Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-31-2006, 05:09 PM   #51
SoftBumBaby
Registered Users

Re: DELETE

Thanks, all. I will just try to address actual questions, then, and close my eyes to the rest. It's just too hard. Okay, so...Yes, your child will be able to attend school without vax, but you MUST receive your exemption ahead of time. You can't just "say" you have a religious or philosophical reason. I haven't researched yet how you file this (Colin is nowhere near Kindergarten) but I do know that once you have something written up, you need it notarized. That's easy to do--search notaries (notary public) in your Yellow Pages.

First, find out in your state what type of exemptions are available. All states have a religous exemption and a medical exemption. For the religious exemption, obviously you will need to be part of a religious organization. The medical one is harder. Then you need the recommendation of a doctor.

In certain states (I believe 14 of them) a philosophical exemption is available. But this will only work if you *stop vaxing your child altogether* and *never plan on vaxing* (or vaxing further if you already have)...you can't choose the philosophical avenue if you choose to just delay, or if you choose to only have certain vaxes but not others.

As for the decrease if the vaxes are delayed, that's a good question...I've never seen any actual numbers. If anybody has info on this, I'd like to see it. That would be great. I just read that the chances for harm go down because the immune system is more mature, but didn't see any actual numbers. I am hoping it will be the delay I'll need to make a decision one way or another--to vax or not to vax.

ALSO, please note on exemptions: I'm not sure whether they will hold up for daycare. The reason is that public school is just that--public. Daycare is private unless it's a state-run school or organization. I would imagine that being private, the people who run the daycare could potentially choose not to let you in based on non-vax. I'm just not sure about that one. Anyone else is also welcome to chime in on that one if you have info.

There are also *minimum requirements*--if you want to vax but only do those, they are FAR less than 24 shots/boosters, I assure you. Who said she is in Cali? In Cali only something like 14 shots including boosters are required in order to get into Kindergarten. The average 5-year-old has received 36!!! Here is a link to what is required: http://www.scusd.edu/sfss/CA_Immun_Regmts.htm (This is a site for a specific school but it is for state requirements, and the site was updated up to 2006. You can search your own school district to make sure.)

Advertisement

Autism Every Day

Last edited by SoftBumBaby; 07-31-2006 at 05:11 PM.
SoftBumBaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2006, 05:18 PM   #52
lisahas2cats
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoftBumBaby
All states have a religous exemption and a medical exemption. For the religious exemption, obviously you will need to be part of a religious organization.
Actually, I'm thinking you don't have to be part of a religious organization to get the exemption (some states may vary). Stating that vaccination is against your religious convictions that God made our immune systems perfect/Mother Nature made our immune systems perfect/The Higher Power of your Belief made our immune systems perfect.......whichever it is, it just has to be your religious belief.

YMMV
Lisa
Old 07-31-2006, 05:44 PM   #53
Audriannasmommy
Registered Users

I did not at all mean to sound harsh. I was trying to help a little no cp is not the same as Autisim and some cases can be helped. I think you should ignore the points and stares I was offended by your pm acting as if i dont get the points and stares you wanna know what accusations fly when you say your dc is 90% brain dead. I hold my head high because i am her mom that wont change god blessed me with her. Try walking in my shoes I have a lil one who may never walk or anything.
Old 07-31-2006, 05:44 PM   #54
iris0110
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Actually it's not all that complex to get exemptions in most states. There are a couple that only allow the medical exemption, but most have religious and even philisophical now. For the record you don't necessarily have to stop vaxing altogether to claim an exemption. You just take a don't ask don't tell stance on it. They don't have to know that you vax at all, just file the exemption and be done. And in some cases some religions are against a few vaxes but not all. Some Catholics are against MMR and Varicella because they use aborted fetal cells to make them. They claim a religious exemption even though they still vax for everything else. But it really is easier just to say we don't vax and leave it at that. In TX we have all three, but the religious and philisophical are now filed together. You just write to the health department and they send you the form. You sign it and have it notarized and give it to the school. Very simple, the school district nurse was the one who gave me a sample letter to send in. You do not have to be a member of a religious group to claim religious exemption. You do not have to justify your religious beliefs, or even which religion you are to get it. Just simply say that vaccinating goes against the tennets of your religion and leave it at that. They have no right to ask you anythign more. Some schools will, but simply telling them that you will have to contact your lawyer before discussing it further will usually shut them up.
iris0110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2006, 05:47 PM   #55
SoftBumBaby
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Audriannasmommy
I did not at all mean to sound harsh. I was trying to help a little no cp is not the same as Autisim and some cases can be helped. I think you should ignore the points and stares I was offended by your pm acting as if i dont get the points and stares you wanna know what accusations fly when you say your dc is 90% brain dead. I hold my head high because i am her mom that wont change god blessed me with her. Try walking in my shoes I have a lil one who may never walk or anything.
Please do not bring this onto a public forum. Let's be adults, and FTR, you PM'd me first and pursued me. Thanks. Can we please not do this? I've seen this sort of thing on other messages/other boards and it's embarrassing. I'd rather not do it.

