Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-27-2006, 11:19 AM   #21
rowynne
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: is DS not so AP friendly?

Well, I consider myself AP, but I cant breastfeed, none of my kids liked co-sleeping, we vax on schedule, BUT I attend to my childrens needs as soon as they need me, I dont use CIO. I dont feel I have to breastfeed or sleep with my kids for them to be attached to me. Its about being a good parent, and being a good parent is what works best for your child.

Advertisement

Last edited by rowynne; 07-27-2006 at 11:22 AM.
rowynne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2006, 11:19 AM   #22
OneFabMama
Cause Thats How I Roll
seller

My Mood:

I think Brenda hit the nail on the head with her answer. At first, I was kinda taken back by the original post and had to re read a couple of time because I can see how it can be offensive.

I dont consider myself AP. Because like the other mama said - I dont like to put labels on my parenting. I think Im attached to my child in every way. Meaning, Im in tune with her and I know what her needs are and I meet them to the fullest extent of my capabilty. I wouldnt consider myself NOT attached because I do fully vax on schedule. I feel that is the best for us. So, to me that would be attached.

But DS isnt an AP board its a cloth diaper board
Old 07-27-2006, 11:21 AM   #23
OneFabMama
Cause Thats How I Roll
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennyofthemoon
I think that some sort of co-sleeping arrangement is too. After all, how attached to your new baby are you if they are sleeping down the hall in a baby cage? Just my
I dont think that is a fair statement. We did co sleep for a while and it just wasnt working out. My daughter wasnt sleeping well and woke several times a night when she was in bed with us. It wasnt until I put her in a "baby cage" that she slept through the night. She is a squirmy sleeper and needs her own space. THAT to me is being in tune with my child and meeting her needs.

Last edited by OneFabMama; 07-27-2006 at 11:22 AM.
OneFabMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2006, 11:24 AM   #24
BeUTfulMama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by EasterBun
Umm, no AP is a set of GUIDELINES. You need not meet EVERY one of them to practice AP.
I agree. AP is just a more recent term anyway for a style of parenting that's existed for thousands of years. And I use the word 'style' lightly. It's just what comes naturally...or should. It's meeting your child's needs the best you can and loving them the best you can. That's what they really need anyway. Love, support and care that's tailored specifically to them.
BeUTfulMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2006, 11:27 AM   #25
Melissa
Banned
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowynne
Well, I consider myself AP, but I cant breastfeed, none of my kids liked co-sleeping, we vax on schedule, BUT I attend to my childrens needs as soon as they need me, I dont use CIO. I dont feel I have to breastfeed or sleep with my kids for them to be attached to me. Its about being a good parent, and being a good parent is what works best for your child.

Me too! I have inverted nipples (sorry for the tmi) and I seriously could not get my kids to latch on. Not for lack of trying. I pumped as long as I could but honestly pumping and not having that bf bond was a little hard, so we ff.

I also have co-slept with 2 of my 3 kiddos. The baby slept with us for about 6 weeks but she always slept better on her own so that is what we do. My almost 4 year old is in bed with me everynight though lol

If we ever have another child it will be adopted and I am not going to be able to bf that child does that mean I wont be ap? I agree with the poster hat said it is guidelines. And tory you know I love ya just wanted to say that soem things dont always work the way we want them to.
Melissa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2006, 11:33 AM   #26
rowynne
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I had breast reduction in 1997 so I dont even produce milk. SOMEtimes you can still BF but I had so much removed, nipples removed & reattached....i dot get engorged or anything. I would have liked to have tried but at the time, I had such serious medical issues because of my breast size, it was the best thing to do & my kids havent had any issues from NOT being bf'd
Old 07-27-2006, 11:35 AM   #27
toryandrew
Registered Users
seller

When I say formula feeding I mean people who can breastfeed but choose not to because it's too much work, it hurt etc etc. It's all kinda silly because it's just a label, it just bugs me when people claim a label but don't really do it KWIM? I could care less if anyone is AP, heck I've never met anyone IRL who cloth diapers, so obviously my friends don't have the same parenting philosophy as me.

It just bothers me when people get righteous about the label but don't meet up to the standards.

I vax and circumicise so I'm an outcast anyways
toryandrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2006, 11:41 AM   #28
stephdpn
Registered Users
seller

aack, Tory, me too! I do vax and circ and my kids sleep in various places throughout the night, lol...DS is definitely not an AP board, but there are AP mamas here. I don't consider myself AP, but somewhat "crunchy." However like you, Tory, I always thought crunchy meant liberal, but I soon discovered here that it doesn't! Lots of right wingers, probably more than us liberals, lol! That is what I like about DS - the diversity!! My group of friends IRL is very homogenous (and totally un-crunchy), so I like coming here and chatting with lots of different folks!
Old 07-27-2006, 11:42 AM   #29
rowynne
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I always though of AP as a pick and choose whats best for you & baby sort of thing.
Old 07-27-2006, 11:48 AM   #30
lilmama2dsndd
Boobies Broke? Gorilla Glue Em!!!
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by keegans_mommy
What I like about DS is that it's not extreme one way or the other. We are a wonderful diverse group of woman who all care about our kids in ways we all believe to be the best.

Plus, what could be better than a group of cding woman
This is a great board for all types of parenting styles, with a great group of mamas and even though we may not always agree on things this place really is not like any other board in the fact that snubbing and cattyness generally is kep to a minimum. :

That being said, I always thought AP was a general style of parenting. I didn't even know about the term until I was snubbed on another board for being a single working mother and therefore not AP, even though I BF, Co-sleep, no CIO, babywear, make my own baby food and now CD . I agree with PP that AP is tending to your child's needs the best way that fits your child, even if you don't follow everything exactly.