Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-28-2007, 12:59 PM   #21
3rockstars
Registered Users
Formerly: FaeryGnomeHome
seller

Re: Is this true??? updated.

Yeah I did call the labor and delivery floor and spoke to the nurse at the station there. She said that she's never seen parents leave without a bucket seat and that if security told me that I need a bucket seat that they are the final word. I told her about my conversation with the RI state police and she said that that just further proves the point that I need an infant seat. I believe the graco snugride is 17inches across the bottom, which is the same as my oldest daughter's graco turbo booster. SOOOO, theoretically it would be possible to use the radians forward facing on both outside seats and put the new baby in the middle in a bucket seat but after paying several hundred dollars for new radians, I can't swing another $80 or more on an infant seat that will only be used for a few months. I have a divorce to pay for plus christmas and new baby preparations. And my husband won't help other than child support(which to his credit he religiously pays). So someone suggested(in my original thread in off topic discussion) that I call human services(where we have wic and medicaid benefits) and ask them about any low-cost programs for infant seats and still buy the two radians. Someone said they can be as cheap as $10 and that's worth the price of sanity to me before and on my delivery date. So I'm hoping that's an option for us. Car seats are just so pricey but NOT obeying the law is even more pricey.

Advertisement

Old 10-28-2007, 01:07 PM   #22
deb
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I think some hospitals have a program that will provide you with an infant seat if you don't have one. I don't know much about it though, it's just something I've heard.

I found this:
http://www.saferchild.org/carseat.htm

I hope it helps
Old 10-28-2007, 01:07 PM   #23
singlemomto3
Registered Users
seller

They need to walk their butts out to the car and see the seat. My friends cousin used a convertable. They were weird about it, but walked out to see it anyway. First they wanted to have her bring it up, she said no way. It ended up being ok. No reason you should have to buy 2 seats.
singlemomto3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2007, 01:09 PM   #24
Mom2MaggieSue
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

at our hospital you have to bring the convertible into the hospital so they can check that you have the baby in their correctly. Then you have to take it back out to the car, reinstall it, and the nurse will watch you put your baby in the carseat. Maybe they would be willing to do something like that?
Old 10-28-2007, 01:13 PM   #25
homeschoolingmama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by faerybugmady View Post
Yeah I did call the labor and delivery floor and spoke to the nurse at the station there. She said that she's never seen parents leave without a bucket seat and that if security told me that I need a bucket seat that they are the final word. I told her about my conversation with the RI state police and she said that that just further proves the point that I need an infant seat. I believe the graco snugride is 17inches across the bottom, which is the same as my oldest daughter's graco turbo booster. SOOOO, theoretically it would be possible to use the radians forward facing on both outside seats and put the new baby in the middle in a bucket seat but after paying several hundred dollars for new radians, I can't swing another $80 or more on an infant seat that will only be used for a few months. I have a divorce to pay for plus christmas and new baby preparations. And my husband won't help other than child support(which to his credit he religiously pays). So someone suggested(in my original thread in off topic discussion) that I call human services(where we have wic and medicaid benefits) and ask them about any low-cost programs for infant seats and still buy the two radians. Someone said they can be as cheap as $10 and that's worth the price of sanity to me before and on my delivery date. So I'm hoping that's an option for us. Car seats are just so pricey but NOT obeying the law is even more pricey.
There is a program that usually will give carseats to mama's in need, in this state anyhow (I'm in TN).. BUT I don't believe the law requires that an infant be in an infant carrier type carseat, it is my understanding that a convertible is also acceptable. I would verify the law, and tell the hospital that they could not require me to have it since the law did not require it, but I would be happy to let them watch me buckle the baby in a convertible.
Old 10-28-2007, 01:15 PM   #26
sahminaz
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Hospital security doesn't have the final word. Of course that is what they want you to believe. What is security going to call the cops on you? Seriously mama. You are not doing anything illegal. If it it going to save you some sanity by all means get a infant seat, but if you cant afford it you can't afford it. let it be their problem and not yours. I can't stand when people like that try and make you feel like they have the final say. You have the final say its your baby. call your local fire station there are normally programs that offer free carseats.
Old 10-28-2007, 01:26 PM   #27
kezoo
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I would call the "Security Office" and ask to speak to a supervisor. Then ask the sup for a copy of the "law" that says you have to specifically have a bucket. If the sup says "it's hospital policy" ask him 1. for a copy of the policy and 2. if he feels the hospital has the authority to override federal regulations with regard to infant car seats. A convertible car seat with a low enough weight range is perfectly safe and IMO the hospital does NOT have the authority or the right to dictate what kind of infant car seat you buy for your child (aside from obviously making sure you have a seat and that the weight range is appropriate). If the policy is because they are too lazy to walk their behind down to see your car seat, then that is their problem, not yours.
kezoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2007, 01:34 PM   #28
val01
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I know my DDs Roundabout goes from 5-40 lbs. Your hospitals policy sucks!

I would look on Freecycle or Craigslist in your area for a seat. If you live far away, drive a block away, move baby into your good seat.
Valerie

OP - if you feel comfortable, can you post what state/area you are in. Maybe a DS Mama can loan you one. If you are in SE VA, I have you covered - no biggie. I have 3!

Last edited by val01; 10-28-2007 at 01:36 PM.
val01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2007, 01:34 PM   #29
mama2madj
Registered Users
seller
seller

security's wrong....plain and simple....a convertible child seat is allowed for newborns in any state....I know when we left the hosp they always wanted the baby put in their seat before being wheeled down since baby should always be fitted into the carseat before installing anyways to ensure a proper fit (which is just easier w/ buckets since the base is installed separately from the fitting of the baby seat). tell that SP to shove it....using a seat that is made for newborns as well as 1+yo's is NOT putting a price on safety

and i don't think buckets are pointless, and to make an assumption (not the OP) that a person only has a bucket so they don't hafta carry their babies is uncalled for.
I have a bucket for the baby coming, and it's certainly not so i don't hafta get my baby out of the carseat!
Old 10-28-2007, 02:04 PM   #30
sahminaz
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Becka-I didn't say that the only reason for a bucket is so that the parent doesn't have to carry the baby. i was saying god forbid they have no choice but to carry their infants. Sad but true many parents have no idea what to do if their baby is asleep and they didn't have an infant carseat(bucket). You may not be one of those that never takes their baby out, but so many people use the carseat as a "carrier" waaay too often. I seriously have had people ask me in regards to not having an infant carseat.."what do you do if your baby is sleeping?" I used an infant carseat for my ds for the first 2 months but i didn't use it as a carrier, that is what my arms are for.