Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-29-2007, 09:04 AM   #21
Jillybean
Registered Users
seller

Re: post your "stuff to skip" for registry/first baby...

I won't make a list right now but as for nursing pillows I have a boppy and my brest friend and my brest friend is the best. Since it straps on baby can't slide down between it and you, the only people I know of that haven't loved them are larger plus size mamas because the adjustable strap wasn't large enough.

Advertisement

Old 10-29-2007, 09:05 AM   #22
addicted2cloth
Registered Users

My Mood:

If your planning on BFing I would skip a bottle warmer. Actually even if your not planning on BFing. Also the heated wipes warmer seems a waste to me. I would buy most stuff used if you don't get it for your registry. Just check out craigslist and stuff like that. Like the play yards that everyone get. I spent a $160 for one and my DS hated it. Since I got rid of everything thinking my DS was going to be my last, this time I have been buying used. Everything is in new condition and of course I also clean and sterilize everything. At least with used, if you take good care of things you can resale for what you paid generally. Babies grow out of things soo fast. Things both my children loved swing (I bought the portable one for DS and this one), exersaucer, play mat, there pacifier (I had lots of these on hand). For the most part they need a place to sleep, clothes (plenty of easy on and off clothes). Buy things that have snaps in the crotch. If you have to unzip the back to change the baby that is a pain also I found for my children things that zipped down one leg were a pain as well.

As a final note I recommend looking to see if your town has a mothers club. They can be a great resource and it's a great place to make new friend that have children the same age as yours.
addicted2cloth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2007, 10:17 AM   #23
sourpatch_babe
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

a 1000 bibs. Even though we had the world's biggest drooler (he started teething non stop since about 8 weeks), they were of no use whatsoever.

receiving blankets. I used maybe two or three of them. The Kid hated to be swaddled.

bumper/crib set. not needed at all, much better to take the 40-50 dollars it costs for a cheap set and buy some diapers.

depending on the type of sink that you have, a baby bathtub is not needed. I had a pedestal sink in my bathroom and it was perfect for the newborn stage (the kitchen sink was metal and cold). He got an inflatable tub later on that still fits him perfectly and works great. I do prefer the tubs for the older child stage because you're not using up nearly half as much water as you would if you were to fill up the bathtub. Plus it's portable so I can take it anywhere and not have to carry a bulky item.

Travel system. Even though I wasn't allowed to use my sling as often as I would like (the burdens of living with people that don't understand AP at all), the stroller part has gotten used maybe 6 time in two years. And those 6 times I was basically forced to use it.

pack n play. we bought one for the sitter to keep at her house and she got some use out of it (only for sleeping though), but the one that we bought for our house didn't get used at all. The Kid HATED that thing with the passion of a thousand suns

baby shoes. Unless you already have the baby in your hands, don't buy any of them. I had a bunch of shoes that I couldn't use from the getgo because The Kid's feet were as fat as they were long and he was already a size two when he was born. I still have to be careful with the shoes because of his fat feet, not all shoes fit him. He would take his socks off right away though, so he really needed to have some shoes on.

Those baby bottles that you drop the liner inside. especially if it's filled with mama milk. They never worked for us and would always leak. they say h*ll hath no fury like a woman scorned, try a mama watching her hard pumped milk spill.

a breast pump that's not hospital grade. They just don't do the job, if you're eligible for WIC, you can get a hospital grade pump as a loaner for the first year.
Dear Baby in my Belly, Please come out. Seriously. It's like a 100 degrees here, IN CANADA. Your dad has taken to calling me puffy. I get that you're a dude and the last thing you want to do is leave a place you're going to spend the rest of your life trying to get back into, but enough. Your room is really cool, come out and see it. Sincerely, Love Mummy
sourpatch_babe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2007, 11:02 AM   #24
jenn5388
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

There's so much stuff out there..

Depending on how your feeding the baby.. You'll either need bottles and formula or nipple lotion and some breast pads. lol

Diapers.. wipes.

something for the baby to wear.. some onesies..

a blanket or two.

something for the baby to sleep in.. if it's a crib.. STOCK UP ON THE SHEETS.
Matter of fact, if it's your bed, stock up on the sheets too. lol

Something for the baby to play with.. at first it was the swing around here, then it was the excersaucer, and i'm not ashamed to admit she lived in that thing it was her favorite toy. it also served as a highchair too until she was a year old. miranda only ever used the highchair at dinner time from the time she was a year old until she was 2. yeah, kind of a waste around here.

