View Poll Results: To switch or not to switch
OB 8 10.39%
midwife 66 85.71%
other (because there always an other) 3 3.90%
Voters: 77. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 11-02-2007, 03:55 PM   #11
katie-momto4
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Would you switch OB just to homebirth?

If you switch to the MW will you have homebirth? Is that what you want or just a different hospital?

Advertisement

Old 11-02-2007, 04:24 PM   #12
joyfulsoul
Happy Squeal Creations
seller

My Mood:

I switched to a MW at about 20 weeks and never regretted it for a second! I had an amazing homebirth and felt very well cared for. I highly recomend going the MW/HB route. Good luck with your decision!
joyfulsoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2007, 04:27 PM   #13
Psychomom
Formerly: Boomer
seller

My Mood:

For my 2nd & 3rd pregnancies I had a great OB and great hospital births, so naturally I thought I would return for my 4th. However, I really, really, really wanted a homebirth so even though I had great prior experiences, I switched to a midwife and had a homebirth for my 4th. I loved it!
Old 11-02-2007, 04:54 PM   #14
ldsmom06
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I am in a simalar situation, I like my OB but hate the hospital he delivers at. I interviewd some midwives but dh isn't comfortable with a HBAV so I am stuck with the OB and bad hospital. So I voted midwife because I wish thats what I was doing! Good luck!!!
Old 11-02-2007, 04:58 PM   #15
Fullhouse
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

You have to like and trust whomever you have a baby with. I left my OB because he couldn't do a VBAMC, but only after I found someone I liked. Had I never found my MW I would never have left my OB (and would had a cs by now).
Fullhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2007, 05:27 PM   #16
ClothDiaperingMama
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by cm.thomas View Post
I say switch, but only after talking to the midwife. Make sure you like her and are comfortable with her first. If you like her, than I say switch!
I agree! You want to make sure she isn't a total quack and is actually someone that you can trust first. {We found one here that never even went to school to be a midwife and got away with it because she only did homebirths}. I would definitely see her several times, see how available she is if you need her at a moment's notice, what hospital she uses for a back up in case of emergency & doctor {then personally check it out to make sure she is telling the truth}, etc. I would also find recommendations of friends, etc too. I would also go with your first "gut" feeling.

There is a midwife here that I would LOVE to have her deliver, but she only does birth center births and I am not able to do those. {State laws with my health}.

Good Luck! I wish you lots of luck! Please don't forget to keep us updated!!
Old 11-02-2007, 11:01 PM   #17
*~Mindy~*
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

if you feel the need for an attendant who is trained, then id choose whoever can/ will attend a hb, whoever that is, if you feel comfy with them. good luck!
*~Mindy~* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2007, 11:04 PM   #18
afishwithabike
Registered Users

My Mood:

I'd switch, I switched from an OB to a mid-wife when I was 22 weeks with my oldest. It was the BEST decision I have EVER made. I LOVED the mid-wives there and they were very supportive through BOTH of my births.
Old 11-02-2007, 11:33 PM   #19
topazdodge
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I really wanted to use a midwife & do a homebirth, but we just couldn't stomach paying over $2500 for the midwife when I could use my OBGYN & pay $100 for all my prenatal care, hospital, & everthings else. I hope to be have a couple more after we move up to NY & maybe there we will have access to more stuff so I will be able to do it! I say go for the midwife & homebirth! Live my dream!

Free Crochet Longies Instructions Here
topazdodge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2007, 06:06 PM   #20
mmskids
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Thanks. I called and made an appt to talk to them in 2 weeks. DH will probably say no once we do. It's highly recommended and they will either HB or deliver at their birthing center. Local hospital is 15m away and I delivered my first 2 there. (Nice hospital sucky OBs. No bedside manners)

Scares me a little since I do LOVE my OB however I can't stand the thought of them keeping me for 48 hours for NO reason. If the hospital would just release me in 8 hours, I would probably just go the hospital route for #6. Last baby, I want what I want this time.

Thank for the input.