Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-31-2006, 09:44 AM   #31
havanadaydreamin
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Selling Formula Checks?

I wouldn't sell them, but I have given them away. I would post on my online mommy's board, and send them to anyone that needed them.

I BF but I did have to supply formula to daycare in case I didn't send enough EBM for the day. I traded with a local mommy too, for the coupons for the formula that I did actually use.

Advertisement

Old 08-04-2006, 12:23 AM   #32
mommy2zander
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by lastaats
Sorry...didn't mean to cause any issues or anything.

I was just curious b/c i got a box of formula and some checks in the mail yesterday. I was talking to DH about what to do w/ them since i didn't really want to just toss them and i'm set on breastfeeding. I browsed on Craigslist and saw that alot of people were asking for them and others were selling the checks (and there were comments from others about how it was wrong). So i look on Ebay and see that there are MANY people selling these checks. I didn't think you could even do it since it has a specific name on there.

I'm somewhat torn on what to do w/ the formula. I feel bad selling it to someone when i got it for free....but then again, we're not the richest people in the world and every little bit counts right now for us. Whichever i do, i'll just include the checks w/ the formula.

I don't see how anyone could afford to sell WIC formula. My oldest had to be on Alimentum and even w/ WIC, we still had to buy like a weeks worth a month...and that **** is expensive!

It actually aggravates the hell out of me that formula companies will send cans of free formula (and checks) to people, when there is so much more they could be using that money for. I have issues w/ formula companies.....mainly b/c of how they use their power to entice hospitals to push it on their mamas. I was lied to, guilted, and pressured into formula feeding my two girls from the hospital staff, when if i could've gotten just a little help and support i definately could've succeded w/ breastfeeding.
I totally agree that the formula companies are bad news (not the formula it's self, it feeds babies & that is important). But the companies are bad, bad, bad!! Only out to make a buck & give you that can of formula in the hospital in the hopes that when you are having a hard day with bf, you see that can of formula, make & feed one bottle & then from there they can leech $1000 plus dollars off you over the next year!! Or out of our government through WIC! Although our WIC is very supportive of BF so they aren't to blame!

The breastfeeding initiative in Grand Forks, ND, an hour away from here, is open to the public. They got together & actually had the formula companys' free bags banned from their hospital!! Isn't that amazing!! Just shows it can be done!! I'm waiting & asking many times over for our local breastfeeding initiative to allow non-medical professionals into our local group! I would love to see the same thing happen in many areas!

But anyway, as far as the cans of formula go... you could sell them on ebay (although I believe they could be expensive to ship) or give them to a homeless shelter or food pantry... I know many babe's drink more formula then WIC allows/gives! And I'm sure they'd be much appreciated!

& I don't think anyone thought you were trying to start anything... these things just happen sometimes when people feel strongly in different directions...

Last edited by mommy2zander; 08-04-2006 at 12:27 AM.
mommy2zander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2006, 01:01 AM   #33
quixb
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I have been known to "create" a birthdate to get the checks in the mail......but I have NEVER sold them....just given them to people I know who needed them.....FOR FREE

I figure if there are people out there who need them and I can grab a few to help them out why not?? I guess I have too much time on my hands! And I HATE the formula companys..hehehehe

I have never had a problem with any of the ones I gave away.....atleast no one ever told me they had a problem cashing them out
Old 08-04-2006, 06:34 AM   #34
Okiemunchkinsmom
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by happyhomemom
I have not gotten any checks except FFS from here. I tried signing up my fosterbaby and they never sent any. I appreciate the people who pass on the discount to those of us who need to use formula. Lisa
I stopped reading here and had to reply.

I've always signed up my foster babies with no problem. I'm sorry they didn't help you out, that's not right. My current foster baby is on a formula that costs $100 a case (a case being about 24 feedings), and WIC only gives her 3/4 the amount she needs monthly. I have to buy the rest (And drive an hour and a half each way to get it, and it takes every penny of her subsidy and then some). However, I have called and canceled the coupons if the baby leaves before they stop coming. And if they don't stop sending them I give them away to my church food pantry.

