Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-27-2006, 10:07 PM   #51
SheilaJoy
I grow people
seller

Re: is DS not so AP friendly?

Quote:
Originally Posted by toryandrew
By definition, AP is breastfeeding, babywearing, co-sleeping and gentle disipline. So yes, if you don't breastfeed you are not in fact AP. And yes, if you circumcise or vaccinate you are still AP. Not circumcising, not vaccinating and using cloth diapers are things that *some* AP parents do but they are not part of the actual definition of AP. Just like eating organic isn't etc. etc.

The answer to the original question is yes, DS is friendly to AP parents, but no it is not an AP site.
Man, you always seem to be so angry.
This attitude right here is why I am so thankful this is not an "AP" board. Such exclusivity. Cloth diapering does not = liberalism either. Don't know where that would have come from.

Advertisement

SheilaJoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2006, 10:18 PM   #52
Bare Bottom Gear
Cruelty is a tyrant that's always attended with fear
Formerly: SAHMTo2
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
toryandrew: By definition, AP is breastfeeding, babywearing, co-sleeping and gentle disipline. So yes, if you don't breastfeed you are not in fact AP.

I don't Normally chime in on "hot" topics but just have to say that I had no idea you had to breastfeed to be AP.

Check out my other FSOT items, I've got diapers, yarn and fiber for sale!!
Bare Bottom Gear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2006, 10:41 PM   #53
Hayley
Registered Users
seller

Ok here is the thing, Do we really need to be debating about what defines a AP parent? I personally do fall under the label but I consider my self to be very much a Loving, instictive, caring, nurturing, and earth friendly mommie. I just want what is best for my son just as all the other moms on DS do. I mean seriously if we did not why would we be here? I just hope that we can step back from our personal beliefs and respect each others choices as far as bf, cd, vaxing, circ., and bwing goes.

I was lucky and am able to do all of the supposed APing things however, for reasons involving faith we circ. and we have to vax in order for my son to be seen at the military dr's otherwise if it was up to me I would not.

Old 07-27-2006, 11:00 PM   #54
sesa70
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I think what we need to do is find a definition of AP here so that we are not just throwing our opinions around. I *personally* do NOT believe that one has to bf to be ap. It is one of the 8 principals or 'ideals' for ap.There is no such thing as a requirment to bf cosleep etc!

here is a definition from wikkepedia:

Attachment parenting, a phrase coined by pediatrician William Sears, is a parenting philosophy based on the principles of the attachment theory in developmental psychology. According to attachment theory, a strong emotional bond with parents during childhood, also known as a secure attachment, is a precursor of secure, empathic relationships in adulthood.

Here is the link in case anyone is interested:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Attachment_parenting

btw i vax, do not cosleep, do not bf but would still concider myself AP
Old 07-27-2006, 11:38 PM   #55
Lucky Child
AKA The Evil Twin
Formerly: rrandle
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by noahs_mommie
Ok here is the thing, Do we really need to be debating about what defines a AP parent? I personally do fall under the label but I consider my self to be very much a Loving, instictive, caring, nurturing, and earth friendly mommie. I just want what is best for my son just as all the other moms on DS do. I mean seriously if we did not why would we be here? I just hope that we can step back from our personal beliefs and respect each others choices as far as bf, cd, vaxing, circ., and bwing goes.

ITA. I guess what I don't understand is why people debate so hard core about what is and isn't ap... does everyone NEED to be AP. I personally would never want to label my parenting by what some Dr (although I may respect him) says I need to do to raise my kids properly. It's really silly. AP is exactly what Scatterbrainedmom (Stacy) stated, that is the definition of AP parenting with all those ideals and such. There's really no debating that, that's what Dr. Sears has come up with.
Never in my life would I personally be "proud" to attach my instinctual parenting to some textbook form of parenting. The point here isn't to debate what it is, there's a clear cut definition available to us.
I think people are debating because they want (or don't want) to fall under the AP umbrella. Why? You do what you think is right for your family and who cares if you fall under some form of parenting some man made up.
KWIM?