Oh and remember this.. Recieving blankets work the best as Burp rags. Don't go buy those tiny little Actual burk rags.. if you end up with a kid like mine and her Explovsive Puking sessions that shot up like a fountian. a little burp rag isn't going to do it, you need a freaking towel. lol

right off the top of my head things WE didn't need.

pack and play
baby monitor (and you really don't if you have a 1 story house/apt/etc, trust me, they can be heard.. they have thier own built in monitor lol)
a bouncer (face it, if you got a swing and all the other little things babies sit in what is the point of the bouncer? Miranda HATED the bouncer lol)
Anything that warms something.. A wipes warmer a bottle warmer.. all Wastes of money. babies have been doing fine with cold wipes and bottles that are warmed by sitting them under the hot tap. lol cloth wipes have the Advatange of being made wet at the moment, there for could be made to be warm with warm water.

and the last one we found no use for..

a changing table.

I never found that I would be comfortable putting my child on top of something that insteady and that shaky.. not to mention, there the fact you gotta go into a whole nother room to change a diaper.. No thanks. I can do it just fine on the floor or on the couch/bed thank you. I don't need a expendsive piece of furniture that will serve no other purpose, thanks.

I think that's about it.
jenn5388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2007, 11:10 AM   #25
mengmommy
Registered Users

My Mood:

We are pretty conservative in our parenting needs. Here is what we got:
*Onesies/shirts/sleepers (I'm never buying 0-3 month outfits again...even though my babies were both less than 7lbs and 19", it didn't take long for them to be too long/fat for them, and ds had MONSTER feet). I also don't like the fancy frilly stuff. I wouldn't be comfy in that stuff just laying around all snuggled up. Who wants to nap in their jeans? And I am also not buying back snapped (at the neck) shirts for the next baby...I didn't, but my mom bought a LOT of them for dd. I can't imagine laying on those.
*Socks (but ds never fit in the newborn socks LOL)
*Burp rags or dish towels...I kinda like dish towels better. I would fold them up and put them in my cami-bra thing at night.
*Nursing pads (with dd I made them).
*Carseat (with dd we just went with a convertable).
*Nail clippers.
*Aspirator.
*Q-tips (for their noses mostly).
*A medicine dropper (great for dropping a little breast milk into their noses-it works great for congestion).
*A firm foam wedge to sleep on in our bed (a little elevation also helps with congestion, and helps them need to burp less while nursing in bed, also helps with spitting up).
*Diapers/covers of your choice.
*A medium-large diaper bag to start with, a smaller one for quick trips.
*Receiving blankets (and they work great as flat diapers too! We just put an auto towel inside. Ds was swaddled for a few weeks, dd NEVER, not even immediately post birth, she was ready to stretch).
*A few heavy blankets (that way if baby throws up, pees, poops, etc, you have a spare).
*Somewhere safe to set baby while you shower when you are home alone, I don't like swings, so we used a bouncer.
*I also like a sleep positioner that you can lay baby on its side. NO flat heads at this house. We rotated nightly also to keep the sides from getting flat too. This also helps with spitting up (less likely to aspirate).
*Next time we're going to get a Baby Bjorn Little Potty so we can start EC sooner.
*Hamper (ours is a garbage can) for dirty diapers.
*Sling/carrier of some sort.
*Tylenol.
*Gas drops.
*Baby monitor-we still use it EVERY night and EVERY nap.
*Boppy. Not so much for nursing, but it was really nice to have to lay dd down on the floor right next to us.
*Electric breast pump (but I don't pump for our use, I donate, and I'd start sooner next time, I started at 7 months with dd and I never did with ds).
*Oh yeah, lanolin for your first nursling. I didn't need it with dd because ds was still nursing.

