Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-26-2007, 03:11 PM   #11
Jonesy
SHWING!
seller

My Mood:
Re: Low weight baby, dr wants me to supplement

Don't do it!!! Don't give up mama!!!
I had the same thing happen. Took my DS to 6 mo. check up and he fell OFF the weight chart (13pds). I am not suprised because my fist DS did the same. (I just can't seem to get a rolly-poly baby ) But head and height have been keeping a health curve like yours (although still near the bottom of the scale). But he's a happy and healthy baby! (and my kid eats like it's goin out of style...mama's milk and babyfood!!!)

Take the advice of the other mama's here. NURSE NURSE NURSE!!! And also make sure you are eating enough...and of the proper foods! You gotta take care of you too!

My regular dr. was not worried. He supports BFing like no other I've ever seen. DS is on track with all his development. And obviously a healthy baby. So...I quit worrying about it. I know I'm giving my child the best and you are too!

Advertisement

Old 10-26-2007, 03:14 PM   #12
jjaelovesenglish
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Drink lots of water and eat oatmeal cookies.
The six hours a night is not a big deal. My 2 1/2 month old sleeps 6-10 hours a night and is EBF. The doctor is not worried at all because she is growing well and nursing on demand. She just likes her sleep (she sleeps next to me in the co-sleeper and I don't think I nurse her in the night but some nights I could and probably not know it).
Old 10-26-2007, 03:19 PM   #13
jjaelovesenglish
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessie_m_d View Post
OMG, the ped office just called to check on us, like 2 minutes ago. When the nurse found out he won't take the cereal or formula, she told me I *HAD* to get him to take a bottle, he can't have me forever! She told me to start pumping and give him the milk in a bottle mixed with formula, instead of letting him nurse!!!!! I told her I only have a manual pump, I can't get that much when I pump. So I'm supposed to let myself dry up because I'm not emptying my breasts and teach him to drink formula from a bottle instead!?!?!?!?! I wanted to cry! I searched high and low for a pro breastfeeding pediatric office!!!! the first sign of 'trouble' and it's all thrown in the trash??????
complain to the doctor, nurses or nursing assistants are the worst at giving bad advice in my office and I complain. The more I complain, the better it is for other patients because there will be people who will listen to the morons, just hang in there, you don't have to give baby formula necessarily. There are pump loan programs as well.
Old 10-26-2007, 03:19 PM   #14
Gigi079
Banned
seller

My Mood:

Water vitamins rest (no dieting) oh and have you tried fenugreek ..I remember this was used by a few mama's i knew that had supply issues (i never had any problems myself)
Gigi079 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2007, 03:22 PM   #15
Leininger27
Banned

My Mood:

Don;t do it mama. You are doing fine. My ds is not even on the charts and he was born 8.4lbs. At 17M he weighs 17lbs. He does is table food now has been for awhile, but he still can not gain weight for the life of him. I BF and thankfully don't have a pushy ped. Not all kids are going to be chunky babies. Kids come in various sizes and your ped needs to realize that he is following his "own" growth chart.

BTW: You could drink some more water, eat oatmeal, take Fenugreek, mother's milk tea. If you need any Fenugreek or Mother Milk tea let me know. I have some that I no longer need.

Last edited by Leininger27; 10-26-2007 at 03:24 PM.
Leininger27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2007, 03:23 PM   #16
jaceraden
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Mama and pleeeease stick with it. Go with your gut - you're doing great!

Not every baby is meant to be on the top of the growth chart. Just try the suggestions for increasing your supply and don't offer your LO anything if he doesn't want it! Breast is best! lol

Some pedi offices aren't educated in breast feeding and will tell you to supplement or quit because they are ILL INFORMED. It's kind of terrible actually since we all want to do what's right for our babies and assume that they know what's best.

Keep at it Mama. It will get better.
jaceraden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2007, 03:38 PM   #17
togg_mama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Okay, I dealt with a child who had serious weight issues. Granted there were other medical considerations, as well, but from experience, I can see why they are freaking...

Quote:
I ahve a 4 month old who keeps dropping in his weight curve. His head and height have maintined a pretty consistant growth curve though.

