View Poll Results: Can a baby be spoiled by being held too much? (Please read thread)
YES 11 7.97%
NO 121 87.68%
OTHER (PLEASE EXPLAIN) 6 4.35%
Voters: 138. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-28-2007, 08:19 PM   #1
I Smile Because Of Them
Registered Users
seller

Location: I'm only passing through here as my real home is in Heaven!
My Mood:
Do you think a baby can be spoiled?

I'm at my wits end! DS will not stop crying. He's not happy unless he's being held by me. I'm the only one that can hold him. If he sees me handing him to DH he starts crying so much. The second that I put him down he's screaming. I don't know what to so anymore. I've never been one to let a baby CIO but I don't know what else to do. I'm going to go crazy. I'm not getting any sleep because he's nursing all day and night. I'm literally nursing every 30 minutes sometimes sooner. At night it's pretty much all night. I think he's just comfort nursing. I'm starting to feel like a human pacifier!!!

Advertisement

Old 10-28-2007, 08:24 PM   #2
togg_mama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Do you think a baby can be spoiled?

Two things come to mind:

1. Over-tired
2. Growth Spurt

Oh wait, I have a third: separation anxiety

For the first, you have to break the exhaustion cycle.

For the second, keep feeding and he'll be better in a few days.

For the third, maybe get a carrier?

((HUGS))
togg_mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2007, 08:26 PM   #3
kimsclothkids
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I think that as babies grow, they can become somewhat spoiled being carried all the time. My nephew is kindof like that. He is so mad if we even try to sit with him and he is 7 months old. He wants to be walked around everywhere or he will just scream.
WOHM to NoahJacoband MeganLoving wife to my #1 man, Aaron I have a one of a kind family and a one of a kind life and I'm loving every minute of it!
kimsclothkids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2007, 08:30 PM   #4
I Smile Because Of Them
Registered Users
seller

Location: I'm only passing through here as my real home is in Heaven!
My Mood:

I've tried a carrier. I always have him in a wrap but he gets tired of being in there or just wants me to be walking him around.
Old 10-28-2007, 08:35 PM   #5
House of Blue
Registered Users
seller

I carried all 4 of my children as infants all the time (wore all of them). Co-slept with them, never once let one of them CIO for anything. None of my children are overly needy, all of them sleep in their own bed now, bed time is EASY (1 book and lights out), they all can play independently or with other children really well. But they all came to this point at their own rates and each had different degrees of being needy or clingy. My 1st and my last took a lot out of me (my 1st screamed his first 18 months of his life away no matter what I did, last was VERY attached to me and nursed round the clock and especially liked to keep a boob in his mouth all night long). There were times where I didn't think I was going to be able to keep things up but I manged to get through it all with my sanity in tact. But I will say, it was all worth it in the end, infancy is SUCH a short time in the grand scheme of a person's life, they will only need their mom like this for such a fleeting moment in time... Take advantage of it when you can but if it's stressing you out and making it difficult to be the best mom you can be, maybe it's time to try new things
House of Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2007, 08:36 PM   #6
connorsmama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

my ds is the same way. he loves to be held. There are times during the day, which have now become more frequent, that he loves to play and expore all his toys. but if i leave the room... god forbid. he freaks as if im leaving him forever. I just keep happy music playing, and teach him that its ok, im still here, just keep playing or doin what your doin! He has become less dependent on me holding him all the time, but when it comes to wanting to be held... its always mama!!
Korin mommy to connor 1/11/07 and Addison 11/15/10 due with baby #3 11/10/15
wahm behind Shizz Knitz
connorsmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2007, 08:44 PM   #7
JustAugust
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Can a baby be spoiled?... I do think it's possible.

Is your son acting like he does because he's spoiled? Absolutely not. Mine went through the same thing. I think lots of babies do. All I can say is do what you're doing and do what he needs you to. I did eventually start teaching my son he would be okay sitting BESIDE me to play instead on on my lap. He fussed, but I was right next to him loving on him. When he was okay, I'd sit a little further, then further, then I'd do dishes while he played in the floor a little ways away. All in good time though. Your son is only 5ish months old, right? That's still too little for that.

I will tell you, I believe my son is now fiercely independant because I responded to his needs in the beginning. Now, I could almost drop him off with a room full of strangers as long as there were toys there and he couldn't care less. He wants to play and couldn't care less if I leave. He does awesome in church class and nursery time, mother's day out, staying with friends of ours, etc.

ETA: If you are feeling at your limit, then make some changes. Nurse him every 1-3 hours (whenever you think he NEEDS to eat and it's not just a comfort thing), tell DH you need a couple hour break and leave the house. Go get a coffee, go read a book, etc. Somewhere quiet that you can just sit and relax for a little bit. Even if Gage screams for 2 hours with DH, it's okay. It doesn't happen often and to be a good mom, you have to have your break too. You're not going to be a good mom if you're at your breaking point.

Last edited by JustAugust; 10-28-2007 at 08:46 PM.
JustAugust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2007, 08:46 PM   #8
Psychomom
Formerly: Boomer
seller

My Mood:

If you are talking about your baby born last May, my vote is NO!
Old 10-28-2007, 08:46 PM   #9
SMKelley
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

To answer your question...YES, babies ABSOLUTELY can be spoiled.

However, if you are going to spoil anything it should be a baby! I can almost guarantee that in a couple months you are going to miss your clingly little one!! Good luck.
SMKelley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2007, 08:48 PM   #10
Psychomom
Formerly: Boomer
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiffer23 View Post
I will tell you, I believe my son is now fiercely independant because I responded to his needs in the beginning. Now, I could almost drop him off with a room full of strangers as long as there were toys there and he couldn't care less. He wants to play and couldn't care less if I leave. He does awesome in church class and nursery time, mother's day out, staying with friends of ours, etc.
Same here! My 5 year old and 2 year old are *very* independent, but when they were babies you would have never known they'd turn out to be so! They were the clingiest, neediest babies but now they are independent.