Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-29-2007, 10:14 AM   #11
laj
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: When do you give your kids toys?

Hmmm... Our guys have gotten most of their toys for their birthday or Christmas, but it wasn't intentional. They just turned 2 and I find that they still don't really play with their toys all that much, so I don't feel the need to buy them things just because, but if I saw something that I thought they'd truly like, I'd buy it. They love being outside, so that's where they do most of their playing. They have a swingset, a slide, a little basketball net, some balls, a sandbox, some shovels, rakes, pails etc that we bought at the beginning of the summer, but most of their indoor toys were gifts. They're happy just running around outside, or "reading" and building towers inside. I'm sure it'll change the older they get though...

Advertisement

Old 10-29-2007, 11:18 AM   #12
1happymama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

We do randomly give the children gifts but not very often and it's usually more like a yardsale book than a toy. From us they only get one thing at Christmas and one or two things for their birthday...again though, not always necessarily "toys".
1happymama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2007, 12:07 PM   #13
Jewelgurl137
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I'm bad and buy toys for my kids too often. I just recently quit this though, cuz my kids had enough toys to fill up a KBtoys I think. We are now going through the toys and selling large groups of them for next to nothing. We are making a new rule where if we want to buy our kids something at random that we will buy something more practical like a dish set (DD loves these), a treat (like going out to ice cream), and etc., unless my DH really really wants to get a specific toy for DD or DS.
Old 10-29-2007, 02:13 PM   #14
kaspears17
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

We are awful...we buy our boys something probably once a month. At least something , new action figure, new game, new something. DS#2 probably has 10 different spidermans, that are all the same. but he plays with all of them too. They also can buy their own toys with thier money they earn for good grades, chores, doing something extra like watching ramses so mom can shower, etc. so yah, they get new toys all the time.
Old 10-29-2007, 02:49 PM   #15
doberbrat
Registered Users
seller

Both. (helpful huh??)

If Im at a kid resaller and I see something I think it good for her, shed enjoy and is at a reasonable cost, I buy it. I almost never give it to her on the spot (I did hand her a small $6 Elmo once) but will bring it out later.

Books I give whenever I buy them. (Im a sucker for books) larger toys/gifts are saved for an occasion. AND, we limit what family buys. For instance, my mom just came for her bday. She wasnt allowed to bring her 10 things. I will let her give her a slightly larger doll gift at Thanksgiving b/c she wont be with us for Christmas an I know she enjoys watching dd open the gifts.

But, generally, I dont walk down the Target isle and start buying toys.
Mamma to the best dd 10/05 and Expecting #2 edd 11/29/09 and 2 furkids!
doberbrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2007, 02:55 PM   #16
havanadaydreamin
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Delaney gets toys whenever.. she is completely spoiled. Not big toys though.. More like a book, video, stuffed animal.. that type of thing.

Not big playsets or things liek that
Old 10-29-2007, 05:12 PM   #17
AmandaMacK
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Mostly for holidays and bdays, unless I see a good deal. I am prone to going to the clearance section of places for stuff lol.
Old 10-29-2007, 05:20 PM   #18
ShannaMarie
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Define "toys".

Noah got a Ninja Turtle "costume" a few weeks ago when we got home from Costco. DH cut arm holes and a big hole for legs out of the box we brought our groceries home in. We need to paper mache it and paint it, then it'll be the coolest "toy" in his collection. Hee.

Our kids rarely get toys. Even on holidays. This year for Christmas from us, they're each getting SuperflyKidz capes and masks from Etsy, some wooden trucks/trains/cars, and a few books.

They tend to create their own fun and use their imaginations more now that we've purged all the MIC junk from our home, too.
Old 10-29-2007, 05:27 PM   #19
Jonesy
SHWING!
seller

My Mood:

Our boys get toys whenever. But we have an odd situation. DH works for a toy company so toys come home all the time...prototypes, samples, extra's, etc...we have some toys at our house that never even make it to market...hehe (which is too bad 'cause some of them are REALLY cool!!!)
So when we DO actually BUY something we usually buy books...or videos like Veggie Tales(the only thing he'll sit still for to watch...which is fine by me)...my 3y/o is hooked!
Old 10-29-2007, 05:38 PM   #20
I Smile Because Of Them
Registered Users
seller

Location: I'm only passing through here as my real home is in Heaven!
My Mood:

We bought DD toys all the time. We could never leave the store without buying her something. Not because she would scream or cry for something because she wouldn't even care but I always liked something and wanted her to have it. Now that she's a little bit older she has a piggy bank. Whenever we have extra change we always give it to her and let her save her money. Whenever we sell something that belonged to her such as clothes or toys or whatever it goes in her piggy bank. So now we take her to the store to cash her piggy bank money in and she gets to buy whatever she wants. We still buy her things but she also buys herself some things. Well sort of. We actually just cleared out her piggybank and she had $60 in there. She bought a Princess Teaset, Candyland, a princess puzzle and a bunch of little things here and there.