Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-30-2007, 12:01 PM   #1
mommylamb
Registered Users

My Mood:
Spitting up

I just want to check with someone and see if this is normal or not and what I should do (if anything). Izzy is 4 weeks old. She was three weeks early and still sleeps most of the time and wakes up to eat. After eating she usually goes back to sleep (in the evenings she'll be up for an hour or two). Well she had a few times that when she done eating and burped when I lay her down she'll choke on spit up. This would only happen maybe once a week. Well yesterday she started to spit up more often (she hardly ever spit up before) and when she spits up it comes out her nose. This is usually about 15-30 after she's done eating and back asleep. Am I'm being just a worried FTM?

Advertisement

Old 10-30-2007, 12:03 PM   #2
crystalkicks
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Spitting up

Ive had this happen too mama...worries me too....good luck!! Ill be watching the thread to see any remedies to get babies less spit up!!
Old 10-30-2007, 12:04 PM   #3
mommylamb
Registered Users

My Mood:

Oh and I forgot to say that I've been recently bfing her more. (I had supply issues and have been supplementing with Similac Efimil (Yeah it's spelled wrong) So I don't know if my bf and maybe what I'm eating is causing it.
Old 10-30-2007, 12:11 PM   #4
isis0821
Registered Users
seller

Vomiting is a sign of food allergy. It's hard to tell whether it's the formula, or something in your diet. Do you think at some point you'll have enough of a BF supply to cut out the fomula? If you do stop giving her fomula and she's still vomiting, then it's from your diet, and you should start an elimination diet - cut out dairy for at least 2 weeks, then add it back in and see if that makes a difference (and look on labels to see if it says "contains dairy," since dairy hides in certain ingredients).

If you have to continue to supplement, switch to a soy formula. If that doesn't help, I think there's a special formula for babies with both a dairy and soy allergy, but not sure what it's called, since I EBF.

In the meantime, make sure she's well burped before laying her down, and put her down on her side, so that she doesn't choke.
isis0821 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007, 12:12 PM   #5
Toby_99833
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

If your baby doesn't seemed to be bothered by it I wouldn't worry. My daughter spits up after EVERY meal. More than a mouth full. I have spoken with doctors because she was preemie and had weight issues. But she gains weight, is happy and the only issue is causes is laundry.

Also she might just be adjusting to being EBF (I think that is what you said you started to do). If you are still giving her formula in a bottle it is TOTALLY NORMAL! Bottle fed/formula fed babies tend to spit up more because they get more air and often eat more quickly because it is easier to get food from a bottle than a boob most often. If she starts to fuss and her weight gain slowes or stops then I would be concerned. It could be GERD or colic.
Old 10-30-2007, 12:18 PM   #6
mommylamb
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by isis0821 View Post
Do you think at some point you'll have enough of a BF supply to cut out the fomula?
I sure hope so. I really hate giving her formula. I'm getting a better pump next week and am going to pump between feedings to hopefully help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by isis0821 View Post
If you have to continue to supplement, switch to a soy formula. If that doesn't help, I think there's a special formula for babies with both a dairy and soy allergy, but not sure what it's called, since I EBF.
The formula she's on is soy. They started her on it when she was still in the hospital because I wasn't able to bf when she was under the oxygen hood.

Thanks mamas!
Old 10-30-2007, 12:20 PM   #7
isis0821
Registered Users
seller

I wanted add that you should also keep her upright for 30 min. after you feed her, if at all possible. It could be reflux, too, but I would try to see if it's a food allergy first.
isis0821 is offline   Reply With Quote