Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-26-2007, 12:23 AM   #1
kaylabelle05
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Question Varicella Vaccine- Chicken Pox

Background:
My son got the Chicken Pox vaccine without my consent. I SPECIFICALLY said I didn't want it and he got it anyways. Not too pleased with that.

When he was 3, he contracted Meningitis. While in the hospital, my son had an outbreak of Herpes Zoster (Shingles) on his left hand. It was very mild, but confusing since he never had chicken pox. I honestly think it is due to the vaccine. How else would a child get Shingles in a sterile enviroment?

Come to today. DS comes to me with bumps on his left finger. I first think it is a blood blister since it looks a bit like one. Stupid me pops one of the blisters with Quinn screaming bloody murder. I think he is over-reacting. Then as I get a MUCH closer look at it, something pops in my head. It looks EXACTLY like the stuff that happened on his hand 5 years ago. DH thinks it is Shingles, I think it is Shingles. Sissy (a doc) thinks it could be so she told me to get a doc appt ASAP. He has one at 2:20 tomorrow.

The thing that got me was why did this just pop up now? It is not like he has been immuno-comprimised like he was with the Meningitis. Then it occurs to me he got the Booster shot for the Chicken Pox 2 months ago. DING DING DING!!!! Guess the vaccine makers get to know this info. How do I tell them?

*UPDATED*
His Ped said he does have Shingles again. She is worried because it might mean he is immuno-suppressed. I FULLY believe he might be in some way because he gets sick more than he did as a young child. DS had 4 ear infections, flu, stomach, flu, excema, and a yeast infection. Then he got Meningitis at 3 1/2 and his immune system was shot to hell. (Must say that he should have died, was BF for over 2 years and that is what probably saved his life). He gets Strep a lot, stomach flus all the time, colds, Shingles, cold sores. And he just doesn't act as well as he did before.

There is a HUGE backstory about DS and the Meningitis but I won't get into it. But he was misdiagnosed and went almost 4 days without treatment. He is now deaf and has right Frontal Lobe damage. And the fact he is living today is why I will never wean a child of mine before 2 years of age.

Advertisement

Last edited by kaylabelle05; 10-26-2007 at 08:58 PM. Reason: Updated
kaylabelle05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2007, 12:44 AM   #2
heidisue
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Varicella Vaccine- Chicken Pox

Why did you get the booster if you didn't want the first one?

Have your doc file a report
heidisue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2007, 12:50 AM   #3
kaylabelle05
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

The schools said he HAD to have to get in. Because he already had the first one, they figure you are going to get the booster.
kaylabelle05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2007, 04:52 AM   #4
Mindi
Its a Mindi thing... you wouldn't understand
sitesupporter
seller

My Mood:

I was told once you get the shingles you can get them back at any time with no warning or reason. I had them when I was preggo with ds2 and they are no fun at all
Old 10-26-2007, 02:21 PM   #5
ceilismom
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaylabelle05 View Post
The schools said he HAD to have to get in. Because he already had the first one, they figure you are going to get the booster.
But if he had already had a diagnosed case of shingles in the hospital (which is far from a sterile environment, BTW) then that should have been proof enough of immunity for the school without getting the booster (which obviously did him no good anyhow). And yes, shingles can recur.
Old 10-26-2007, 02:26 PM   #6
JustAugust
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Yep, it would be because of the vaccine. I know of another little boy who got Shingles, never CP because he had th vaccine. His sister who was not vaccinted against CP yet got CP when he had his Shingles.

I would not allow him to get any other boosters for CP. Having Shingles proves, technically, he is immune.
Old 10-26-2007, 02:36 PM   #7
bfoster2000
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

DEFINITELY make sure your doc reports this to the VAERS database. If they won't, I believe there is a way you can do it yourself but I might be wrong on that one. If I were you, I would also be contacting a lawyer. Not sure if you can do anything about them giving the vax without your consent at this point but it's worth looking into. A lawyer should work on contingency (I think that's what it's called...you don't pay them anything up front but they get a cut if you win anything from the doctor's office). The last time I took James for a well-baby visit, the nurse tried to trick me into signing the consent to give ALL of his vaxes (he was 9 months at the time and had not had any) that day. I was telling her NO we are not doing any shots today and she actually said "That's fine, but you need to sign this anyway." I asked her if that was a consent or a waiver and she said "Just sign it...even if you don't want the shots, you need to sign it." I "politely" told her no thank you, I wouldn't be signing it and a few minutes later another nurse came in and tried to give him a shot anyway!!! When the ped came in I was livid and she also jumped all over both nurses and told me not to worry, that wouldn't be happening again. It's crazy...but there's definitely got to be some legal recourse if they give the shot without your consent. And ditto what the others said...get your doctor to write something saying he doesn't need any more boosters because he's got proof of immunity. Good luck!
Barbara - Unexpectedly back after a long hiatus...anxiously awaiting #6!
bfoster2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2007, 02:42 PM   #8
Sweet_Fantasy_Fox
No Longer Here

My Mood:

Sweet_Fantasy_Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2007, 02:53 PM   #9
newmom91403
Registered Users

My Mood:

Well I guess now I know whether the vaccine precludes the kids from getting the shingles. I had asked my ped and then a nurse at the heath center and neither knew the answer. I am so sorry your lo has to deal with them.
Old 10-26-2007, 03:14 PM   #10
OrangeBananas
Registered Users
Formerly: Savannah+6
seller
seller

Poor kiddo

OrangeBananas is offline   Reply With Quote