Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-29-2007, 01:47 PM   #1
AKM
Registered Users

No naps at 21 months?

I'm starting to get frustrated with my 21m/o DS not taking a nap. He used to be a real good napper, usually around 2 hrs everyday and now he hasn't taken a nap at all for a week. I still put him in his crib after lunch hoping that he will and then end up going up to take him out usually 2 hrs later. Should I stop even trying? He sleeps around 11hrs at night, but he gets dark circles under his eyes in the afternoon, looking like he needs sleep, but won't nap.

Anyone had this happen too? Any advice?

Thanks,

Advertisement

AKM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2007, 01:51 PM   #2
ClothDiaperingMama
Registered Users
seller

Re: No naps at 21 months?

My ds has stopped taking naps completely too. He will fall asleep in the car seat if we are out and had a busy day. If we just stay around the house.. he never naps now. He does go to bed early and sleeps through the night. I guess he just doesn't need naps unless we are "busy" and he gets worn out. Maybe your ds is the same?
Old 10-29-2007, 05:23 PM   #3
AKM
Registered Users

I guess I need to keep him more active! We go to storytime and playgroup, but apparently he just doesn't need the rest. At least he's not quite as grouchy as he used to be without naps, but by the end of the day, he looks pretty tired. Should I keep putting him in his crib to encourage napping or give up on it entirely?
AKM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2007, 05:40 PM   #4
ClothDiaperingMama
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKM View Post
I guess I need to keep him more active! We go to storytime and playgroup, but apparently he just doesn't need the rest. At least he's not quite as grouchy as he used to be without naps, but by the end of the day, he looks pretty tired. Should I keep putting him in his crib to encourage napping or give up on it entirely?
It is up to you. I gave up trying entirely because it was more frustrating to me than anything. If I know he needs a nap then I try to 'encourage' him to nap. Otherwise I just let him go until bed time.

Good Luck! Keep us posted okay?
Old 10-29-2007, 07:41 PM   #5
Bug-a-boo's mom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Smile Re: No naps at 21 months?

As long as we are at home at nap time (or around nap time) K goes into his crib. He doesn't always sleep, but I leave him in there for about an hour and a half (if he isn't sleeping). He isn't crying or upset. Just talking away. I look at it this way, he is resting (somewhat) and I get to have some time to do whatever.

Old 10-29-2007, 07:46 PM   #6
mollies73
Registered Users

I had this problem with my daughter at 8 months! I took her to the doctor thinking there was something wrong with her. The doctor just said she didn't need as much sleep and it was perfectly normal for some kids. I would put her in her crib with books and quiet toys for about an hour a day for "quiet time." This worked out great until she she was a little older and decided to poop every day at that time and pull off her clothes and wipe it on the walls. I was so upset. This is when I decided that we didn't need to have quiet time anymore.
Old 10-29-2007, 10:25 PM   #7
PalmyraMom
Registered Users

My Mood:

I'm going through the same thing!! My daughter is a bit older, but she gave up naps this summer (when she was about 28 months). My thing is, her behavior seems to have gone downhill with her naps! I'm guessing there is a connection but... what to do?!?

No crib, she has a bed, we used to do "quiet time" in her room but I got out of the habit when baby came (gee, wonder why?!?!)... I'll keep an eye on this thread for suggestions!!
PalmyraMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007, 09:36 AM   #8
michiko
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

My daughter gave up naps about a month or so ago (she just turned 2). What I mean is she gave up formal naps, me taking her to her room and laying her down etc... She will take cat naps if we end up going somewhere (falls asleep in the car) or if she is really that tired she will end up crashing on the floor for awhile. But the second I try to move her into her room all is lost. She does just fine without them and sleeps awesome at night.

Last edited by michiko; 10-30-2007 at 09:37 AM. Reason: added her age :)
michiko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007, 01:41 PM   #9
divapoppins
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

only time i have any luck is if i put something really boring on tv and it might bore him to sleep LOL
Old 10-30-2007, 03:47 PM   #10
onelil2lil3lilpiglets
Banned
seller

My Mood:

my ds is 30 months and still takes 2-3hr naps i just lay down with him and it takes 15min max before he's out and then i sneak off
onelil2lil3lilpiglets is offline   Reply With Quote