Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-27-2006, 10:30 AM   #1
EasterBun
Yarn Snob
seller

My Mood:
I fought for this for a year.. for NOTHING!!

It's taken a year for me to get our ped to refer us to a speech therapist. I FINALLY got her to do the referral, only to find out that our insurance won't cover anything because it's not "resulting from an organic sickness, injury, stroke, or a congenital anomoly"

They will cover the initial evaluation, but nothing else. Seriously, WTF???!!! I wonder why even bother with the eval if we can't do anything beyond that. There is just no way we can pay out of pocket right now either... as much as I would want to.

I am just feeling so crushed right now. There are times I can't even understand him, because he stutters SO bad. He gets mad at HIMSELF because he can't say things. I have family members basically asking me why we haven't done anything about it yet (as if I can wave a magic wand?) and people stare at him and make comments in public. This is definately NOT NORMAL and no one seems to care.

He can get some limited speech therapy through school once that starts, but I have basically been given the indication that it's not something he can do if he isn't enrolled. This is just total CRAP!

Advertisement

EasterBun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2006, 10:55 AM   #2
cowmommy
But I say unto you, Love your enemies, bless them that curse you, do good to them that hate you, and pray for them which despitefully use you, and persecute you; Matthew 5:44
sitesupporter
seller

My Mood:
Re: I fought for this for a year.. for NOTHING!!

Our public schools here said that they do it with any children in the community that needs it. I had intentions on taking DD but she has FINALLY started listening to DH and I when we try to help her (((HUGS))) Mama I hope you find something that works for you. maybe check with your local Department of Child and family services to see if they offer anything
Old 07-27-2006, 10:57 AM   #3
wbkt8
Registered Users
seller

i'm guessing he's too old for the easter seals/early intervention programs....i don't know if they could point you toward any other programs.....

insurance is SOOO crappy sometimes!

Old 07-27-2006, 10:59 AM   #4
beenwaitingalongtime
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Don't you have a child study team out there that does early intervention? What about any local colleges w/ speech therapy as a major?
My undergrad was in SLP/Audiology and we had a clinic on-campus where we did our clinical practice. Our services were free to the neighborhood...
Old 07-27-2006, 12:06 PM   #5
KnottyLDSMama
Peachy with a side of keen, that would be me
Formerly: Moonprysm
seller
seller

My Mood:

My roommate's DS goes to the public school for some kind of community program because he has major speach problems. Is there not anything like that in your area?
KnottyLDSMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2006, 12:37 PM   #6
SugarBunsWool&More
Formerly: RileysMama
seller

My Mood:

Go in for the evaluation and see if the speech thereapist will work with you!
SugarBunsWool&More is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2006, 01:20 PM   #7
smapple
Registered Users
seller
seller

We are starting the process of having our son evaluated and hopefully getting him into speech therapy. A friend of ours told us about Child Find, and then I asked our pediatrician about it and they put us in touch with them. Here is what I believe is the Child Find web site and I believe it is a federal program.... see if you can find one in your area! Ask your ped or DHS or someone ?

http://www.childfindidea.org/
smapple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2006, 02:56 PM   #8
movaly1
Registered Users
seller

I am a Speech Therapist that has worked in the public schools for years. Any public school in the US is required to provide speech therapy (free) (and physical therapy, occupational therapy, etc) to children between the ages of 3 and 18 (or 21 if they have developmental disabilities) if they qualify for services. However, each school district uses different criteria to determine who qualifies so I can't tell you if your son would qualify or not. You should call your neighborhood school to get more information. If they don't seem to know what to do, call your Board of Education or District headquarters. If a parent specifically requests an evaluation (especially via written means), they should honor it (they are required to by law). There are also all kinds of regulations about how many days they have to do it and all that but I won't go into details here.

Just be forewarned that unless you are in a wealthy school district it will probably be unlikely that your son will get individual therapy. School speech therapists are usually overloaded with students due to lack of funding for special education and/or shortage of Speech Therapists (which is a nationwide problem right now).

Feel free to pm me if you have more questions.

Valerie
movaly1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2006, 02:58 PM   #9
movaly1
Registered Users
seller

Oh, I forgot to say to go ahead and get the evaluation from a private speech therapist if your insurance is going to pay for it. If the private therapist does a thorough eval and documents a need for services, the school ***may*** accept that evaluation and not test him all over again. Then, if he qualifies, he could start to receive therapy even sooner!
movaly1 is offline   Reply With Quote