Um, I think thats it. No swing. No crib (and thus no crib goodies). No stroller. I wouldn't get a bathtub again, I'd just shower with baby like I did with ds. No bottles. No pacifier. No formula. No nursing bra either. I hate them. I just find one I can pull the cups down on.
Old 10-29-2007, 11:13 AM   #26
hippydippymama
Registered Users
seller

Things we never used:

-Crib
-Changing table
-Baby bathtub (okay, we used it ONCE!)
-Pack 'N Play
-Bassinette (I used this maybe five times till I figured out it was easier to just bring baby into bed with me!)
-Shoes smaller than 12M size (he wasn't walking until then, so why does he need shoes?)
-Those crappy "grooming" kits, the parts are all cheap and break really easy
-Baby towels/washcloths
-Wipes warmer (scrunching them in your hand warms them just fine)
-Bottle warmer (setting them in a pan of hot water works just as well)

Things we used and LOVED:

-Boppy!
-Swing
-Sling
-Stroller (when he outgrew the sling)
-Rocking chair
-Fan for white noise (it was hard for DS to sleep cuz we lived on a very busy street with trucks downshifting all the time)
-Recieving blankets for swaddling/burping/everything!
-Binkies
-Those infant T-shirts everyone has 20 bazillion of. We actually used ours almost every day! Just throw a shirt on with the cloth diaper and you're ready to go out!

There's probably more I could add to either category, but that's all I can think of right now.
hippydippymama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2007, 11:15 AM   #27
sbolen
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Wow!
Lots of response!
As you can see, most of it is personal preference.

First off, I would see if you can borrow or buy used the following because they don't use them too long:
1. bouncy seat
2. bumbo
3. swing
4. exersaucer

Things we Love
1. Dutalier Reclining Glider with Ottoman...yeah its pricey but worth every cent. We got ours with fabric to match our living room so we could keep it forever (if you get it to match your nursery....its useless after 2 years).
2. BrestFriend
3. Activity Mat
4. Medela PISA (if you plan to WOH)
5. Halo Sleep Sacks for when they no longer need to be swaddled (don't bother with them for first three or 4 months when they are still swaddled).
6. Mobile for crib when you need to set your kid down in a safe place and keep him/her entertained.

Things we dont' love
1. Boppy for nursing
2. Bottle Sterilizer (never used it)
3. One of those Angelcare monitors (never used it)
4. fluffy bumpers
5. Cute little clothes that have tiny tiny buttons in the back.....THINK PEOPLE! Do you really think a new sleep deprived mom wants to button those tiny little buttons up the back when your newborn, that hates to be on her stomach, is screaming????? Um...can you tell that MIL got me 5 of those?
Old 10-29-2007, 11:28 AM   #28
sourpatch_babe
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbolen View Post
Wow!
5. Cute little clothes that have tiny tiny buttons in the back.....THINK PEOPLE! Do you really think a new sleep deprived mom wants to button those tiny little buttons up the back when your newborn, that hates to be on her stomach, is screaming????? Um...can you tell that MIL got me 5 of those?
And don't forget those outfits that need to be ironed! I hated those! The iron alone was bigger than the piece I was trying to iron. I needed one of those child sized play irons to actually get in between all the folds and buttons of his outfits. And then you strap them on to the car seat and the whole thing gets wrinkled!

BTW, if any of you meet the MAN (cuz it sure wasn't a woman) who invented these; give him a swift kick in the groin for me pls.
Dear Baby in my Belly, Please come out. Seriously. It's like a 100 degrees here, IN CANADA. Your dad has taken to calling me puffy. I get that you're a dude and the last thing you want to do is leave a place you're going to spend the rest of your life trying to get back into, but enough. Your room is really cool, come out and see it. Sincerely, Love Mummy
sourpatch_babe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2007, 12:46 PM   #29
ginafer
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

And I love my Wipe Warmer. I just throw my baby wash clothes in there and some water and they are nice and warm for wiping baby bums. In the summer I unplug it! But another thing I found after having 3 is that I don't need a baby bath tub. Now days I just take a bath with my baby. They really don't need a bath everyday. It just dries out their skin. If DH is home he will come and get baby when we are done. If not, then I lay a towel outside of tub before hand and then when we are going to get out I lay baby out on it and wrap them up and then I get out too. My youngest didn't take a bath by himself until he was sitting. Then I just put him in the sink!
Joshua 24:15
Ginafer: wife to 1 wonderful husband and mother of 5 gorgeous boys!
ginafer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2007, 12:58 PM   #30
Fawn
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Things to skip.......
  • Diaper hanger thingy (who has time to refill that stupid thing?)
  • baby towels- no reason you can't use a regular towel
  • newborn outfits that snap or button in the back-who can hold a floppy baby up while snapping/buttoning?!
    Also, any outfit, for that matter, with excessive or complicated snaps through the crotch/leg area-so frustrating to do when baby is crying
Fawn is offline   Reply With Quote