Back to the topic, sorry.
Okiemunchkinsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2006, 08:47 AM   #35
DakotasMommy
Registered Users

If I were you... I would look into your local freecycle.com site, and see if anyone truly needs the formula.

Heres my story (and Im stickin to it)

My husband and I dont qualify for wic even though we are a single income family with 6 children at home. I guess they think his construction job pays to much... who knows.. anyways... I met a wonderful lady on my local freecycle who had delivered twins at the same time Dakota was born. She did qualify for wic and was getting a abundance of formula every month from them. She breast feeds her twins and suppliments bottles occasionally, but not near as often as to use the amount of formula they alot her.
Well, she offered the formula, and at the time we were in dire straits and needed it. We developed a great friendship and so far (thank you lord) we have only had to buy 3 cans of formula since Dakota was born. It has helped us sooooo much.

Wic is out there for the needy, yes.. but they also give you sooo much, more than you can use. I think its a blessing from one mom to another when you "share the wealth" and help out another family.

As for the checks... if someone else can use them.. they should. Hey.. times are tough... every little bit helps..

that said.. Im totally against selling them. But donating them to someone in need is awesome.
Old 08-04-2006, 09:07 AM   #36
LuAnn
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DakotasMommy
Wic is out there for the needy, yes.. but they also give you sooo much, more than you can use. .

Ds was on formula and Wic did NOT give more than what he needed half the time we were paying out of pocket for cans.
LuAnn
Old 08-04-2006, 09:17 AM   #37
DakotasMommy
Registered Users

Ive never been on wic. Ive just been fortunate enough to benefit from the excess that another wic recipient got. Sorry you had to pay out of pocket. Thats tough, especially when moneys already tight.
Old 08-04-2006, 10:16 AM   #38
lastaats
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommy2zander
The breastfeeding initiative in Grand Forks, ND, an hour away from here, is open to the public. They got together & actually had the formula companys' free bags banned from their hospital!! Isn't that amazing!! Just shows it can be done!!
That is awesome! With my previous 2 births in the hospital i asked repeatedly for a lactation consultant. The first time noone ever showed up and i was in the hospital for 4 days. The second time i was there for 3 days and the lc ran in right as we were walking out the door to go home. She handed us some papers and was gone. BUT, w/ both girls i was sure to get my complimentary cheapo diaper bag filled w/ formula, coupons, and info on formula feeding. As well as free samples from the hospital itself. Which all this would've been great if i had decided to formula feed before hand. But it was like they tried to make the decision for me....and when you're suffering from PPD and having difficulties bf, then it is so convenient for someone to just offer that premade bottle.
Old 08-04-2006, 01:17 PM   #39
togg_mama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Personally, I gave the coupons and/or extra formula to my dd's ped. She would give it to other mamas who needed it. We called it the "Peds Market" 'cause stuff was always going around and coming around by way of her office.
togg_mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2006, 02:11 PM   #40
TwinKristi
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

A private birth club I'm in for Dec 2005 babies all swaps coupons and checks. I have recv'd and sent many, many checks! When I was BFing I sent them to friends who needed them and now I have friends sending them to me! And diaper coupons as well since we use CDs. Its a great way for those checks not to go to waste. I personally have a bad feeling about selling those checks or even coupons for that matter, I love to trade!

Just from my experience in grocery retail and being on WIC, formula is often stolen and you cannot return without a receipt and picture ID anywhere in my neck of the woods. I saw one guy filling up a whole cart with formula and diapers and wipes and at first thought "awww, how sweet" then I saw him walking towards the exit, not the registers! He didn't get out the door with them and ran when a mgr went to talk to him but ended up coming back 15 mins later, right after I restocked it all! UGH!! So off he went again, off I went to restock again and he didn't come back after that.
And from my personal experience, WIC didn't give extra formula! Its a supplimental program and only can help so much, if you run out of eggs and cheese before the month is over you gotta buy that too, its just cheaper. I had twins on formula and it was expensive when we ran out, I had to buy big cans at Costco to try to save $$. I didn't have any of those dang checks then either! And one reason they use checks and not coupons is because they can be used at places like Costco and Sam's that don't accept coupons. I had no idea I could use them there and did yesterday! I got a HUGE can of Isomil for less than $20!!