Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-30-2007, 09:19 AM   #11
Rhianna'sMommy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Child-led pacifier weaning??

DD#1 is almost 3 and only uses her binky at naptime and bedtime and really barely sucks on it anymore. Around her birthday we're going to talk about giving her binky to the binky fairly for new babies to use. And the binky fairly will leave her a prize. It will probably take her a couple of weeks to get used to the idea before she'll hand over the binky but when she does it she'll be fine. She doesn't reach for it in the middle of the night at all anymore.

Advertisement

Rhianna'sMommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007, 09:20 AM   #12
TNEarthMama
Registered Users
Formerly: taranbabyjayden
seller

My Mood:

I'd just let them stop when they stop.. They eventually grow out of it. or take up thumb sucking.
TNEarthMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007, 09:22 AM   #13
png_lovebirds
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Well, my son was 2.5 when we were finally able to wean him off his paci!!
This is what finally worked!

We cut a small bit off the tip of the paci...and then we filled the paci with cinamin! SO, each time he sucked he would get a taste of cinamon...which isn't sooo tasty without sugar!! We did this over and over...each time he asked for his paci! He would cry and say "Paci broken"! Eventually he fell asleep one night WITHOUT it in his mouth!!! Which was the very FIRST time he had ever done that! So, we took it away and put it on the kitchen table....later that day we found the paci in the dogs mouth....the tip was gone!!! LOL!!!! And that was the end of the paci....it was kinda nice not being able to change our mind!!! We refused go out and buy another!
png_lovebirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007, 09:24 AM   #14
Terra
Drinks her not-just-a-smoothie pina coladas in ALL CAPS in front of her preschoolers before she takes her CDs and goes home.
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhianna'sMommy View Post
DD#1 is almost 3 and only uses her binky at naptime and bedtime and really barely sucks on it anymore. Around her birthday we're going to talk about giving her binky to the binky fairly for new babies to use. And the binky fairly will leave her a prize. It will probably take her a couple of weeks to get used to the idea before she'll hand over the binky but when she does it she'll be fine. She doesn't reach for it in the middle of the night at all anymore.
I like this idea. I always have ever since I first heard about it. This is what we may do if it takes longer for him to give it up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by taranbabyjayden View Post
I'd just let them stop when they stop.. They eventually grow out of it. or take up thumb sucking.
I think I'm realizing this...lol....

I mean I try to tell myself "you know I have a favorite pillow and I would hate if someone just took it away"...lol
Old 10-30-2007, 09:25 AM   #15
isis0821
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terra View Post

Now a couple of weeks ago I did the No Cry Sleep Solution to get him to take naps on his own. So I could get things done around the house! It worked like a charm. He was going to sleep on his own in his pack n play while I cleaned with NO crying!! IT was awesome!
Did you try the Pantley Pull-off? We just got the NCSS, because I'm dealing with DS waking every 2 hours. I think it's because he wakes when the paci falls out, so I'm hoping that when he's old enough to put it back in himself that his (and our) sleep will improve.
isis0821 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007, 09:30 AM   #16
Mommy2LivandNoah
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Sorry no advice here...My almost 3 year old kicked the habit at 2 when we gradually cut off the nipple. We just barely snipped it the first time and every few days we cut off more, we got to a point where she said they were "yucky"..and threw a couple away. She kept one to just hold at night and had that for a few more months and then it went "missing" and she hasn't asked for one since.

My 8 month old is still using a paci at sleepy times and when he's upset during the day.
Old 10-30-2007, 09:46 AM   #17
urchin_grey
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

DS is 2 1/2 and still uses it sometimes to fall asleep, but that's its. I made the "pacer" off limits anywhere but the bed a long time ago (probably when he was around 15m) and he was fine with it. He didn't really need it during the day anyway because I'd rather him come to me for comfort if he needs it. At night though, he cannot be rocked to sleep or anything like that - he needs to just lay down and be left alone. So the pacer helps when he's having a hard time falling asleep.
urchin_grey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007, 10:06 AM   #18
massbb2
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

DS #1 was a paci user. We gently weaned him from it at 2.9 years. DS #2 nursed until 26 months. I guided them in the direction of weaning slowly and the same way. I first limited the use of the paci/breast to nap and bed time. You may want to keep the paci on the bed or crib so it isn't used anywhere else.

Your dc is still pretty young. Follow his lead. You'll know when he's ready.

Brenda
massbb2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007, 10:55 AM   #19
mgl
Registered Users
seller
seller

Ds was easy to wean from the binky. He only used it for nap and bedtime (and if he was really upset about something) from about 13 months. At 18 months we told him he was a big boy, and didn't need it anymore. He asked for it a fe times but never really fussed about it. Dd is another matter entirely. She is only allowed to have it in bed, but wants it all the time. She is now 26 months. She has the thing in her mouth almost all night, where ds only used it to fall asleep and then he would drop it. I am okay with her having it as long as it stays in her bed.
Old 10-30-2007, 11:15 AM   #20
dlangeweg
Registered Users
seller

Dd is 18mos and a dedicated paci lover, lol. We have taken it away during the day with no problems, as she is really busy and chatty, so she doesn't notice the loss. At nap and night time though, she gets them. We tried taking them away, but like you mentioned, I hate CIO, and it's not worth the distress. Plus, we noticed she would suck her fingers or thumb during that time, so she was just trading one for the other. So I would suggest going slowly and lessening the time during the day and see how that goes.
dlangeweg is offline   Reply With Quote