Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-26-2007, 12:37 PM   #1
jessie_m_d
Registered Users
seller

Low weight baby, dr wants me to supplement *update post 61*

I ahve a 4 month old who keeps dropping in his weight curve. His head and height have maintined a pretty consistant growth curve though.

He's now 10 lbs even, and in the third percentile for weight. The Dr wants me to give formula, but he won't take formula at all, and reluctantly takes BM in a bottle. We tried cereal, but he spits it back at us. I have been playing phone tag with a LLL leader, but was wondering if anyone can help.

I can't afford an elec pump, I only have single manual medela pump.

I'm a stay at home mom, I nurse on demand, he sleeps in our room so I wake to feed him whenever he stirs, but he does sleep for a good 6 hr stretch every night.

We rarely use a pacifier.

He does seem hungry after nursing sometimes. After I hear active swallowing for about 10 minutes on a side, he starts pulling off, re-latching, pulling off, re-latching, over and over.

I've tried nursing from both sides twice during a feeding, but once the milk is gone, he won't stay latched, he just keeps pulling off and fussing.

He does have plenty of wet diapers every day, stools every other, or every third day.....

What am I missing? what am I doing wrong? I really want to avoid formula.

HELP!

Advertisement

Last edited by jessie_m_d; 11-06-2007 at 11:03 PM.
jessie_m_d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2007, 12:47 PM   #2
sourpatch_babe
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Low weight baby, dr wants me to supplement

What are you eating? Are you still taking your prenatals? Can you increase your food amount/variety to include more vitaminie-filled foods? Other than that, I'd suggest going to kellymom.com and checking that site out, it's chockfull of good information.
Dear Baby in my Belly, Please come out. Seriously. It's like a 100 degrees here, IN CANADA. Your dad has taken to calling me puffy. I get that you're a dude and the last thing you want to do is leave a place you're going to spend the rest of your life trying to get back into, but enough. Your room is really cool, come out and see it. Sincerely, Love Mummy
sourpatch_babe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2007, 12:52 PM   #3
SMKelley
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Nurse, nurse, nurse!! Try to get that supply up.

You can do a variety of things to help increase your milk supply. The most important thing to do is make sure you are drinking plenty of water. You need fluids to produce fluids.

It generally isn't a great idea for Baby to use pacifiers or bottles but it may be a good idea just so you can keep track of how much he is getting. If nothing else, try pumping in between feedings just so that you can keep your production up. (FYI, try contacting your WIC office about getting an electric pump.) If baby really doesn't care for a bottle nipple, you can try using a dropper, syringe or a spoon to feed him expressed milk.

Another idea is to "sling feed". Keep your baby in a sling throughout the day close to your breasts so when he is hungry, he will have it readily available, helping you to produce more due to frequent feedings.

Certain food supplements can also increase your milk supply.

You can try...
Fenugreek (most effective), Blessed Thistle, Red Raspberry Tea and Brewers Yeast (containing B vitamins) should all work.

Good Luck.
SMKelley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2007, 12:55 PM   #4
mclaybrook
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My pediatrician wanted me to supplement with formula because my DS's iron was low.. it's frustrating, I know. Just wanted to give you a
Old 10-26-2007, 12:58 PM   #5
jessie_m_d
Registered Users
seller

We do nurse every 1 1/2 - 2 hrs during the day, and I take my prenatals most days, probably 5 days a week I'll remember. We eat a pretty varied diet around here, lots of whole grains and veggies, tuna or poultry is most of our meat, but lots of beans and rice. Eggs a couple of times a week.

Maybe I need to drink more I have always drinken a lot, but didn't increase my fluids after the baby, I figured I was already drinking quite a bit more than the average person.
Old 10-26-2007, 01:04 PM   #6
doberbrat
Registered Users
seller

drink more water, get more sleep ( ) eat oatmeal. lots of oatmeal. the various mothers milk teas do help as well. if you could rent a pump for a few weeks and pump after every feeding, taht would also help.
Mamma to the best dd 10/05 and Expecting #2 edd 11/29/09 and 2 furkids!
doberbrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2007, 01:11 PM   #7
ForCryingOutLoud
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Drink lots of water, add more calories to your diet, try pumping after your LO eats to help with supply.

Is your LO losing weight? If not maybe he is just a small baby. Not all babies are made equally.

Don't give up!
Old 10-26-2007, 01:17 PM   #8
mamabear
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I have a little guy, too. Seamus was 8.6 at birth, and when I took him for his 9mo check, he was only in the 25th percentile. Some babes are peanuts for awhile, then go through a growth spurt. It's too early for your Dr. to panic...

Don't let anyone scare you into doing something you're not crazy about doing!

I agree with every other mama here. Do what you can to boost your supply, and don't sweat it if the babe is little. Count your diapers and relax.
mamabear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2007, 01:25 PM   #9
jessie_m_d
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamabear View Post
Don't let anyone scare you into doing something you're not crazy about doing!
:
OMG, the ped office just called to check on us, like 2 minutes ago. When the nurse found out he won't take the cereal or formula, she told me I *HAD* to get him to take a bottle, he can't have me forever! She told me to start pumping and give him the milk in a bottle mixed with formula, instead of letting him nurse!!!!! I told her I only have a manual pump, I can't get that much when I pump. So I'm supposed to let myself dry up because I'm not emptying my breasts and teach him to drink formula from a bottle instead!?!?!?!?! I wanted to cry! I searched high and low for a pro breastfeeding pediatric office!!!! the first sign of 'trouble' and it's all thrown in the trash??????
Old 10-26-2007, 03:01 PM   #10
sarikasmama
Registered Users
seller

Hi,

NO NO NO!

Dont' give up mama!

Find another pedi and FAST! Check with a birthing center in your area where midwives deliver babies and they'll help you too!

I went through three before I found one that was pro bf and delayed vaccines.

Do it. don't think you owe that doc anything mama!

And don't go by the charts! The charts are from the 1950's done on boys who were formula fed.

Go with your gut, find other moms in your area who breastfeed, put a craigslist ad in if you have to. Keep on your LLL, or call another one! They will help you for sure.

sarikasmama is offline   Reply With Quote