Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-28-2007, 09:45 PM   #1
L J
Gazelle Intense
seller
seller

When do you give your kids toys?

I am thinking about toys a lot lately, huh?

What I am wondering is, do you buy your kids toys randomly, just because, or do you only give presents on holidays? Or something totally different?

Advertisement

L J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2007, 09:48 PM   #2
foodie.yarnie.mommie.
Registered Users
Formerly: dimibella
seller

My Mood:
Re: When do you give your kids toys?

Well I think we are pretty bad about "spoiling" our kids, they totally get toys randomly all the time, and not just from us, the grandparents and aunts and uncles are suckers too.
Old 10-28-2007, 09:48 PM   #3
frogandtoad
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I stopped buying toys a few years back. Honestly, they get so much *junk* for birthdays, Christmas, etc. from my parents and whatever that I just don't even bother. I buy books. Plus, I provide them with a loving home. Toys are over-rated if you ask me ... jmo
There are only two lasting bequests we hope to give our children; one is roots, the other wings.
frogandtoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2007, 10:51 PM   #4
ClothDiaperingMama
Registered Users
seller

When we only had one.. she got toys whenever. She was the only grandchild so you can imagine how much junk she got. We then decided to ONLY buy toys for Christmas. So once a year, Santa brought them WHATEVER they wanted. {Well.. it was only once a year and that helped Mommy not feel so guilty about not buying for Bdays, etc}.

Now the girls are teens, so toys aren't an issue. We buy Gage toys whenever. We may go back to once a year {Christmas} but we haven't discussed it so not sure. I keep finding cute little toys for him and "I" think he needs them.

I guess I didn't help or answer the question definitely huh? Sorry!
Old 10-29-2007, 06:08 AM   #5
jls~Kain~Drake
Registered Users

My Mood:

Right now, we get toys whenever. BUT....we're going to be changing that. I'm trying not to buy things because they've come to EXPECT something whenever we're out.
Old 10-29-2007, 06:40 AM   #6
sourpatch_babe
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Since we don't celebrate christmas or birthdays, we do buy things at random times. It's been more frequent lately because I've gotten rid of all his plastic toys and am in the process of switching to all natural/wood toys.
Dear Baby in my Belly, Please come out. Seriously. It's like a 100 degrees here, IN CANADA. Your dad has taken to calling me puffy. I get that you're a dude and the last thing you want to do is leave a place you're going to spend the rest of your life trying to get back into, but enough. Your room is really cool, come out and see it. Sincerely, Love Mummy
sourpatch_babe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2007, 06:41 AM   #7
sourpatch_babe
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Forgot to add, we'll be implementing a rule soon where they can only have 10 toys at a time. If they get a new toy then they have to give one away. That way the house isn't clustered with toys, they learn about charity, and we'll be assured that the toys they do have are being played with.
Dear Baby in my Belly, Please come out. Seriously. It's like a 100 degrees here, IN CANADA. Your dad has taken to calling me puffy. I get that you're a dude and the last thing you want to do is leave a place you're going to spend the rest of your life trying to get back into, but enough. Your room is really cool, come out and see it. Sincerely, Love Mummy
sourpatch_babe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2007, 07:48 AM   #8
Rhianna'sMommy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

We had been buying dd#1 toys whenever we thought she deserved a treat. To help with behavour issues lately we have a small jar we're filling with noodles when she does what we're wanting her to do. When the jar is full she gets a treat (book, toy or DVD). So now she basically has to earn her toys or it needs to be a holiday for the most part. Occationally she might get a 'just cause' gift but it won't be often.
Rhianna'sMommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2007, 09:51 AM   #9
mandalynnne
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Reilly pretty much only gets toys for his bday and Christmas. Sometimes, if he's been especially good or he's been under the weather, he'll get a $5 car or something from Target. That's not very often though. Finn has 2 new toys that I've bought him since he's been born. He's got all of Reilly's old toys (not that he at all knows the difference).

WAHM behind TMD

ISO nothing! My girl is mostly pl'ed!
mandalynnne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2007, 09:54 AM   #10
ferrferr
Banned
seller

My Mood:

Randomly. Because I'm a sucker like that. DD#1 just got a M&D train the second time she pooped in the potty. The first time she got ice cream for the second time in her life.
ferrferr is offline   Reply With Quote