Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-28-2007, 11:29 AM   #11
RockinClothBunz
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Is this true??? updated.

Maybe talk to a nurse, not a security guard. At my hospital they just need to know you have a carseat. That makes no sense. Tell them you can't afford another one. If that is truley the case, I think you can rent them from the hospital. Just rent one for the day you bring the baby home from the hospital or borrow one from a friend just for that day.

Advertisement

Auntie to Trentin 5-31-09
RockinClothBunz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2007, 11:30 AM   #12
3rockstars
Registered Users
Formerly: FaeryGnomeHome
seller

I called the state police a minute ago too and the guy yelled at me telling me you couldn't put a price on safety and he wouldn't give me the number of someone I could call to get more information about car seat laws. He said I would come in to any barracks to get my car seats checked and installed for safety though. And that totally DOES NOT help OR answer my specific question.
Old 10-28-2007, 11:31 AM   #13
sahminaz
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

You are going to take the final word from a security office? Don't take no for an answer. You having to have a bucket in the nursing station is out of pure convience for them not you! They don't want to have to go down to your car. it's not they are not going to let you NOT take YOUR baby home. There are people who don't even own cars, no need for a carseat, ya know? Stick with the convertible(if your baby can properly fit in it). If they won't let you sign out of the hospital then sign out AMA.
Old 10-28-2007, 11:34 AM   #14
3rockstars
Registered Users
Formerly: FaeryGnomeHome
seller

Well I have no issues with signing out AMA but I didn't know if they would just allow ME to leave or if they would let me take my baby too. It's not like I'm NOT keeping my kids all safe. IT's that I have limited finances and limited options and their rule doesn't make sense. I just called the postpartum floor and the nurses didn't know/ They said that the only thing they'd ever seen were the infant carseats/carriers. So they said that they would tend to agree with the security office.
Old 10-28-2007, 11:36 AM   #15
sahminaz
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

The security officers are not CPST. Convertible carseats are approved for newborn use. It's that not many people use them for newborns because then they have to carry their babies. God forbid. Don't worry mama, do what you have to do to fit those kids safetly in your car.
Old 10-28-2007, 11:39 AM   #16
pixilated
Registered Users
seller

Did you tell them about the space issues? Infant buckets are big and wide, and if you need to fit 3 seats in the back seat, it may be tough to do with an infant bucket. Plus the cost issues, I'd rather see a parent spend the $180-200 on a Radian(plus the $30 for the factory provided and tested with the seat infant inserts) that will last until your child is ready for a booster, than spend $50 on some crappy Cosco or Evenflo infant bucket, and then buy the Radian.

Call your local Safe Kids, and ask their opinion. There is no law in Rhode Island that says you have to use an infant bucket, just like there is no law in any state that says you have to use an infant bucket.
Old 10-28-2007, 11:57 AM   #17
House of Blue
Registered Users
seller

Ugh! Just take the damn car seat instructions up with you when you deliver. They just want to make sure that your have your child in a proper legal seat, that's all.... Which IMO isn't unreasonable, there are way to many morons out there who think it's A-OK to drive home with their newborn on their lap. The hospital just want to make insure THAT doesn't happen. If you have a legal seat that fits your child properly and is installed properly there will be no problem. Having the seat instructions with you that has proof it's designed for a small rear facing infant when installed rear facing is all your need (keeping in mind not all larger seats are designed to be rear facing with a newborn... So it would be good to have proof this seat is designed for it) . If you still don't feel secure doing that talk to someone who knows for sure, maybe hospital administration? Explain that you have a safe legal seat which is permanently, properly and legally installed in your car for a newborn, that you have documents for the seat that state it can be used for a newborn and that you will be happy to allow staff to come down and inspect it when you leave.
House of Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2007, 11:57 AM   #18
4boys1girlforme
Registered Users
Previously: 4boysforme
seller
seller

My Mood:

Do you have an infant seat? Maybe you could just use it for the trip home from the hospital?
OR
Maybe it would fit in the middle position with your older girls FF on each side in their Radians. Radians go up to 65 pounds and your older girls would be safer in them with the 5 pount harness anyways.

IMO it isn't worth getting a pg mama upset before and newly hormonal mama after and knowing you are going to have to fight to leave the hospital.
I have a Radian and a Graco snugride with base- would you like measurement of the bottoms of each?
Lee Ann RN student/ SAHM to Jaret '00, Spencer '03, Preston '05 (CLW at 37 months), Griffin '08 by VBAC (CLW at 21 months), & Mallory '10 by VBAC (CLW at 43 months)! Formerly tandem & bfing for a combined total of nearly 11 years! Also cloth diapering & baby wearingMy HUGE FSOT

Last edited by 4boys1girlforme; 10-28-2007 at 11:59 AM.
4boys1girlforme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2007, 12:02 PM   #19
togg_mama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

We left the NICU with a convertible seat with my DD1 two and half years ago. The nurse tried to give us grief and we kept reminding her that it was an authorized safety seat and rated for DD's weight and size. She eventually let us leave.

With DD2 we left the regular floor and no one even bothered to check it.

The other thing is, if your LO is in the NICU, they want to do the car seat challenge to make sure they don't code in the car. In that case, just bring the convertable seat upstairs.

The other thing you can do is the same thing everyone else suggested and just borrow a bucket to bring your LO home and then swap it out later for what works.

Whatever you do, don't mention your finances or lack of space as your reasoning. "This is the seat we have chosen for our little one. It's an approved brand." Rinse dry and repeat.
togg_mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2007, 12:05 PM   #20
GrahamBaby4
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Call The Labor and delivery or family unit of the hospital and explain your situation. I did this for ours and they had no problem going to the car to see her put in her seat!
Even though when I called the hospital and spoke with someone else they told me ONLY the bucket seats were allowed. Which, they cannot dictate which carseat you put in your car!

Quote:
Originally Posted by faerybugmady View Post
Hospitals wont' let you go home without an infant carseat? Like the bucket kind????

To fit my kids in my car I need 2 radians for the youngest and my oldest will keep her graco turbo booster. I can't fit an infant bucket seat. Is this true????

UPDATE: I just called and talked to the security officers and he said that you DO have to have the infant bucket seat to leave the hospital. He said that you have to be able to bring it up to the room and buckle the baby in it and then snap it into the base in the car in front of the nurse. What am I going to do? I can't fit a seat that wide in my car with the other two kids in car seats too and I can't afford both! I was SURE that buying 2-3 radians would simplify the issue so that I didn't need a new car. I'm a single mama supporting my kids on a waitress's salary! I dont' know hwo to fix this!
GrahamBaby4 is offline   Reply With Quote