He's now 10 lbs even, and in the third percentile for weight. The Dr wants me to give formula, but he won't take formula at all, and reluctantly takes BM in a bottle. We tried cereal, but he spits it back at us. I have been playing phone tag with a LLL leader, but was wondering if anyone can help.
Now this is not your fault! You're doing a lot of good things!

Quote:
I'm a stay at home mom, I nurse on demand, he sleeps in our room so I wake to feed him whenever he stirs, but he does sleep for a good 6 hr stretch every night.

We rarely use a pacifier.

He does seem hungry after nursing sometimes. After I hear active swallowing for about 10 minutes on a side, he starts pulling off, re-latching, pulling off, re-latching, over and over.

I've tried nursing from both sides twice during a feeding, but once the milk is gone, he won't stay latched, he just keeps pulling off and fussing.

He does have plenty of wet diapers every day, stools every other, or every third day.....

What am I missing? what am I doing wrong? I really want to avoid formula.

HELP!
Okay... now...

Are you drinking lots of water? I don't know your weight, but for me at 150lbs, I need to drink about 100oz of water a day while nursing. It's a LOT.

Are you eating properly? It's so easy when you're stressed about a low-weight infant to neglect yourself. YOU are your baby's food. Eat hearty. Make sure you are eating balanced.

Are you taking your prenatals? Are you taking fenugreek? (My LC told me 3 tabs 3 x's a day. Yes, you will smell like maple syrup.)

Sounds like you're sleeping well...

Get in contact with that LLL leader. Now. Keep calling her. Ask her if there is someone else she can recommend you talk to if she's not available. My biggest curiosity is if your LO is latching properly.

Finally, there is no shame in formula. I had to give it to my first for weight issues. It's only for a time. Your LO's health is most important and there ARE times when formula is necessary. (Spare me the flames. )

Ask your doctor if he can write a prescription for a medical grade breast pump. Perhaps it will force your insurance company to pay for it.

You're doing good!
togg_mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2007, 03:58 PM   #18
Toby_99833
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I did not read the other posts, so sorry if I am repeating. I was in a similar situation, but dds became life or death. She was preemie and lost over 15% body weight in first week. I BF on demand and she would sleep for long stretches.

One thing I wish someone would have told me was WAKE HER UP. Your baby needs to eat every 2 hours (less as they got older, but he needs to gain weight so you can assume the same for him). If he is getting smaller he is getting weaker and might not cry if he is hungry and might sleep for a long period of time because he is concentrating on growing. KEEP HIM WARM. He needs all of his energy to grow not to stay warm (pants, long sleeves, hat and blanket).

Good luck this is totally stressful and I know what you are going through. I did have to switch to formula to save her life, but it seems that you can still "save" your situation w/o formula.

LLL was ZERO help for me. One of my midwives was even a LLL leader!
Old 10-26-2007, 04:08 PM   #19
donnamarie
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

[QUOTE=togg_mama;2027593]Finally, there is no shame in formula. I had to give it to my first for weight issues. It's only for a time. Your LO's health is most important and there ARE times when formula is necessary. (Spare me the flames. )
QUOTE]

I only have a few comments b/c everyone seems to be giving you great advice.
1. Call Wic and get the super-duper double pump!! I used it and it helped a bunch!
2. There is nothing wrong with using formula - I know I feel pretty alone in my opinion here - but I BFed and gave 1 bottle a day because her blood sugars were crazy. For me it was a blessing, I pumped at the time that my dd had her bottle (actually we started by using a finger feeder). What was nice is that I could give her formula when I wanted and she BF'ed like a champ! ( also I mixed 1/2 Breast milk with 1/2 formula for a while)
3. I completly agree about drinking more water, that was the cause of my low milk.

Try not to get discouraged, there is so much pressure that we put on ourselves about BFing - It is not the end of the world if you have to use formula! Spare me the flames too
I BLOG... Another New Season
donnamarie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2007, 04:26 PM   #20
Toby_99833
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by donnamarie View Post

Try not to get discouraged, there is so much pressure that we put on ourselves about BFing - It is not the end of the world if you have to use formula! Spare me the flames too

No flames here!