Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-28-2007, 01:38 PM   #1
Bukawww
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Am I slacking????

My dd2 is 27 months and happy as a clam in diapers...even if she is soiled she will tell me 'Nahhhh!' if I ask her if she needs it changed...then I have to chase her to get it changed. She doesn't want to go on the potty. Every time she is asked, she says no and I've even tried to gently encourage her which makes her get upset which is when I stop 'pushing' her to go.

Is there something else I could try? Is she just not ready yet? Is it okay if she's not ready yet? My dd1 did everything on her own sooner than I expected so this is new to me.

Advertisement

DS WAHM thread
Bukawww is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2007, 01:51 PM   #2
ktmelody
No Longer Here

My Mood:
Re: Am I slacking????

Naked, naked, naked! The only way i could ever potty train any of my LO's is by letting them be naked and catching them.

Wendy has been able to pee and poop in the potty since 14 months. But as soon as your put underwear on her, she pees in them. Plus, I like her diapers too much! LOL.

My oldest was 3 when she Pled and Franky was 3. Veda had just turned 2 when she PLed. All at their own time. But naked time worked for us in a week each time we did it.

HTH mama.

PS: Hope to see you for a walk soon!
ktmelody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2007, 01:51 PM   #3
Roseplummer
Registered Users

My Mood:

Just give her time! I never push my kids on potty learning and as a result once they were ready it only took a couple days to completly stop needing dipes.
Old 10-28-2007, 03:05 PM   #4
OrangeBananas
Registered Users
Formerly: Savannah+6
seller
seller

Just give it time. My DS is 2 years and 8 months and still in diapers. We tried but he wasn't ready. I even did the naked thing, but it was like having a puppy in the house. I just think they will use the potty when they are ready.

OrangeBananas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2007, 03:17 PM   #5
Katherine
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Take it from someone who's been riding the pl roller coaster since June - let her decide when to start.

I teach, and DD turned 2 in June, so I thought it would be ideal to get her pl'ed this past summer when I could be home with her full time. We started off doing the nakey thing, and failed. Utterly. We tried picking out special panties. Failure. Tried stickers. Failure. Tried all the techniques you read about short of sitting her on the potty and making her stay until she went. We failed so bad - it was terrible. My sweet little dd got all upset and her attitude went downhill, she became angry and sour. I gave up after a week and she was happy as could be back in diapers.

Then, the tuesday after Labor Day, the 2 yr old boy who goes to her sitters had some potty success over the weekend, and went to the sitter's with a nice big bag of m&m's for when he used the potty. He went once that day in the morning, and my dd saw him get a m&m for it. So she went twice that day in the potty. That evening we bought our own m&m bags and ever since then she's been progressing until now she's completely pl'ed during the day and has only had one real accident in 2 weeks.

I don't think it was the candy that motivated her - even now, it's a reward, not motivation. It was seeing the little boy use the potty that triggered something in her mind and made her decide she was ready to do it. In school we learned it as cognitive dissonance - when kids see someone they consider a peer or equal doing something they can't, they realize they have the capability of doing it, too.

Her motivation after the initial experience of seeing her friend use the potty has been personal pride in doing something so adult, as well as excitement about wearing fancy panties and over being a "little girl", not a baby. She was very enthused to help pack up the diapers. None of this would have worked or been effective motivation until she had that initial experience of deciding it was time to use the potty.

Give it time. It's hard, I know, but each kid has their own time table and will learn in their own time. Pushing it could lead to lots of frustration, behavioral problems, and setbacks. A coworker has a little girl who's almost 4 and she will have "accidents" when she's unhappy about how things are going or not getting her way. She was very much pushed in pl'ing.

Oh, and get the Elmo's potty time DVD. DD LOVES it and it's so inspirational - it even made me relax about her pl'ing.
Katherine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2007, 03:23 PM   #6
Meg678
Registered Users
seller

I believe when a child is ready to PL she will tell you or be interested. If she likes her dipes, let her keep them until she shows interest in going on the potty. It's no biggy, I wouldn't stress over it too much.
Old 10-28-2007, 04:00 PM   #7
tallanvor
Registered Users
seller

As my MIL says, "No one ever got married wearing diapers." Your LO will learn when she's ready. My son didn't learn until he was 3 1/2, but he has had far fewer accidents than most kids I know. My daughter learned at about 2 1/2 and had tons of accidents, but I don't think we pushed her, I think it was just too much change at once. Oh, and a food allergy. Who knew a food allergy could cause accidents?

Anyway, give her time. 27 months is still pretty young.
tallanvor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2007, 05:40 PM   #8
Bukawww
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

YAY! THanks for all the encouraging words. I just wanted to make sure I wasn't just being lazy by not doing more 'encouraging'. We also have a cousin with autism who didn't PL till he was 7 and even now at almost 9 still wears Pull-ups to bed (and wets them)...so my family has a skewed view of when kids should be Pl'd (and they aren't afraid to speak their mind about it either).

Definitely gonna get Elmo's potty DVD - dd LURVES her some Elmo!

And we are so not into pushing when it comes to stuff like that...every once in a while we'd get a little too aggressive with dd1 and the potty (cause we were frustrated first time parents) and that only backfired BIG TIME. Luckily we are part of the crowd that learns from our mistakes...not our way or the highway (like my mom and dad).

Thanks Again!
DS WAHM thread
Bukawww is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2007, 07:11 PM   #9
jls~Kain~Drake
Registered Users

My Mood:

Don't push! When she's ready ready, you'll know.

It's okay that she's not pl'd (or interested in it!) yet.
Old 10-28-2007, 07:41 PM   #10
homeschoolingmama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I would not push her directly, but I would encourage her indirectly KWIM? Set out a potty and say good things about it! Be excited and act like it is the coolest thing! Choose a reward and make a big thing out of it being there for some little one who may want to use that potty... Just talk it up and have fun, read books, etc! She'll come around soon enough!