Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-28-2006, 10:05 AM   #1
Leininger27
Banned

My Mood:
Help! My ds is constipated!

My ds is months old and keeps getting constipated. He is exclusively breastfed and in 2 months he has had to have 5 supositories to help him go. Do you have any suggestions that may help my ds from getting constipated?

Advertisement

Leininger27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2006, 10:11 AM   #2
rpg_mommy
Registered Users

Re: Help! My ds is constipated!

How often is he going? It's TOTALLY normal for EBF babies to go days at a time without pooping - I have a friend who EBF and her child went once a week like clockwork. It's not necessarily that he's constipated, just that babies absorb so much from breastmilk that they just don't necessarily need to poop as often.

As long as he's not crying about tummy pain, I wouldn't do anything about it, not even the suppositories.

If he IS crying about pain, then you can try an ounce of prune or apple juice.

HTH!
rpg_mommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2006, 10:12 AM   #3
wmama
Registered Users
seller

What are his symptoms of being constipated? It's extremely rare for an exclusively breastfed baby to be constipated. Are his stools hard/formed when they come out? If it's just that he's not going very often, that's really normal for a breastfed baby. My first two slowed down to pooping once a week after the first couple months, until they were eating solids. My current little guys goes about every 3 days.

If his stools are actually hard, that would be a concern that would need to be looked into further.
Old 07-28-2006, 10:13 AM   #4
Silverfairy2
Registered Users
seller

I found this online. How long is your baby going in between bowel moments? Are the stools hard and pebbly? Read this article below.

http://pediatrics.about.com/od/weekl..._cnstipatn.htm

Q. I have some concerns for my 3 month old grandson. He only has bowel movements every 5 or 6 days. They are not "hard" or difficult for him, but just doesn't seem normal to me. It's almost like he has a "blow-out" on those days and doesn't do it again for the same length of time. Just doesn't seem normal for a baby that age because he's a good eater and seems to have no problem with the urine. Dr. has told her to give him prune juice, but he's on breast milk, and of course hasn't started anything else yet. Is this o.k.? Thank you for your help. Buka, TN

A. For an older infant or child, going five or six days without a bowel movement would usually be a problem. In younger infants, especially those who are breastfeeding, constipation is defined more by what the bowel movements are like rather than how often they occur.
So a younger infant would be constipated if his bowel movements were like hard, little pellets, or if they were very large, firm and difficult to pass. Some people also consider an infant to have constipation if the bowel movements have a consistency that are thicker than peanut butter and the child strains to pass them.
Keep in mind that babies who are exclusively breastfed very rarely get constipated. After having very frequent bowel movements during the first month or two, they then begin to go much less often. In fact, some breastfed babies only have bowel movements every week or two. In these children, as long as the bowel movement is watery or soft when they finally have it, then they are likely normal and not constipated. So it sounds like your grandson doesn't need any treatment, since it doesn't sound like he is constipated. In cases like this, I personally don't recommend giving an infant prune juice or doing anything else. Giving extra water, apple juice, or prune juice would be appropriate treatments for an infant that really was constipated though.
Why do breastfed babies have such infrequent bowel movements? Most people believe it is because breast milk gets digested so well that there is not much left over to make bowel movements. Of course, once you start feeding him solid foods, like cereal, that will likely change. At that point, he will likely have more regular bowel movements and they will probably be firmer.
There are some situations where it is not normal for a breastfed baby to have such infrequent bowel movements, including:
• a breastfed baby in the first few weeks or month or life, in which case it can be a sign that he isn't getting enough breast milk to eat
• an older infant who wasn't gaining weight well, in which case it likely would also be a sign that he wasn't getting enough to eat, had failure to thrive, or some other medical problem
• a baby who had delayed passage of meconium during his first few days of life and who has had problems passing bowel movements since he was born, which could be sign of Hirschsprung's Disease

Last edited by Silverfairy2; 07-28-2006 at 10:33 AM.
Silverfairy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2006, 10:16 AM   #5
Leininger27
Banned

My Mood:

It is usually like 5+ days before he will go and that is when we will give him the suppository. At about day 3 is when he starts to act like he is uncomfortable. By day 5 he is absolutely in pain and you can tell he is pushing, but he just can't poo.

Once we give him the suppository he will poo 2 times a day for the next week and then it all starts over again. How can I keep him regular?
Old 07-28-2006, 10:24 AM   #6
rpg_mommy
Registered Users

Hmm, in that case you might want to start by cutting back on your dairy. Dairy can lead to constipation if your little one is sensitive to it. You could also try the ounce of prune or apple juice every 2-3 days or so.

If you are really concerned though, speak to your pediatrician about it.
rpg_mommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2006, 10:26 AM   #7
Leininger27
Banned

My Mood:

My ped is the one who just keeps telling me to give him a supository, but that is getting a little old! I would like to find a solution for him to stop getting constipated.
Maybe I should just wait longer and see if he can go on his own since you all say it is normal for bf babies to wait a week.
Old 07-28-2006, 10:39 AM   #8
Silverfairy2
Registered Users
seller

The problem with suppositories is that it creates a dependence on them. It can create a cycle you don't want to get started for him.

Also, it might be his muscles in his anus. My mother LOVES to tell the story about how when I was a baby I had trouble with my spincter muscle in my bottom. I had to go to the doctor to have it exercised....I am not sure what that involves, but apparently I had trouble going and the doctor had to manipulate the muscle to help it work better. You might just apply a small amount of vasoline around his anus when he is trying to poop and even take a bit and insert it gently just inside (with a q-tip) to help lubricate things a bit.
When my son would get constipated and the poop would get stuck right at the end there I would take my fingers and squeeze from front to back. It would help push the poop out and relieve the pain he was in. This is at 10 months and older though. His stool was never that hard until he was older.

Hope you figure this out so your baby can go normally.
Molly
Old 07-28-2006, 10:40 AM   #9
Silverfairy2
Registered Users
seller

Just wanted to add that if you do give the baby any juice make sure you dilute it with lots of water. The sugar can cause problems for him if he is sensitive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpg_mommy
Hmm, in that case you might want to start by cutting back on your dairy. Dairy can lead to constipation if your little one is sensitive to it. You could also try the ounce of prune or apple juice every 2-3 days or so.

If you are really concerned though, speak to your pediatrician about it.
Old 07-28-2006, 11:04 AM   #10
escapethevillage
Registered Users

My Mood:

You might try that Activa yogurt. I do not know if the "regulating" factors that Activa claim to have will pass through the breast milk or not though. It has been so long since I breast fed, that I cannot remember.

I agree with cutting back on dairy, and maybe increasing your fiber. (still not sure if this works)

Other than that, I have no idea....but, I understand how frustrating it is. I know that adding water to the child's diet will help. Drinking tons of water yourself will help.
escapethevillage is offline   Reply With Quote