Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-05-2006, 07:56 PM   #11
mamas120
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Drinking water

The only time DD will drink water is when I'm drinking it and she wants it from my cup.

Advertisement

Old 05-06-2006, 07:44 PM   #12
Manna00
Pinchin' pennies 'til they scream
sitesupporter
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiveblessings
For some reason, my kids hate water out of glasses, but if it's in a water bottle, they'll all drink it. Maybe that would help?
I'm the same way! For some reason I've gotten into this water bottle habit... at least I refill/wash the same bottle over and over again! Being 8 months pregnant it's easier for me to keep up with a bottle than a cup--and moving around and being clumsy doesn't help anything with spills!
Manna00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2006, 12:00 AM   #13
MomsHelpingMoms
Registered Users
Formerly: teresaarrington
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manna00
I'm the same way! For some reason I've gotten into this water bottle habit... at least I refill/wash the same bottle over and over again! Being 8 months pregnant it's easier for me to keep up with a bottle than a cup--and moving around and being clumsy doesn't help anything with spills!

OMG, I used to do this all of the time until I read an article on how contaminated these bottles get with all sorts of bacteria, even when washed . The plastic is so cheap for disposal that it breaks down into the water if you are reusing it (which is why most waters have an expiration date) and especially if you are washing it in hot water. The best thing to use is a real water bottle. It is made of sturdy plastic and wont degrade over washings.

About the water thing, my dd is 3 1/2 and drinks only juice and 1% milk. Her juice cup is filled with 1/2 water, 1/2 juice. She is great and healthy. Her 100% juice is made mostly of water and contains things that are healthy. When did juice become BAD for our kids? I for one cannot stand water unless it is carbonated so I guess that is where she gets it. Maybe its because our water here in Southern California is so bad? We have a Brita Filter Pitcher, but I still think that it tastes nasty. I still don't think that 100% juice is bad for our kids. Personal opinion though.

Miley Rae was born July 29, 2008 6lb3oz 19"
MomsHelpingMoms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2006, 05:31 AM   #14
jls~Kain~Drake
Registered Users

My Mood:

My ds's can't have juice..it makes their bm's highly acidic and it burns them to the point of blisters, INSTANTLY when the bm touches their skin.

I've always loved water...even my family thought I was weird when I was younger because I drank so much water and preferred it over anything else. Now, ds1 drinks a TON of water..I'm sure he drinks more than the 64oz recommended. Sometimes even when I suggest milk or gatorade (is gatorade bad? It's juice-ish without being juice..) he declines and wants water. Although, I do try to make sure he has at least 1 glass of milk/day.
Old 05-07-2006, 05:47 AM   #15
CMamma
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiveblessings
For some reason, my kids hate water out of glasses, but if it's in a water bottle, they'll all drink it. Maybe that would help?
I just found this out about DS... cup of water no way... water bottle way cool. LOL

Also you can sort of flavor it... just put some water in a water bottle & toss in a cut of fruit, like a strawberry or orange piece. Leave it for a while & it will slightly flavor the water.
Old 05-07-2006, 02:23 PM   #16
SandyG
Moderator at heart, but no longer moderator
The best way I know of to win an argument is to start by being in the right
seller

yep david prefers water bottles too instead of cups go figure
SandyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2006, 08:25 PM   #17
CarrieMF
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
When did juice become BAD for our kids?
when it became loaded with sugar. Alot of people think all juice is equal but it isn't. Unless it says 100% juice it is purely sugar. Even the 100% juice that are not from concentrate while not "bad" is not as good as eating the actual fruit itself. It doesn't give the nutritional benefits that eating fruit has. Plus what is the point of spending the $$$ on juice when you are just going to water it down anyhow?

My oldest used to drink juice alot, my other 2 will too if I have it. Now the choice is water. They don't get another choice. My oldest will only drink water unless it is a rare occassion that I have juice. My younger 2 are restricted on milk so they usually only get water. Every 2-3 days they get 1 glass of milk otherwise it is water. The oldest won't drink milk. If I buy juice 1L goes in 1 meal, it becomes very expensive to buy. The more juice they get the more they want it because of the sugars in it.
Old 05-08-2006, 11:34 PM   #18
MomsHelpingMoms
Registered Users
Formerly: teresaarrington
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarrieMF
when it became loaded with sugar. Alot of people think all juice is equal but it isn't. Unless it says 100% juice it is purely sugar. Even the 100% juice that are not from concentrate while not "bad" is not as good as eating the actual fruit itself. It doesn't give the nutritional benefits that eating fruit has. Plus what is the point of spending the $$$ on juice when you are just going to water it down anyhow?

My oldest used to drink juice alot, my other 2 will too if I have it. Now the choice is water. They don't get another choice. My oldest will only drink water unless it is a rare occassion that I have juice. My younger 2 are restricted on milk so they usually only get water. Every 2-3 days they get 1 glass of milk otherwise it is water. The oldest won't drink milk. If I buy juice 1L goes in 1 meal, it becomes very expensive to buy. The more juice they get the more they want it because of the sugars in it.
Drinking juice may not have the nutritional benefits of real fruit, but water surely doesn't even come close. I'm not saying that water is bad and as far as the price goes, I don't know where you live, but water isn't free here. My daughter drinks 100% juice. It's not like I give her Hawaiin punch or anything.

It isn't only the sugars (and natural sugars), that attracts them, but the taste. In my household, we give juice with appropriate nutrition.

Miley Rae was born July 29, 2008 6lb3oz 19"
MomsHelpingMoms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2006, 07:17 AM   #19
offlikeapromdress
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

We bought some of those decorative ice cubes from walmart. The ones we have are red stars, blue stars, and white stars and we put that only in water cups. So she likes having the extra thing added in. But adding a squeeze of lemon is a good suggestion. My 3 yr old loves water..
Old 05-09-2006, 07:36 AM   #20
keegans_mommy
I had the CD wagon impounded!
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by wbkt8
maybe a squeeze of lime/lemon? or you could try adding just a little bit of juice to it?

I do this as I don't like water either LOL
keegans_mommy is offline   Reply With Quote