeschooler, frugal-er
flobee76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2007, 03:17 PM   #5
CarrieAnn0413
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by flobee76 View Post
Dh & I have always used a sound machine, so we knew that DD was used it when she was rooming in with us in her bassinet. When she moved to the crib, I bought one for her and she needs it every night. I know that we'll need one for DS when he moves to his crib as well.

Sound machines are awesome for those who need that white noise.
Thanks again, I am gonna have to get one. I think she will do good with it. Time for some shopping
Old 10-25-2007, 05:14 PM   #6
Charliesmom
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarrieAnn0413 View Post
Has anyone here tried any of the ideas from this book? what worked/didn't work? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I am thinking of trying ( I cant remember the name) the one where you pull the nipple out once she has slowed down on sucking and continue to pull it out sooner and sooner.

A big question I have is I usually (because we were, and still part time, co-sleep) nurse her to sleep in our bed. so then I carry her asleep to her bed. I dont know if this is the best way to go or if I should nurse her to sleep in her room next to her bed so she associates that area/bed with going to sleep. My concern with this is that she will begin to associate her bed with nursing instead of just mine. So what do you think will be easier, nursing her in my bed and then moving her or moving the whole bed time routine to her room and work on lessening the nursing in there?

I read TNCSS cover to cover three times! Unfortunately, I can't say we have had much "success". The "gentle removal" process didn't work, even after forty nights. It was taking between 10-15 attempts to unlatch him after each wake up and I was so tired I hallucinated we had a cat! I am still nursing DS to sleep at naps, at bedtime, and 4 times at night. HOWEVER, some things in the book have definitely helped. DS now sleeps part of the night in his room. We do his entire bedtime routine, except bath, in his room. I use a fan for white noise. In addition to nursing, I play music, rub his back, and shush and whisper. He has a very early bedtime...speaking of which...time for bath!

Good luck! I don't think all babies are as stubborn as mine.
Charliesmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2007, 05:25 PM   #7
CarrieAnn0413
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charliesmom View Post
I read TNCSS cover to cover three times! Unfortunately, I can't say we have had much "success". The "gentle removal" process didn't work, even after forty nights. It was taking between 10-15 attempts to unlatch him after each wake up and I was so tired I hallucinated we had a cat!

Good luck! I don't think all babies are as stubborn as mine.

This is exactly what I am worried about with this method...well, minus the cat part, lol. DD is stubborn like her daddy. But I think it would be the easiest on both of us...if it works. I have my fingers crossed. Thanks for sharing your experience with me.
Old 10-25-2007, 05:44 PM   #8
ChemistryGirl
Registered Users

My Mood:

I don't know how old your dd is, but I have had no success getting my high needs little one out of our bed. He is 2. He has had digestive / reflux issues since birth and was not a happy teether. He went through several 'can't stop nursing' stages similar to what you describe. Nothing in the NCSS worked for us and sleep routines early on were a joke.

At 18 months, he finally night weaned after many sleepless nights wailing in daddy's arms and has started sleeping through the night most nights. We now have a bedtime routine, but it is rarely perfectly executed and very free-form. Lately it has been dinner, park, bath, a baby einstein video and snack, books with daddy, nurse in the bed with mom, get up and rock to sleep in the la-z-boy with dad. He alternates sleeping on dad's bed and with me. We have two beds in the room, because the keys to successful happy co and/or near-sleeping is plenty of bed space to choose from and a spare room for mom and dad to sneak off to when they feel frisky.

Sooo, if your efforts fail there is hope. We conceived #2 in the spare room!

Last edited by ChemistryGirl; 10-25-2007 at 05:45 PM.
ChemistryGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2007, 06:36 PM   #9
CarrieAnn0413
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChemistryGirl View Post
I don't know how old your dd is, but I have had no success getting my high needs little one out of our bed. He is 2. He has had digestive / reflux issues since birth and was not a happy teether. He went through several 'can't stop nursing' stages similar to what you describe. Nothing in the NCSS worked for us and sleep routines early on were a joke.

At 18 months, he finally night weaned after many sleepless nights wailing in daddy's arms and has started sleeping through the night most nights. We now have a bedtime routine, but it is rarely perfectly executed and very free-form. Lately it has been dinner, park, bath, a baby einstein video and snack, books with daddy, nurse in the bed with mom, get up and rock to sleep in the la-z-boy with dad. He alternates sleeping on dad's bed and with me. We have two beds in the room, because the keys to successful happy co and/or near-sleeping is plenty of bed space to choose from and a spare room for mom and dad to sneak off to when they feel frisky.

Sooo, if your efforts fail there is hope. We conceived #2 in the spare room!

My dd is 21 months old and I too consider her somewhat of a high needs baby compared to my friends children. She is pretty stubborn/set in her ways/and picky about how things are done. So I am open to what ever may come out of this. I plan to give it a try and see how it goes. I would be open to letting her crawl into bed with us if she was night weaned. But I dont know how well that would work. I dont know how I could night wean such a determined little girl while still letting her sleep in bed with me. If someone has suggestions for that send them my way as well. If she has a really hard time sleeping in her own bed and I thought I could night wean while co-sleeping I would give it a try and conceive #2 somewhere else in the house.

Thank you to everyone who has replied. I appreciate your advice and experiences.
Old 10-27-2007, 12:27 PM   #10
ChemistryGirl
Registered Users

My Mood:

I found Dr. Sear's advice to be the most helpful. And for those times when he was crying in daddy's arms it was nice to know that "crying in the arms of a loved one is not the same as CIO". Best, best wishes!

http://www.askdrsears.com/html/7/t070800.asp
ChemistryGirl is offline   Reply With Quote