Lisahas2cats: Thank you...I didn't know that (about the religious exemption). I am going to look into exemptions in general (I'm in Cali, so we do get philosophical, though). Again, I'm still not entirely sure that I won't vax *at all*...but I am 100% sure that I don't want to vax at least until age two. Both of my children have checkups on Friday and I know the ped will be standing there with his needles at the ready. So I'll be bringing this up to him then. Thanks again for the heads-up on religious exemp.

(Edited for spelling)

Autism Every Day
Old 07-31-2006, 05:49 PM   #56
betty_joanne
Registered Users
seller
seller

Please keep this thread. I have 10 month old who has been vaxed up until this point but want to wait, research, and choose the ones I want her to have.
Does anyone have the Dr. Stephanie Cave schedule of vacinnes that could pm me some of the info.
Old 07-31-2006, 05:51 PM   #57
SoftBumBaby
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by iris0110
Some Catholics are against MMR and Varicella because they use aborted fetal cells to make them. :
Watch out for that one, not all MMR or Variacella use fetal cells anymore. Thanks for the info...it's good to know I won't have to be submitting an affadavit as to our past vax history and our religion. I was thinking this was MUCH more complex than it apparently is...I think I've been going on sites that are very conservative as to CYA, if you know what I mean.

I did read the thing about the notary though. Is that one true? Would I need to get it all written out and notarized? (This to me is not much of a problem...it's cheap and easy to get a doc stamped...but I'm just wondering.)

Has anyone here actually gotten an exemption and has a child in Kindergarten who wasn't vaxed to state requirements? Do you get a hard time about it?

(Spelling errors again...good grief...sorry...)

Autism Every Day

Last edited by SoftBumBaby; 07-31-2006 at 05:53 PM.
Old 07-31-2006, 05:56 PM   #58
iris0110
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Jenny, I am sure you didn't mean to come across as harsh, but it is some times hard to understand what people really mean online. We only have words, we can't read body language or tones. Your post however came across as a condemnation, essentially charging that she saw her child as a burden, and that if she loved him enough it would be fine. Autism is a complex illness, and even though 1 in 166 children will be diagnosed with an autism spectrum disorder there is still very little understanding of what autism is. There is still a stigma attached. I can't even get help for my son through Scottish Rite because they don't recognize Autism as a real disease. That is what we are battling against. According to most dr's there is no cure for Autism, just as there is no cure for CP. IT is not a death sentence, but it is a life sentence for many children and families. THe OP was simply reaching out to try and find out what her options may be. And you condemned her for suggesting that she feels vaccines may have caused this in her child, and infact seemed to attack her for even suggesting that she was upset about this.

Many researchers have found links between autism and vaccines. So far the CDC is insisting that there is no causal link, but they don't really want to look into it. The pharma and CDC have a vested interest in vaccines. But all of that aside, there are Dr's out there who are having great success in treating Autistic children with chelation and other biomedical treatments. Children are recovering from autism, something we were told by the rest of the medical community was imposible. THis is the word that we are trying to spread here, that there is hope. There is somethign out there other than therapy which has been lacking for many of our children.
Old 07-31-2006, 05:58 PM   #59
Audriannasmommy
Registered Users

I was told in ma if your kid is not to date on shots then they cant go to school. don't know the laws anywhere else. Kids get sick vax or no vax
Old 07-31-2006, 06:01 PM   #60
iris0110
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I have an exemption for Kearnan actually. Now it really depends on the state, but here in Tx I just sent a letter and they sent me back the exemption forms. We signed and had them notarized and turned them into the school. I quit vaxing him after his reaction, so he is no longer "up to date" and he needed one last year to continue in ISD provided therapy. I assume he will need another one this year. Some states require a new one each school year, others don't. I believe in California you just turn the vax form over and write that you want to be exempt and it is done. Other states require just a simple letter saying that you don't vax for religious or philisophical reasons (depending on the state) that you then have notarized and turn in. I have heard some moms in Florida complaining that they have had trouble with schools asking about their religion, but there is a non-profit parents rights group down there handling it now.