Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-30-2007, 09:26 AM   #1
Mirasmom
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Switching from bottle to sippy

AH! DD is awful! I took away her bottle yesterday and am switching to a sippy. I'm doing it at 11 most mostly because I want her to be TOTALLY done when the new babe comes in 4 mos. SO- she refuses. I have 6 diff kinds because I'm trying to find ONE she'll take. She'll drink OK out of them without the no spill valves, but then she wants to carry them around and milk is pooling on my floor, plus the milk comes out faster than her bottle so she gets choked. She CAN drink out of them with the valve, but when she does she takes a couple of drinks and then looks at me and screams- ok I've TRIED it and I know it isn't any harder than her bottle is and with new carpet- I really need to keep the valve in there since she really "can" do it. I feel like I HAVE to do it now- I've already started so why start over later, kwim? HELP!
Oh I forgot to mention that a month or two ago I got the bright idea of replacing one bottle a week with a sippy to gradually do this- she would have NOTHING of it and my dr told me that some kids just need all or nothing or they won't do it at all.

Advertisement

athlete wife to B and Mama to M 11.06 G 03.08 S 05.11 ^#4^
Cautiously expecting #5
www.littlesmithsgrowingup.blogspot.com

Last edited by Mirasmom; 10-30-2007 at 09:27 AM.
Mirasmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007, 05:00 PM   #2
ChoiceSoaps
Registered Users

Re: Switching from bottle to sippy

Some kids really struggle with the transition. DS had eating issues and couldn't swallow solids well until 25 months so he was almost exclusively on a liquid diet. When he was more than a yr old, we tried to switch to a sippy cup. He drank 20 bottles of milk/day (we had to count for the feeding team we were working with) so he knew how to suck. He would try and try to suck on the sippy cup, but he wasn't able to use one with a valve until a few months ago. For a good 9 months or so, we used the sippy cups with no valve.
ChoiceSoaps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007, 05:08 PM   #3
joy7s
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

so sorry it's so frusterating for you!! I have no advice though..
Spring Joy Jesus following,cding, extended bfing,tandem nursing (again!) , homeschooling, mama milk donating, semi crunchy and green mama. Unemployed ped RN married to my one and only n asl Terp since 2/16/00
my three princesses: a (6/26/04) s (9/15/06) and Z (8/5/08)
and little man Z (11/12/10)
joy7s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007, 05:11 PM   #4
*Katherine*
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Maybe try straw cups. DD hated sippy cups, but she received a straw cup (by Nuby) as a gift and she took right to it.
Old 10-30-2007, 06:06 PM   #5
Mirasmom
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I dunno about straws- she doesn't seem to get that at all. It's gotten better over the course of the day- she'll at least drink from it now, but not as much milk as she was drinking from the bottle and she won't scream as much. I'm hoping she'll forget about her bottle by tomorrow or the next day. I would like to still give her that night time comfort but I'm afraid we'd be opening a new can of worms that maybe we've nearly avoided...
At least they have short memories!!!
athlete wife to B and Mama to M 11.06 G 03.08 S 05.11 ^#4^
Cautiously expecting #5
www.littlesmithsgrowingup.blogspot.com
Mirasmom is offline   Reply With Quote