Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-30-2006, 06:10 PM   #1
HippieMomToLennon
Registered Users

Cleft lips

My son was born 3 days ago with a cleft lip. I just need some support from other understanding mama's, especially those of you in a similar situation. His palette is fine so that is a huge relief but the cleft extends into his gums. We haven't met with the plastic surgeon yet either to discuss the surgery. Also, nursing is going awesome. All the lactation nurses couldn't believe his latch-on. Anyway, I'd love any support we could get right now.

Advertisement

HippieMomToLennon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2006, 06:15 PM   #2
Jemgirl

Toe Jam anyone?
seller

My Mood:
Re: Cleft lips

I don't have any experience with a cleft lip, though I seem to recall there were two mama's on here who had children born with one. I'm sure they will post. But I can offer you and support!
Jemgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2006, 06:19 PM   #3
MamaJenn
Banned

My Mood:

I know of a couple mamas on Diaper Pin who have kiddos with cleft....Ill try to get them to get their booties over here to help ya out!

Also....I know when my close friends baby was born with CDH( a different congenital issue) I posted for her over at Babycenters Board...they have one for children with health issues.

Ill get back to ya! dont go anywhere!
MamaJenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2006, 06:20 PM   #4
MamaJenn
Banned

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by HippieMomToLennon
My son was born 3 days ago with a cleft lip. I just need some support from other understanding mama's, especially those of you in a similar situation. His palette is fine so that is a huge relief but the cleft extends into his gums. We haven't met with the plastic surgeon yet either to discuss the surgery. Also, nursing is going awesome. All the lactation nurses couldn't believe his latch-on. Anyway, I'd love any support we could get right now.
BTW CONGRATS to you on your new baby boy
MamaJenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2006, 07:52 PM   #5
allycat
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I have a friend whose sister had a baby that was born with a cleft lip. She had a lot of surguries, but I've seen before and after pics and it was like a miracle was done! I'm sure it was very difficult going through all the hospital stays and surgeries though.

Congrats on your new baby and so awesome that he can breastfeed!!!
Alison
Old 04-30-2006, 08:23 PM   #6
littleways
Registered Users

Congrats on your little baby! I know a girl who was born with a cleft lip - she gives inspiring talks about it now. I didn't even know she had one till I heard her talk about it because the surgeries she has had done worked so well. She said in the end it has been a gift for her because she got to meet her best friend by giving the talk at a function for kids with cleft lips.

Check out: http://www.weecuddle.com
littleways is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2006, 09:34 PM   #7
janelyb
Registered Users

My Mood:

please email me
Janel, mamma to: Tyler (6/03) and Isabella (6/95),ttc #3
janelyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2006, 02:06 PM   #8
BabyRae
Registered Users

My son (whom I placed for adoption) was born with a cleft pallate (no lip). I parented for two months before placing him (adoption was in the works, but not finalized, and I didnt want the state to put him where I didnt know he was going).

Anyways, I'm more than happy to share my story and/or offer support. We had issues with pacifiers, bottle drinking, couldnt latch to my breast, etc. And I was with him for the surgery at nine months. The adoption was open and this was something I wanted to be at.

Please feel free to PM me
BabyRae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2006, 02:22 PM   #9
GrowingUpMad
If everyone was the same the world would be a VERY boring place.
seller

My Mood:

Congrats on the new little man!! My dh and his mother both have cleft lips and palettes so I'm pretty familiar with it. My dh had to have around a dozen surgeries (the last being at 17) to repair his pallette and lip. Our dd was born without either and I have another ultrasound in 2 weeks to check on this one. I take mega doses of folic Acid to help decrease the chances. Surgeons now are wonderful at those surgeries and sometimes it's hardley noticeable after it heals. One of my friends actually works for a surgeon who preforms the surgeries on older children and adults.
Old 05-02-2006, 02:22 PM   #10
napua
Registered Users
seller
seller

Many hugs to you Mama! Congratulations on your baby boy!!! I do not have any personal advice as I have not been through that. I just want to offer my support and tell you how awesome it is that he can latch on so well. I know it will be tough going through surgeries but you guys can do this. My dd was born 12 weeks early and spent nearly three months in the NICU....it wasn't easy by any means but little babies are so strong!