Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-27-2006, 09:32 AM   #1
Julesmom23girls
Banned

My Mood:
Newborns... what diaper did you use, PF or sposies?

I plan to CD my new baby when she arrives. My question is when did you start using CD. I am worried about the umbilical cord stump getting wet. So I don't know if I should use sposies until it falls off and then start using my PF's or if it will be ok to just start using the Pf's and covers. If you used PF's how do you avoid the stump getting under the diaper. I use Pf on my older DD but we started at 6 mo so this will be my first newborn in CD.

Advertisement

Julesmom23girls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2006, 10:03 AM   #2
luminajd
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Newborns... what diaper did you use, PF or sposies?

We diapered DD with premie UIPF and proraps from the day we came home from the hospital. We used (and still use) the jellyroll fold-it holds in BF poop well. We always did our best to tuck the PF under the stump to keep it from getting wet, using the snappi helped keep the diaper away from the stump. But our newborn usually peed a fairly small amount at a time and we changed her immediatly when wet (we knew she was wet because we werent using liners and she would cry to let us know) so the pee never got the chance to go up towards her stump, hope that makes sense. So even when the diaper was covering her sump, it never got wet-I always checked it when I changed her.
Jessica
luminajd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2006, 10:13 AM   #3
Timetodance
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My dd took several days to pass all the meconium (sp?) so for the next one, I am going to use sposies until that is done with then we will be all cloth.

If the cord ever does get wet just take a cotton ball soaked with rubbing alcohol and squeeze a few drops onto the stump. Our ped said is was not getting the cord wet, but making sure it does not stay wet for long periods or time.
Timetodance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2006, 10:28 AM   #4
Julesmom23girls
Banned

My Mood:

Even though DD is now only a year, I forget that newborns don't pee as much, you are right she will probably get changed before the diaper gets that wet anyway. Thanks for the tips. I have been trying to decide if I should buy a pack of sposies or not. Hadn't considered the meconium thing either that is a good point. Maybe we will get one pack of sposies just to start w/. Anyone else??
Old 07-27-2006, 10:38 AM   #5
whiterabbit
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I used sposies for the first couple of weeks mainly because ds weighed 5 1/2 pounds at birth and nothing fit well. Plus I was really overwhelmed and washing diapers was not high on my list of things to do.

I love ducks and bunnies. Especially bunnies.
whiterabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2006, 10:39 AM   #6
GrowingUpMad
If everyone was the same the world would be a VERY boring place.
seller

My Mood:

I am expecting soon and plan to use sposies just until the meconium passes. The stump usually falls off around the same time anyway so that would work out. I do have a bunch of newborn dipes, some of which have the umbilical dip so I may even use those with fleece liners.
Old 07-27-2006, 10:43 AM   #7
mamato3
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I planed to cd Hannah from the begining but i ended up w/ an emergancy c-section so we used sposies in the hospital. I used VB fitteds w/ the umbilical cord snap down w/ proraps w/ umbilical notch

mamato3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2006, 10:50 AM   #8
Manna00
Pinchin' pennies 'til they scream
sitesupporter
seller

My Mood:

My boy is 3 weeks tomorrow---so I guess we're still in this phase!

I had a c-section and we were BOMBARDED with family for basically the first 2 weeks of DS's life... so, sadly, we used sposies.. against my wishes-but heck, my family was changing him so I comprimised. Once I got enough gumption I started practicing my prefold technique on him just a few diaps a day while family was still here.

Now that the smoke has cleared with family Sam's been in prefolds and prowraps or litewraps (I actually like litewraps better... but the freakin' laundry tabs on them are AWFUL!) covers during the day with me, fitteds and the same covers in the evenings when DH comes home from work and, because I only have 4 fitteds he's still in sposies at night.

The stump was never REALLY an issue because my son has a high belly button and a low rise. It also fell off in 10 days...so we didn't stress it too much
Manna00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2006, 10:59 AM   #9
Emma
Registered Users
seller

I use(d) a mix of fitteds (kissaluvs, mutts, and swaddlebees) and pfs. The KLs and mutts have a fold down snap so the dipes don't cover the umbilical cord. I used a nb prorap w/those. For the pfs, I just folded down the front so it was below her stump. The hospital left the clamp on, so I just made sure the clamp was outside of the cover.
Emma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2006, 11:06 AM   #10
Julesmom23girls
Banned

My Mood:

I hope the cord stump falls off sooner w/ this one. MY last DD had hers for 5 weeks, and it was firmly attached right to the end when it finally just fell off (we never found it by the way, I knew it was starting to get lose and the next diaper change it was gone, who knows). I am going to have a C/s so I may just go w/ sposies for a week or 2 just so I don't have as much to wash. I don't know. Thanks everyone.