Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-27-2006, 09:10 AM   #1
EmnJJsMom
Registered Users
seller

Safe Birth Control for Breastfeeding

I am going to discuss birth control with my dr today. I am worried, in my experiance dr's aren't too intelligant when it comes to birth control and medications for nursing mamas. I thought about doing the mini pill, but my problem is ovarian cysts, and the mini pill has done nothing for me to prevent them in the past. Is it okay to start a low dose birth control now? Will it hurt my milk supply? Will it pass unwanted hormones to dd? I could use ANY advice, I'm not in the position to get pregnant again and I want to control my cysts before they get bad again. The other thing is that I haven't ovulated yet this month when I should have already, so I don't know if I can even start a regular birth control because dont you have to wait until the end of your cycle? IDK, this is why I need help haha.

Advertisement

EmnJJsMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2006, 09:24 AM   #2
hauser
Registered Users
seller

Re: Safe Birth Control for Breastfeeding

So far as I know the mini pill is safe. It should not hurt your milk supply and you can start it anytime, you don't have to wait to ovulate etc. That is what I use and we get pregnant REALLY easy!! Ohh and ds is ebf
Old 07-27-2006, 09:30 AM   #3
EmnJJsMom
Registered Users
seller

You get pregnant really easy off of the mini pill? I mean, we're using condoms now because it's a fairly new relationship but I don't trust condoms alone.
Old 07-27-2006, 09:35 AM   #4
akrab
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

my Dr just prescribed me a regular pill.... but my DS is 21 months old....he is still BF'ing but not exclusively. I havent started them yet though as I have to wait for AF to show up so I dont know if it is going to affect my supply or not...
Old 07-27-2006, 09:43 AM   #5
EmnJJsMom
Registered Users
seller

Ugh, I'm so nervous about this, I do not wanting it affecting my milk supply, that would be horrible! DD is still mostly ebf, she has cereal and a veggie once in the evening, thats it.
Old 07-27-2006, 09:48 AM   #6
rpg_mommy
Registered Users

If you are going the pill route, you want to take something that is progesterone only so that it doesn't affect your milk supply. Progesterone only pills are usually the ones called "mini pills" and it is SUPER important that you take them at exactly the same time every single day. With regular pills, you could be a few hours late, but with a mini pill, if you are 3 hours late it's as though you are not on the pill. (That is the drawback that made me stop taking them...I'm TERRIBLE about taking pills!)

Estrogen is more likely to cross over in to breastmilk AND much more likely to dry your milk up, so definately go with progesterone only pills if you choose pills over condom/diaphragm/etc. And keep in mind that nuvaring and many IUD's and such also have estrogen, so steer clear of them as well.

HTH!
rpg_mommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2006, 09:51 AM   #7
EmnJJsMom
Registered Users
seller

My uncle is a fam pract dr and he told me even progesterone could dry up my supply (which is why I'm worried about that) and the progesterone didn't control my cysts. Maybe I'll give it a shot and see. I am pretty good about taking pills at the right time so that isnt a worry, and I'd double up w/a condom.
Old 07-27-2006, 10:10 AM   #8
hauser
Registered Users
seller

My doc knows that we get pregnant really easy, but he said that as long as I am ebf the mini is okay, he said once he is not ebf even just one bottle i need ot switch!!
Old 07-27-2006, 10:20 AM   #9
yellowcampcat
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I started the mini pill (micronor) when my dd was 2 months old and took it until she was eating solids regularly. After that we used natural family planning for 3 mos. until af came back and we got pg again.
yellowcampcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2006, 11:07 AM   #10
EmnJJsMom
Registered Users
seller

Thanx so much ladies, all the advice helps.