Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-28-2007, 09:09 AM   #1
3rockstars
Registered Users
Formerly: FaeryGnomeHome
seller

Angry Is this true??? updated.

Hospitals wont' let you go home without an infant carseat? Like the bucket kind????

To fit my kids in my car I need 2 radians for the youngest and my oldest will keep her graco turbo booster. I can't fit an infant bucket seat. Is this true????

UPDATE: I just called and talked to the security officers and he said that you DO have to have the infant bucket seat to leave the hospital. He said that you have to be able to bring it up to the room and buckle the baby in it and then snap it into the base in the car in front of the nurse. What am I going to do? I can't fit a seat that wide in my car with the other two kids in car seats too and I can't afford both! I was SURE that buying 2-3 radians would simplify the issue so that I didn't need a new car. I'm a single mama supporting my kids on a waitress's salary! I dont' know hwo to fix this!

Advertisement

Last edited by 3rockstars; 10-28-2007 at 11:07 AM.
3rockstars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2007, 09:17 AM   #2
*Katherine*
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Is this true???

It depends on the hospital. With DD#1, they had us bring the carseat up and put her in it before they would release us. DD#2 (different hospital) they just said we had to have a carseat, but they never inspected it or even made sure we had it. They made us hold her on my wheelchair ride down.
Old 10-28-2007, 09:19 AM   #3
LessonsInLife
Registered Users
Formerly: Cienciasmom
seller

My Mood:

The baby has to be in a size appropriate car seat. This is usually the infant bucket seat but it can be any seat that is designed for a child as small as 5 lbs. So if you have a convertible car seat that goes as low as 5 pounds then you should be good to go. If your uncertain then call the hospital.

With ds and dd1 we brought the car seat onto the maternity floor and everything was good. With dd2, delivered at same hospital as ds, even though we had her car seat they went with us to the car and made sure she was buckled in properly.

Last edited by LessonsInLife; 10-28-2007 at 09:20 AM.
LessonsInLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2007, 09:20 AM   #4
Prettylocks
Registered Users
seller

Call your hospital and find out their policy. I don't see why you couldn't use a convertable carseat unless your babe is very small.
Old 10-28-2007, 09:21 AM   #5
Jillybean
Registered Users
seller

They're supposed to make sure the baby leaves in a carseat, if you aren't using a bucket I would think they could walk down and watch you put the baby in your convertible seat. They should not have a problem with that and if they do just raise a stink til they get over it.
Old 10-28-2007, 09:31 AM   #6
urchin_grey
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I'd tell 'em to kiss my arse. A convertable is just as good as a bucket (not to mention buckets are a waste of money, IMO).
urchin_grey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2007, 09:32 AM   #7
Rhianna'sMommy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I suppose it depends on the hosp. At ours the nurse walked the baby to the car and watched us buckle her in properly. We couldn't walk the baby out though - the nurse had to take her to the car to make sure we had a carseat that was properly installed.
Rhianna'sMommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2007, 10:53 AM   #8
cadibugsmama
Banned

My Mood:

I'd check with the hospital you plan to deliver at. They told us we had to have a size-appropriate carseat in order to leave the hospital, but they never even checked it. They wheeled me out, while I was holding her, and as soon as I got up to start putting her in the car, (as hubby was putting belongings into the trunk) they took the wheelchair and vanished! I could have fallen or taken off walking or anything. They never checked us. Kinda ticked me off at the time, but I just wanted to get my baby home at that point. (We left when she was 24 hrs old on the dot-that's the soonest they'd allow. I was ready to leave about 3 hrs after delivery.)
cadibugsmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2007, 11:03 AM   #9
starbuckmom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

They didn't make a fuss at our hospital. The day we brought our ds home, the hospital had a people there to inspect the car seat instillation. I was ok with the Britax Marathon, but they didn't like the piece of fabric underneath. I think it's called a car seat mat or something like that. It has bumps on the bottom to keep it from sliding and has pockets on the front. So, they removed that and put in a rug pad. One of those non-slip pads to go under a rug. In my mind, not much of a difference.

The nurse did stay to watch me buckle up my ds. I have been buckling kids in car seats for years. I was a nanny. I knew what I was doing.

urchin_greyI'd tell 'em to kiss my arse. A convertable is just as good as a bucket (not to mention buckets are a waste of money, IMO).

I am glad to get the convertible. We won't have to get another car seat for quite a while. I like saving money!
starbuckmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2007, 11:22 AM   #10
urchin_grey
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Is this true??? updated.

F that! What can they do?? Call CPS or something?
urchin_grey is offline   Reply With Quote