View Poll Results: Can a baby be spoiled by being held too much? (Please read thread)
YES 11 7.97%
NO 121 87.68%
OTHER (PLEASE EXPLAIN) 6 4.35%
Voters: 138. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-28-2007, 08:54 PM   #11
I Smile Because Of Them
Registered Users
seller

Location: I'm only passing through here as my real home is in Heaven!
My Mood:
Re: Do you think a baby can be spoiled?

Yes he's just turning 5 months on the 30th. He's just always crying unless he's in my arms. I know there's nothing wrong with him. He's fed, changed, I strip him down to make sure nothings poking at him. I just don't know why he's like that. I mean I carried my DD everywhere. I went to her the moment I heard any little wimper and she was never like this. I also tend to his every need but for some reason he's super attached to me. I don't think that he can be spoiled but it's just that everyone is telling me that it's because he's carried to much in my wrap and that I need to let him CIO.

Advertisement

Old 10-28-2007, 08:58 PM   #12
lilyfish
Registered Users
seller

Look, honey. While I don't feel that a baby can be spoiled, per se, please let me say this: YOUR BABY WILL SURVIVE IF YOU LET HIM CIO. Sometimes we need to let our babies be frustrated for the sake of our OWN sanity. I've been a single mom, and my son's crying really, really upsets me--I've been there. Sometimes you just need to put the baby down somewhere safe, and go on the balcony or in the front yard where you cannot hear his/her cries.

I agree with the pp's assertion that this is overexhaustion, a growth spurt, the onset of separation anxiety, or any number of other issues. Maybe some gas, maybe a little cold. Have you tried wearing him? When Jed was going through the separation anxiety thing, I often wore him to get things done. Even then, you can't wear him ALL of the time. You need YOU time--don't be afraid to get it.

Don't guilt yourself into thinking you're a bad mommy if you let your son cry once in awhile. He will be okay; you need to make sure that YOU'RE okay, first and foremost.

~ emma goldman
lilyfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2007, 09:05 PM   #13
MamaBetsy
Registered Users
seller

Some babies are just needier than others. It can be very frustrating.
Check out the ole FSOT
MamaBetsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2007, 09:09 PM   #14
3girlymom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

He is only 5 months old.

Three words come to mind...and are VERY typical...

#1. Teething
#2 & #3. Growth Spurt

Teething can go on for months before the first teeth erupt...like 4-5 months or more. He is also of age for a growth spurt, and that time frame with nursing can last a few weeks.

Have ya tried Hylands teething tablets to see if that soothes anything.

Hang in there mama. He's too little to let him CIO. Once you stop stressing, it will make a huge difference. If you can find a way for this not to upset or bother you, you'll be able to cope much better and so will baby.

I do not agree that babies can be spoiled. They cry for a reason when they are that little, for a need that needs to be met. And, typically, it's just mama who can fill that need.

Last edited by 3girlymom; 10-28-2007 at 09:11 PM.
3girlymom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2007, 09:14 PM   #15
crittercrazy3
Registered Users
seller

yes and no.

not until they KNOW for sure what manipulation is. better said, when they figure out that crying WILL get them attention that otherwise they wouldn't be getting at that moment. maybe like at....idk 1 year old? something like that.
crittercrazy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2007, 09:15 PM   #16
I Smile Because Of Them
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I can't bring myself to let him CIO. It breaks my heart to him him crying and not being able to do anything about it. He already has his teeth so could it still be teething? I guess I'm just not used to this since my daughter was never like this. I guess this is all new to me.
Old 10-28-2007, 09:22 PM   #17
southernbell
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by gegesmommy View Post
I'm at my wits end! DS will not stop crying. He's not happy unless he's being held by me. I'm the only one that can hold him. If he sees me handing him to DH he starts crying so much. The second that I put him down he's screaming. I don't know what to so anymore. I've never been one to let a baby CIO but I don't know what else to do. I'm going to go crazy. I'm not getting any sleep because he's nursing all day and night. I'm literally nursing every 30 minutes sometimes sooner. At night it's pretty much all night. I think he's just comfort nursing. I'm starting to feel like a human pacifier!!!
i am a human paci too!!!! your story sounds just like me, i am visiting my family right now and my sister wanted me to color her hair, the whole time my dd cried, and my parents acted like they were mad at me about it!!! they said she was spoiled and that i nurse her too much, they even said " what if something happens to you, nobody is gonna be able to take care of her" i just ignored them. it gets frustrating, dd sleeps with my boob in her mouth, if it slips out in her sleep she starts frantically looking for it!!!!
southernbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2007, 09:24 PM   #18
southernbell
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

oh wow not only does your little one sound just like mine, my dd is 2 days older than yours
southernbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2007, 09:29 PM   #19
For The Love Of Cloth
Registered Users
Formerly: tmolly
seller
seller

My Mood:

Has he always been like this or has something changed? I think 5-6 months is a big milestone as far as separation anxiety goes. You might want to check out the No Cry Sleep Solution. It has some good ideas. Also make sure he doesn't have an ear infection, reflex or something like that. Even a trip to the Chiropractor couldn't hurt.

My ds#1 was very high needs. Right around 5-7 months were very hard. He wanted me to pace with him half the night to fall asleep. While I never did CIO with him, I did have him cry it out in bed with me. It just came to the point where our family wasn't functioning any more. It seems like then he would sleep slightly more "normal" but he's never been a sleeper. My ds #2 was totally different, right from the beginning...
Old 10-28-2007, 09:31 PM   #20
I Smile Because Of Them
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Tell me about it. I have my boob suckeds on all night long!!!!! And you reminded me, I just came back from San Diego yesterday. Well my brother just got out of bootcamp. Well after his graduation we were all starving and looking for an In N Out because that's what my brother wanted. Well while we were in the car DS was screaming his lungs off. Screaming as if someone was torturing him. I coulnd't do anything to get him quiet. Well my brother being the hot head that he is started yelling for me to "shut that kid up". He was screaming at my 5 month old. I was so hurt and started crying because I traveled all the way over there to be with him at his graduation when I haven't seen him for over a year and he never even had seen my DS and the first thing he says to him is "Shut the Hell up". I was soooooo hurt!!