Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-28-2007, 11:07 AM   #21
pixilated
Registered Users
seller

Re: Is this true?

I agree, that's just silly. Can you call the maternity ward at your hospital and ask them? Luckily, you do have time to get this all straightened out.

Advertisement

Old 10-28-2007, 11:09 AM   #22
pitter_patter
Registered Users
seller

That sounds a little off..I don't think a hospital can dictate what type of carseat you have!!! What are they going to do when you leave? Refuse to let you take your baby?

I know for smaller babies, a hospital does a carseat test to monitor their breathing and make sure the baby can breathe while in an upright position, but that is typically only done on SMALL (less than 5lbs) pre-term babies.
pitter_patter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2007, 11:09 AM   #23
mgl
Registered Users
seller
seller

Call and talk to a nurse on the mother baby floor. I used to work there. The security officers had nothing to do with moms leaving, the nursing staff took care of all of that. We didn't have a problem with convertible seats at my hospital. We just had to make sure the baby was buckled into a carseat that fits infants before they could leave. If we got to the car and there was no seat, we couldn't let them leave, but if there was a proper seat then everything was fine.
Old 10-28-2007, 11:12 AM   #24
thenanny
Banned
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittkat398 View Post
You just need a carseat that can accomodate an infant, it doesn't have to be a carrier bucket style, convertibles are fine.
thenanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2007, 11:15 AM   #25
bobandjess99
Registered Users
seller

NOPE. They are trying to make up their own laws, which is illegal.
you may use ANY carseat you want (as long as it is approved/legal - like you cant put the baby ina booster, lol)) They have NO right to tell you what kind of carseat to buy.
CALL the police if they try anything with you. SERIOUSLY. Actually, I would call the local safekids carseat leader prior to going, and let her/him know what the hospital is trying to pull, and most places have poolice who are certified in carseat stuf as well.
bobandjess99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2007, 11:17 AM   #26
3rockstars
Registered Users
Formerly: FaeryGnomeHome
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by OwensMama View Post
Did some one say earlier you were in Rhode Island? If so here is a link with contacts

http://www.risp.state.ri.us/safekids/

If not just google "safe kids + your state" and you will get results.
I just called the state police and the guy got mad at me saying that safety holds no price tag(when I told him I couldn't afford a bucket seat to take her home PLUS a convertible to put her in all the time) and that he wont' get into what women and infants(my hospital) told me. he said that the law states that I need a car seat suitable for the child's weight and age. So basically he was no help and I have two differing opinions. But on the chart on that site(which was VERY helpful by the way, thank you!) it states that an acceptable infant seat includes both the bucket and a convertible rated down to 5lbs. AND children over 7(which my oldest is) are exempt from sitting in the back seat if there's no room in the back because it's already occupied by other children or if there's no back seat option(pick up truck). So theoretically I could put her in the front seat in her booster. But my car doesn't have passenger side air bags so maybe not?????
Exceptions
Children under age seven (7) are exempt
from being transported in the back seat
IF: (a) the vehicle has no rear seating
position (i.e.,pick-up,sports car).
(b) all rear seating positions are
already being utilized by other
children. In the (b) situation,
the oldest child should ride in
the front seat if the vehicle is
equipped with passenger side
air bag

So now I still have no idea. And I KNOW that the front seat is not safe for a 48lb 7 year old little girl, which is why I have been saving my pennies for the last 6 months to buy two radians for the youngest children so everyone can sit in the back!

And by the way, I AM in RI.

Last edited by 3rockstars; 10-28-2007 at 11:21 AM.
3rockstars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2007, 11:22 AM   #27
pixilated
Registered Users
seller

Okay, first, you are talking to ALL the wrong people. Relax, you have until February right?

First, call the nurses station of the hospital you'll be delivering at. Ask them what hospital policy is, and if it is about the infant bucket(which is stupid), ask them why you couldn't use a convertible carseat instead. They should be able to give you a decent answer. And then contact your local Safe Kids organization, or Health Department. Make sure you have all your seats checked prior to giving birth too.
Old 10-28-2007, 11:26 AM   #28
saongiri
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

you can check with your local health bureau- they often have baby seats that they give out for free to people who can't afford one-also many hospitals have rental programs - sorry I have other help offer
Old 10-28-2007, 11:27 AM   #29
mollies73
Registered Users

I had a problem something like this. I drove myself to the hospital because I was having some bleeding. They would not let me drive myself home, so I said someone was getting me. My husband picked me up at the door, then drove me over to my vehicle and I drove home. Is your hospital in a residental section? Just bring a stroller and tell them that you are walking home. Then have your family pick you up around the corner. The other thing is, my hospital let me sign a waiver to say that they were not responsible if I chose to leave in a carseat not suitable for my child. I bought an infant seat and they said the strap did not fit properly. I just signed the waiver and left. I'm sure there's some loophole. Best of luck!
Old 10-28-2007, 11:32 AM   #30
pixilated
Registered Users
seller

I personally would be upset if there was some "loophole" that allowed the hospital to let me leave with a carseat that didn't fit my child properly, especially if there was a strap problem.

A convertible carseat can, and most do fit an infant just fine. And the Radian really does have rather low bottom slots, plus if you buy the extra infant insert(comes with the Radian 80, but you can purchase it seperately for the Radian 65) the seat is perfect for a newborn.