Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-29-2006, 07:51 PM   #11
crunchy-mama
Registered Users

Re: Vax and my baby

Quote:
Desperate to hear my son call me a name. Any name would do at this point. Desperate to have him be able to point to the kitty...since we've only been working on that one for 24 months now. Desperate to have his verbal skills rise above the 14 month level. I just want to put my head down and cry. It is like pulling teeth. EVERY day is another therapy for Colin and still nothing. Thanks again.
I could have writtn this year ago. ds is turning 3 next week and still doesn't say his own name Just a few weeks ago he started saying 'Thank you' and it melts my heart every time!
He has now made up so many signs that we can understand him well but I want so badly fr him to talk to us

eta: He had a reaction to his first set of shots, coincedence? Maybe

Advertisement

Last edited by crunchy-mama; 07-29-2006 at 07:54 PM.
crunchy-mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2006, 07:56 PM   #12
SheilaJoy
I grow people
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by rxmommy
Prevnar is the pneumococcal vaccine. It prevents against dangerous invasive infections that used to kill many babies under the age of 2. A 90% reduction has been seen in kids since the vaccine became routine.

I don't want to start an argument but as a health professional I believe, and always will, that vaccinating your child is the single most important thing you can do for their health.
And lots of other health care professionals believe that NOT vaccinating and instead keeping your children in good health through diet and exercise are the most important things you can do for your kids' health.
SheilaJoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2006, 08:12 PM   #13
crunchy-mama
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by rxmommy
Prevnar is the pneumococcal vaccine. It prevents against dangerous invasive infections that used to kill many babies under the age of 2. A 90% reduction has been seen in kids since the vaccine became routine.

I don't want to start an argument but as a health professional I believe, and always will, that vaccinating your child is the single most important thing you can do for their health.
Oh fun, a debate
There are actually over 20 different types of S. pneumoniae. The vaccine is for 7 of these. It is made using the 7 that used to cause the most cases of invasive disease. It was based on a good theory BUT now those 7 aren't causing as much disease and the others are making up for it, resulting in a net decrease in cases of pneumococcal disease of ZERO. There is just as much disease caused by S. pneumoniae as there was before Prevnar, it's just caused by the other serotypes now.
A very common way to make numbers go down is reclassifying

BTW, peds find it soooo important that many refer to it as the "Ear Inection vaccination" and it is not mandated in many states. I believe tht a few statesdid mandate it only within the last few weeks
crunchy-mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2006, 08:16 PM   #14
rowynne
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I am also a heath care professional & I agree with rxmommy. I have vaccinated all 3 of my children. My oldest is gifted, my 5yr old has ADHD & ODD (she got the mercury FREE vaxes), my 18mo old just finished her vaxs on wednesday & is also showing precociousness.

It is your right to vax or not your child. I find it interesting that all this talk of "autism is caused by mercury in the vaxes" and its the child that didnt get that stuff that has the issues in our family.
rowynne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2006, 09:42 PM   #15
SoftBumBaby
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowynne
I am also a heath care professional & I agree with rxmommy. I have vaccinated all 3 of my children. My oldest is gifted, my 5yr old has ADHD & ODD (she got the mercury FREE vaxes), my 18mo old just finished her vaxs on wednesday & is also showing precociousness.

It is your right to vax or not your child. I find it interesting that all this talk of "autism is caused by mercury in the vaxes" and its the child that didnt get that stuff that has the issues in our family.
I do not believe that mercury *causes* autism, number one. Number two: I don't believe it's just the mercury that contributes to the problem. Let me explain:

1. "Vax causes autism": No, I believe there is a tendency toward problems that can lead to autistic symptoms which is inherent in a given individual. Certain circumstances can then set this tendency off, and the symptoms begin. Not every person is born with this tendency, and not every person who has the symptoms, has it "because" of vax. But *yes, vax can contribute to setting off the symptoms in some people*...this is what I believe and what I was saying.

2. Mercury may be out, but other goodies, such as formaldehyde, are still in, or have been added, or have been used as replacements. How does your brain function on formaldehyde? How do you think it would have functioned when your entire body was only eight, ten, fifteen pounds?

As to your child not being vaxed and having issues, what issues is your child having, if I may ask? Are they autistic in nature? Again...it is unlikely that vax is the only cause of autism today. Is there only one cause of cancer? If only! Is there only one cause of learning disabilities?

Hope that clarifies the whole "vax 'causes' autism" misnomer.

Autism Every Day
SoftBumBaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2006, 09:50 PM   #16
SoftBumBaby
Registered Users

Oh, wait, I see. Your non-vaxed child has ADHD (not autism) and I'm sorry, but what is ODD? You didn't happen to mean OCD, did you? OCD isn't autism either. If you meant ODD, can I ask what that is? I haven't heard of it.

Also, please be aware (and I'm surprised that as a health professional, you didn't know this) that your "mercury-free" vaxes DO contain mercury, ironically. According to the Mercury Free Act, "no person shall be vaccinated with a mercury-containing vaccine that contains more than 1.25 micro grams of mercury per dose". That's on top of the formaldehyde and possibly aluminum. You say your child with ADHD got "the mercury free vax"--which one? Does this mean she got more than one vax? Again...she was then exposed, possibly numerous times, to not only the vaccination itself but these other harmful substances.

Therefore...I'm not seeing the same irony you are.

And again...I am not taking the chance.

Autism Every Day
Old 07-29-2006, 09:58 PM   #17
SoftBumBaby
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowynne

BTW...my oldest DS is gifted too. In fact, he began speaking (clearly speaking...unprompted) at eight months of age. Yes, eight months. He is amazingly brilliant and yes, he was vaxed. Isn't that wonderful? One out of three ain't bad, right? Well, yeah, it IS bad...IME. One child with a very questionable future who will have nobody to care from him when my husband and I die because he can't take care of himself, ISN'T A-OK in my book just because another of my children was vaxed and didn't wind up that way. (Although my oldest DS is 20 years old and didn't have 24 shots in 24 months....it's only in recent years that vax have gotten so ridiculously out of hand.)

Autism Every Day
Old 07-29-2006, 10:13 PM   #18
aimeemarie
Registered Users
seller

You people need to calm down.

Last edited by aimeemarie; 07-29-2006 at 10:14 PM.
aimeemarie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2006, 10:19 PM   #19
SheilaJoy
I grow people
seller

lleyes2:

Actually, I like to read about differing opinions and why people believe them.
SheilaJoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2006, 10:25 PM   #20
aimeemarie
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiveblessings
lleyes2:

Actually, I like to read about differing opinions and why people believe them.
But is the attitude people bring necessary?

ODD is Oppositonal Defiant Disorder....