Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-30-2007, 07:55 AM   #1
Terra
Drinks her not-just-a-smoothie pina coladas in ALL CAPS in front of her preschoolers before she takes her CDs and goes home.
seller

My Mood:
Child-led pacifier weaning??

My son will be a year old in 2 weeks. And I would really like for the paci to be gone soon!

But I'm not for taking it away cold turkey if it's going to result in CIO and distress.

Do any of you experienced mamas have any advice or input on how you have broken the paci habit?

I'm not for putting anything on the paci at all. Someone once suggested vinegar to me and I thought that was so cruel.

I did try cutting the tip off the paci that just made him mad and he cried. And again I won't just let him cry himself to sleep.

Now a couple of weeks ago I did the No Cry Sleep Solution to get him to take naps on his own. So I could get things done around the house! It worked like a charm. He was going to sleep on his own in his pack n play while I cleaned with NO crying!! IT was awesome!

So any tips for me mama??
Or will they truly give it up when they are ready. I really don't want a 2 year old though sucking on a paci.

Advertisement

Terra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007, 08:12 AM   #2
tracyb928
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Child-led pacifier weaning??

I'd love to know too...we have a paci-addicted baby as well
www.twomommasdesigns.com www.hyenacart.com/queencitymamas/
tracyb928 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007, 08:14 AM   #3
Manna00
Pinchin' pennies 'til they scream
sitesupporter
seller

My Mood:

DS is 15 months and is nursed to sleep, so I pop the paci in to free me up--but that's the only time he uses it--it's spit out within minutes.

I'd love to know how to get rid of it completely too.
Manna00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007, 08:16 AM   #4
EvansMomma
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Our lil guy is 21 months and still has his soother (paci). I'm not going to take it away cold turkey, but I think that it's starting to affect his speech development. So, what we're doing is something VERY gradual. His soother is really the only "comfort object" that he has, so I am not going to just rip it away from him at some arbitrary time that I decide he's gotta lose it, KWIM?

Anyway, we've started just putting the soother up somewhere out of his sight once he's up for the day. If he's goin through something where he needs that extra bit of security, I take it down and give it to him and then put it away again when he's not 'needing' it anymore. He still gets it before his nap and at bedtime. We've actually had a couple of days in a row where he ONLY uses it for sleeping, and that's a HUGE improvement. But then we still have days where he wants it all day, and that's okay too.

Little by little, we see him needing it less and I guess that's good. But as long as he really needs his security item, he can have it. I'm not going to make him scream and be miserable for osmething that's just not worth that hassle.
Old 10-30-2007, 08:19 AM   #5
mom2twoboys
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

With my first son he had the paci until about 15 months then we started taking it away just during the day, and he was fine so we started at nap time and he did alright, he did fuss here and there but the toughest part was night time and it took about 2 weeks to get him paci free and night and yes there were a few nights that we had to let him cio but it wasnt that long, im the kinda of mama that can only listen to them cry for about 5 mins before i go in there and snuggle them anyway it was a tough few weeks but he did get over the paci..
i guess im lucky this time around as ds#2 wont take the paci at all, but he still like a night time bottle at 12 months

good luck mama
mom2twoboys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007, 08:25 AM   #6
Mirasmom
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Honestly- my dd never would take a paci so I don't have this issue- but from friends- I really don't think there's a single way to take it away without crying. Maybe when they're 6 and going to school and old enough to reason with, but not before that. They're going to cry. Sorry...
athlete wife to B and Mama to M 11.06 G 03.08 S 05.11 ^#4^
Cautiously expecting #5
www.littlesmithsgrowingup.blogspot.com
Mirasmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007, 08:28 AM   #7
navars2
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My DS is 25 months old and we long ago took the paci away for 99% of daytime use. He only gets it for naps and night time now. He really didn't seem to notice the lack of daytime other then if he sees it, he asks for it. In the morning, he knows to put it in his bed before he gets up. At some point, I'll wean him from night time use but I'm not worried about it yet.

http://hyenacart.com/knitsNbits/index.php
Featuring handknits, handsewn/smocked baby clothes, and much more!
Check out my Handspun yarns for sale NOW at The Serenity Tree Congo
navars2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007, 08:42 AM   #8
Terra
Drinks her not-just-a-smoothie pina coladas in ALL CAPS in front of her preschoolers before she takes her CDs and goes home.
seller

My Mood:

I AM lucky in that he only takes it at naptimes [2x a day] and bedtime and he spits it out just after dozing off!]

I don't mind a little fussing. I'll stand there and pat his back or rock him to let him know that I'm still there. It's the leaving him alone in his crib to cry without it that bothers me too...

It's his only comfort item as well.
I wouldn't even mind so much if he would suck his thumb to soothe. At night is when he'll wake me up trying to find it [we co sleep]. but again, it comes back out as soon as he dozes back off....lol
Terra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007, 08:44 AM   #9
Mirasmom
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Have you tried introducing another comfort item like a blanket or something- then if he gets attached to both you can take one away but he'd still have the other?? Just a thought.
athlete wife to B and Mama to M 11.06 G 03.08 S 05.11 ^#4^
Cautiously expecting #5
www.littlesmithsgrowingup.blogspot.com
Mirasmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007, 09:08 AM   #10
3rockstars
Registered Users
Formerly: FaeryGnomeHome
seller

My daughter will be 3 in Jan and she still has her "bucky." She is only allowed a bucky when she goes to sleep. Naptime and bedtime. I tried intro'ing other attachment items but she couldn't care less. She pitches a fit when we tell her "no bucky right now, wait until you go to bed." And then she begs to go to sleep. She even goes so far as to sneak into the closet where I keep the diaper bag to steal her bucky. I don't know how to gently wean from it, but I can tell you that child-led paci weaning didnt' work for us so far.