Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-27-2006, 09:15 AM   #1
hollyhobby30
Registered Users
seller

Homeschoolers~need advice on taking the leap!

I've been researching HS for a couple years now. I've researched the different types of schooling styles and curriculum out there.

My 10 yo dd is still in PS as of this last year.

I also have a 5 yo that's supposed to start K this Fall. I've HS her for Pre-K and was pretty loose about it. I've also bought my 10 yo ACE, LFBC and CLE stuff to do over this Summer and last Summer. So far it seems to work great for us. She loves the workbook style and we both need that structure.

My question is how do you make that HUGE leap off the cliff and take them out of PS? I'm right on the edge. I know I could do it but.....

My 10 yo is on board with it but I'm scared TO DEATH I'm going to make a mistake and ruin her education. I'm not the best in math and science but have people that could help out. If I take her out now she wouldn't need to be tested until the end of her 8th grade year. I live in Oregon and the HSing laws are pretty good.

So do most feel this way at first?

Will it go away?

I don't want to take her out and then have her behind the PS kids. I've been sick to my stomach going over this again and again. I've asked God for guidance and pray about daily. I wish we lived back in the Little House on the Prairie days. Life was so much easier!

Help me ladies

Advertisement

hollyhobby30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2006, 09:18 AM   #2
KnottyLDSMama
Peachy with a side of keen, that would be me
Formerly: Moonprysm
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Homeschoolers~need advice on taking the leap!

I think it's probably harder to transition from PS than if you start HSing from the beginning. We plan to homeschool right off, so unfortunately I don't have any advice on pulling the older child out. Just support. HSing is usually the best thing you can do for your child.
KnottyLDSMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2006, 09:20 AM   #3
KnottyLDSMama
Peachy with a side of keen, that would be me
Formerly: Moonprysm
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollyhobby30
I wish we lived back in the Little House on the Prairie days. Life was so much easier!

Help me ladies
P.S. You're not the only one! lol
KnottyLDSMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2006, 09:32 AM   #4
EasterBun
Yarn Snob
seller

My Mood:

Hey I'm struggling with this too.. I want to keep my DS home this fall, but DH is pretty much set against it. His concerns are basically the same as yours..

I on the other hand, am not as concerned about it. It's frustrating, because I can understand his concerns, but he just doesn't seem to want to trust me that keeping him at home would be the BEST thing for him.
EasterBun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2006, 09:33 AM   #5
jennyofthemoon
Registered Users
seller

Abby went to PS for Grade 1, because she *really* wanted to go to school. So I told her, at the end of K that we'd try ps for one year, adn then reevalute. She's relaly happy to be back at home now, and the other two (well, only one of school aged kiddo) haven't been to ps. This "try-it-out" approach worked well. Why not do that smae for homeschooling? Sreiously, you CANNOT screw a kid up in one year....so why not decide to homeschool for one year, and then reevaluate? That might be a more comfortable transition for you.
Old 07-27-2006, 12:03 PM   #6
cr2005
Registered Users
seller

homeschooling is something I have been thinking of too. My oldest is 4 so I still have a little while to plan. Right now my house seems so crazy especially now that Carter is mobile. My main concern with homeschooling is not getting a break from kids. I know that sounds selfish. I am also a former public school teacher in an excellent district, but I still think that homeschooling is the best option academically. I am interested on hearing input from those who homeschool too.
Old 07-28-2006, 07:40 PM   #7
annes_cottage
Accomplice to the Temptress of Fuzzi Fannies Diapers

My Mood:

Our oldest dd went to pre school and 1 semester of ps K. Oldest ds went to 2 yrs of preschool. The entire time I also worked with them at home. dd was learning much more at home and nothing at school. I too had that sick feeling and basically, you just have to pull her out and do it! It made me sick to send them in the 1st place...Columbine was my deciding factor. I love my kids too much to trust some ones elses misfit child to take their lie. I have endured plenty critism from family, but they got over it. I heard "that type of thing wont happen in our town"....I am sure every town the scoot shooting, stabbings, ect, has said the same thing. Why risk it.

Your daughter is at a critcal age and if she is on board I say GO FOR IT !!! you can email me if you want. I am here to encourage you and root you on !!

Avi pic: Leland 1 yr
annes_cottage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2006, 07:55 PM   #8
Bluemoon
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I have always homeschooled. Let me tell yah I used to think my boys were gonna be on a talk shoe titled " I can't read because my mom homeschooled me"....lol. That fear goes away with time. Also you don't have to be really book smart or even know how to put together a teaching lesson there are so many curriculums out there that do it for you. and with answer books that explain how to teach a specif topic its easy peasy
Let me know if I canbe of more help.i have HS for 6-7 years now. My boys are going into 3rd and 5th grades, and my 3 years old will be doing some ealy preschool stuff this upcoming year...only because she wants too
Barbara
Bluemoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2006, 08:17 PM   #9
hollyhobby30
Registered Users
seller

Thank ladies for all the encouraging words. I really think we can do this. Thanks for all the support!
hollyhobby30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2006, 09:26 PM   #10
SheilaJoy
I grow people
seller

You can do it, Holly!! I understand how you feel, my ds went to kindergarten and most of his first grade year. As soon as I took the course necessary to homeschool, I immediately took him out, and I've never regretted it.

Honestly, it takes sooo little time to keep your kids caught up, and even ahead of the game. Public school/private school has thirty or so kids in each class, so it's impossible to just move on once your child understands the concept. One on one tutoring is the most effective way for kids to learn, and that's exactly what homeschooling is.
SheilaJoy is offline   Reply With Quote