Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-27-2006, 10:55 AM   #1
octobersweetpea
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
which bottles for pumped milk?

Ok, I was all set to get a few Avent bottles to have ready for pumping after baby arrives. I had heard these were best and what all LCs recommend (although I have heard about the issues with tightening/leaking).
I just went to a breastfeeding class last night and the LC said Avent is the absolute worst! Now I know everyone will have different opinions, but a LC saying that makes me think I should get something else. She recommended Dr Browns, Playtex Ventair, and Playtex Natural Latch.
I know I don't want to get a bunch before I know what baby likes. But I wanted to get a few so I feel prepared. I think I'm going to get the Ameda Purely Yours pump.
Anybody have recommendations for bottles?
Thanks!

Advertisement

octobersweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2006, 11:00 AM   #2
EmnJJsMom
Registered Users
seller

Re: which bottles for pumped milk?

All 3 of those that your LC recomended are AWESOME. I have tried other stuff (including avent) and hated them, especially for breastfed babies. Playtex ventair became my fave because it was the easiest to clean and I got tired of the bags!
EmnJJsMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2006, 11:01 AM   #3
Emma
Registered Users
seller

We use Dr. Brown's when DH feeds DD. We haven't had any problems w/them that you would normally associate w/bottles.
Emma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2006, 11:10 AM   #4
lilmama2dsndd
Boobies Broke? Gorilla Glue Em!!!
seller

My Mood:

The only bottle DD would ever take was an avent, we tried several others and finally avent and it worked. I would try buying one of several different types so you cansee what works best for you. Anything that doesn't work you can always list for another mama to try. DS took regular old bottles and nipples without any problems. Every baby is different.
Old 07-27-2006, 11:15 AM   #5
bamamom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

my personal favorite are the playex disposables with the latex naturaltch nipples. they just seem to be the closest...

but we have also used ventaire...nice for car rides, easy to mix formula in /powder water, pain to screw off and on, bottom and top, easy to clean.

hated Dr Browns..
bamamom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2006, 11:18 AM   #6
Julesmom23girls
Banned

My Mood:

We have used Avent w/ both Dd w/out problems. I mean sometimes the leak but it is usually because I didn't get the nipple in the ring right or something that was my fault. I have hear DR Brown are really good, but have never tried them. Like you said every one has different opinions, but I wouldn't be afraid to try the Avent. I have the Avent manual pump and could pump as much w/ it as I did w/ the hospital grade Medula that I borrowed for a little while. You may want an electric pump if you are going to use it much but I am a SAHM, so I only use it occasionally.
Julesmom23girls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2006, 11:54 AM   #7
rpg_mommy
Registered Users

We've tried a LOT of different types of bottles with DS, trying to figgure out what he liked once I went back to work. We started out with Gerber bottles because I started with a Gerber manual pump. Those bottles have the big nipples. We got some big Vent-Air bottles too with those same big nipples. DS hates them. He can't get a good latch on them.

We switched to Dr Browns, with the little small nipples, and they work like a dream. I have a Medela pump now, and the little nipples fit in the milk storage bottles, so sometimes he drinks right out of those. Never had a problem with them.

It's really different strokes for different folks though - I know plenty of babies that latch to big nipples better and plenty that latch to little nipples better. Just gotta try out different types with your little one.
rpg_mommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2006, 11:59 AM   #8
toryandrew
Registered Users
seller

We use Avent and just basic discount Evenflo ones. You need a special converter to use Avent with the Ameda (that's the pump I have)

If I could do it all over again, (these bottles are on the 2nd baby) I would buy the GLASS Evenflo ones. They say the glass is healthier and they fit the Ameda pump exactly. Also glass keeps the breastmilk fresher and maintains the nutrients and immunities.

I just could replace all of my bottles, too much money
toryandrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2006, 12:05 PM   #9
octobersweetpea
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

What are the glass Evenflo bottles called? I was interested in them too but I didn't see them on their website.
octobersweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2006, 12:07 PM   #10
toryandrew
Registered Users
seller

"Classic"

Here they are on Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/AS.../chrisficti-20
toryandrew is offline   Reply With Quote