Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-24-2006, 05:27 PM   #1
Ooey
Full of Surprises
seller

I don't wanna give her a bottle!! Wah!

I have to go back to school full-time in a month, and although I love school, I can't imagine how hard it's going to be to leave Whilder with DH all day (he works nights). The idea of pumping doesn't bother me, it's just the idea of giving her a bottle that I cant stand! I think I have bottlephobia or something, I just want her to be EBF forever! Is that even possible... has anyone here just brestfeed their child and NEVER given them a bottle? I know I'm being irrational here, and that there is probably nothing wrong with her being bottle-fed while I'm in school, but I can't help feeling like this will make me a bad mom in some ways. Any advice on how to make this work?

Advertisement

#3 Coming Oct. 2015!
Ooey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2006, 05:31 PM   #2
Shaineinok
Registered Users
seller

Re: I don't wanna give her a bottle!! Wah!

Well mine never ever had a bottle. Not either child. It will be harder to accomplish though while you are in school. Can dh meet you with her in between classes to nurse?
Shaineinok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2006, 05:40 PM   #3
CMamma
Registered Users
seller

Would you consider using a cup? DS is 6 mos & occasionally he is fed w/a cup. I am able to use a regular cup now, but I started using a little medicine cup (like the ones that come on top of a bottle of liquid meds). It's easy peasy & believe it or not he took to it right away & it wasn't all over the place messy.
Old 07-24-2006, 05:49 PM   #4
viiolet
Registered Users

My Mood:

Is there a way you can work your schedule to be able to nurse between classes? Or like Shaine suggested have dh bring her between classes? A good friend of mine set up her schedule so she had 2 hrs of class and then 1-2 hrs off so that she could do just that. It was a little extra work for her and her dh, but it was only for a few months until her dd was old enough to eat other things.

Also at the age of 3 months, it is possible for a baby to choose to reverse cycle, so there's no telling if she would take the bottle in the first place. Really expressed milk in a bottle, isn't a bad option if you end up needing to do so though. At least it will still be your milk, kwim?

My first 2 never took bottles, but it wasn't an issue as I was with them all the time.

As grateful as I am that formula is around after needing it with ds2, expressed breast milk really truly is the next best thing to getting it from the tap.

Ruth ~ 7, Jotham ~ 5, Caleb ~ 3, Evan ~ 8 mo
viiolet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2006, 01:02 AM   #5
Ooey
Full of Surprises
seller

Thank you ladies so much for the suggestions! I never even thought of having dh bring her to me between classes, which he would tottaly be willing to do. I'm pretty sure she is too young to use a sippy cup, but someone else suggested trying the adiri breast bottle, and that doesn't seem so bad. Any more suggestions/experiences are welcome!
#3 Coming Oct. 2015!
Old 07-25-2006, 06:08 AM   #6
marymom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

i don't have any suggestions, my dd has never had anything but my breast. i wish you the best of luck though!!
Old 07-25-2006, 06:29 AM   #7
hauser
Registered Users
seller

My youngest had a bottle only for the first five days of his life, but now that he has been home from the hospital he hasn't had a single bottle...won't take one either. Crazy kid!! The cup suggestion was not about a sippy cup though. YOu just take a small cup with breast milk or formula and pour a litte at a time in your childs mouth, you can use a spoon as well.
Old 07-25-2006, 06:38 AM   #8
Kellyd
Registered Users

I totally understand where you are coming from. I've got 3 breasfed kids with one more on the way in the next 2 weeks. With the 3rd one, I was able to stay out of work for 12 weeks, and I just kept putting off introducing the bottle until it got to be an absolute necessity. I think mostly I was afraid of breaking that bond with her that only I had as being the only one who could feed her. We did start out with the small cups that hold about 2 ounces- I got mine from Ameda. She did okay with them, but was just too hungry for them to work really well. We finally did get her to take a bottle, and it didn't interfere with our bond at all. With this one that I'm waiting on I'm mostly a SAHM, so I know it's gonna be even harder for me when I do work.
Kellyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2006, 01:27 AM   #9
Ooey
Full of Surprises
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kellyd
I totally understand where you are coming from. I've got 3 breasfed kids with one more on the way in the next 2 weeks. With the 3rd one, I was able to stay out of work for 12 weeks, and I just kept putting off introducing the bottle until it got to be an absolute necessity. I think mostly I was afraid of breaking that bond with her that only I had as being the only one who could feed her. We did start out with the small cups that hold about 2 ounces- I got mine from Ameda. She did okay with them, but was just too hungry for them to work really well. We finally did get her to take a bottle, and it didn't interfere with our bond at all. With this one that I'm waiting on I'm mostly a SAHM, so I know it's gonna be even harder for me when I do work.
Yes that is exactly how I feel. I'm glad to hear that it worked out okay for you.
#3 Coming Oct. 2015!
Old 07-26-2006, 10:49 AM   #10
bundeleh
Registered Users
seller

If it's breastmilk in the bottle, what's the problem? You might just try it and see if you still feel the same. I know I was totally against the "exersaucer" until I actually tried it at a friend's house and became converted!

Also, DH might enjoy the experience of giving the bottle. My DH gives baby a bottle now and then (of breastmilk) and he finds it a beautiful, close experience. Your DH might feel the same.
bundeleh is offline   Reply With Quote