Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-28-2006, 05:11 PM   #11
EasterBun
Yarn Snob
seller

My Mood:
Re: Homeschooling qualifications?

I don't see why it wouldn't....

I was homeschooled through highschool, and I had no problem going to colege, or working, or anything, and I never had a paper dipoloma and I did not take the GED. I don't see why wanting to homeschool your child would be any different, in terms of being "good enough".

Advertisement

EasterBun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2006, 05:14 PM   #12
SheilaJoy
I grow people
seller

www.hslda.org is an excellent resource for finding out what the laws are in your state. If you join, which is like $100, they will also give you free legal advice and represent you in court if your school district ever tries to give you a hard time for homeschooling. But don't worry because homeschooling is legal everywhere.

If you go to this site, click on the link on the left side where it says "Getting Started." They will send you some free information on what is required in your state. Washington is one of the most difficult states for qualifying, just because we do have to have either the 45 college credits or a homeschool qualifying course. But once you get that out of the way, it's easy. Google "Paula Harper-Christensen" and her website will come up. She travels around Washington doing this course, and as I've said, it's excellent.
SheilaJoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2006, 06:48 PM   #13
CheaperByTheDozen
Registered Users

I can not recommend HSLDA enough. I have used them... they are AWESOME. Worth every penny.
CheaperByTheDozen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2006, 06:54 PM   #14
SheilaJoy
I grow people
seller

This is a great website with all kinds of info on homeschooling in Washington:
http://www.washhomeschool.org/

Here is the class I was talking about that you can take to qualify:
http://home1.gte.net/saapps6/
Old 07-29-2006, 06:55 PM   #15
jennyofthemoon
Registered Users
seller

Coming from a different point of view...we seriously considered joining HSLDA, but when I was speaking with someone about it, it was brought to my attention that they are a little less than ambitious if you don't follow their religous beliefs. I looked into it a little more, and I found that to be quite true. I have heard NOTHING but excellent things about them from Chistian families, but if you follow a very different faith, you may want to reconsider. My email correspondance with them was not even very friendly, which really put me off when I was just trying to get some basic questions answered.
Old 07-29-2006, 06:58 PM   #16
SheilaJoy
I grow people
seller

How did they even know your religious beliefs if you were asking basic homeschooling questions?
Old 07-29-2006, 07:28 PM   #17
dirtdartwife
YouTube Junkie and Thread-Hijacker... watch your threads.
seller

My Mood:

I highly support the hslda site. I'm really impressed with them, have spoken with the president myself and found him to be extremely helpful and very nice. I don't know about them not wanting to support families that have different religious beliefs because although they are an obvious Christian organization, I think they'd support any homeschooling family regardless of religion/areligious affiliation. It wouldn't hurt to talk to the president and explain what's happened and just get an idea of his ideas.
Old 07-30-2006, 01:21 AM   #18
KaleidoscopeEyes
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I thought in WA you just had to do a 25 hour course? I didn't like all the red tape involved in homeschooling there, just another reason we chose to move.

http://www.homeschooloasis.com/art_wa_st_hs_law.htm
Super crunchy, atheist, vegetarian, liberal WOH and student mama to 4 wonderful, smart homeschooling kids Wesley 16, Seth 9, Pandora Moonlilly 5 and Nevermore Stargazer 2, married to my awesome sahd artist hubby and partner to my amazing writer/techy boyfriend
KaleidoscopeEyes is offline   Reply With Quote