View Poll Results: Do you let your kids watch Disney/Pixar movies?
Yes 63 70.79%
No 6 6.74%
Sometimes 20 22.47%
Other 0 0%
Voters: 89. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-28-2006, 04:33 PM   #11
ewebabymama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Do you let your kids watch Disney/Pixar movies?

Heck, I am on another board where a woman was boasting about taking her almost 4 year old son to see Pirates of the Caribbean: the Black Pearl. I saw that and I'm sorry, that was in no way shape or form for children. For the love of all things holy one of the first scenes was a man been pecked apart by birds!!!!!

I won't censor what my kids watch, but it WILL be age appropriate and just because Black Pearl is Disney does NOT make it for small children.

Advertisement

ewebabymama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2006, 04:36 PM   #12
Sarah
No Longer Here

My Mood:

Oh no,I'm a bad mom? I took all three of the kids to see Dead Mans Chest. It was throughly enjoyed by both Ian(6)and Sophie(3).

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewebabymama
Heck, I am on another board where a woman was boasting about taking her almost 4 year old son to see Pirates of the Caribbean: the Black Pearl. I saw that and I'm sorry, that was in no way shape or form for children. For the love of all things holy one of the first scenes was a man been pecked apart by birds!!!!!

I won't censor what my kids watch, but it WILL be age appropriate and just because Black Pearl is Disney does NOT make it for small children.
Sarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2006, 04:55 PM   #13
*~Mindy~*
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

im one who doesnt like a lot of disney movies, they make me very uneasy with my son watching them, but then if yo listen to the music i like, youd think im totally nutso (if you dont already :lol: ) yesterday i woke up, my gfs daughter was watching the princess and the goblin and one of the first things i heard was "im gonna knock your head off" or something like that. WTH?? though i know thats not pixar but sheesh!!
a lot of kiddie looking movies are way more for adults than kids right now, and yeah like i totally didnt like the cat in the hat, i didnt see what youre saying in shrek though as far as i remember, its been about a year and a half since i saw it though i saw the second one a few weeks ago. i dont like a lot of disney movies, and the adding in sexual stuff and lately a lot of cussing is really irritating me.

and i liked pirates, i havent seen it since i was pregnant, and my puppy watched it with me but i have a much less of a problem with that than some actual kids movies, and thats kinda scary, imo...
*~Mindy~* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2006, 05:37 PM   #14
mommypooh
Registered Users

I'm not totally against movies, I let my kids see Cat in the Hat, and we are going to See Pirates and Cars at the drive in tonight. Now that said movies are not all the time. We watch far more Dora, BLue, Magic school bus, Teletubies, and other kid shows more than movies. I also let my kids watch all 4 harry potter movies. They love them. We hav read teh Harry potter books together also. I have no problem with movies. Now I am not going to let my 3 year old watch Rocky HOrror picture show, even though I love the movie.
mommypooh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2006, 05:49 PM   #15
CMamma
Registered Users
seller

I don't want to censor for my boys either BUT they are 6 mos & not even 3. I think I am uncomfortable when my 2.5 yo is telling someone they are sexy or that he's erotic. I'm like WTH?

And then he asks me things like "What is *****ing mommy?" I mean, yeah I try to explain but there are things he can't grasp yet & I feel bad exposing him to things he can't use yet... like he can hear it but not use the language appropriately b/c he doesn't understand it... if any of that even made sense LOL

I want to show him by my behavior how to act but if I have the movie/music playing too he learns that. KWIM?

I just can't figure out if I should be more careful about letting him see these things or if I'm overreacting.

Anyway TY for all FB so far & I'll be checking back. I really appreciate it from all points of view.
Old 07-28-2006, 06:59 PM   #16
Severine
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

DD is only 13.5 months old, so she doesn't watch any TV. Sorry if I skewed your numbers.

BUT I believe that my example is far more important than media/movies. My parents let us watch whatever we wanted. I recall watching "My Chauffeur" at around age 7. If any of you have ever seen that movie, you would know that it was not intended for children...not in the least. But you know what? I didn't even understand what was going on and it hasn't turned me into some violent lunatic either.

Unfortunately, you can't remove everything unsavory from your child's environment. If they don't see it in movies, they'll hear it from their peers. What matters most is that you make it known and understood what is acceptable and what isn't.

And FWIW, I always felt that Shrek was an adult movie, not for children. If you're concerned that something may not meet your standards, though, you should watch it yourself first before allowing your children to.
Severine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2006, 07:11 PM   #17
annes_cottage
Accomplice to the Temptress of Fuzzi Fannies Diapers

My Mood:

We do watch Disney/Pixar movies but we do censore them and everything else they watch.

I have had the nany McPhee sitting here on my desk for at least 2 months. I need to watch it before my kids will see it. We have not and will not watch any Harry Potter.

We did see Cars and thought it was very cute. There were a few things they could have left out, but the went right over our kids' heads. That movie had a very good story to it.

I do not appreciate the launguage and some actions in some of the movies mentioned above...and will have to watch Madagascar again...seemed to have missed those things....but never saw the thing mentioned about the little mermaid...or whatever the other one was...

We do not watch the Black Couldron or Return of Jafar. I had also bought them all being a Disney collector. It is funny what we missed when we small, view it now as a parent, and think what the heck!!! lol Different perception!!

Avi pic: Leland 1 yr
annes_cottage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2006, 07:15 PM   #18
CMamma
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Severine
If you're concerned that something may not meet your standards, though, you should watch it yourself first before allowing your children to.
That's a very good point & something I need to do. Unfortunately I didn't do this in the beginning & am catching things after the fact when DS is repeating things already.
Old 07-28-2006, 08:48 PM   #19
ewebabymama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by WearingTaci
Oh no,I'm a bad mom? I took all three of the kids to see Dead Mans Chest. It was throughly enjoyed by both Ian(6)and Sophie(3).
No you're not a bad mom! I wasn't implying that, I was just saying that some people thought things like Shrek were not for kids but there are things more violent, scary, sexual, etc than Shrek directed towards kids. I also don't remember people being pecked apart by birds in Dead Man's Chest. That scene made me at 24 years old shudder, it was just a violent movie to me. I think Black Pearl would make my 3 year old have nightmares from the cracken eating ships/people... That and the realism of Davy Jones and his crew would make my son scared, so to me it's not for children. I guess what I was trying to say, but didn't very well, is that stuff like violence, comedy, sexual inuendo, etc is all subject to mom and dad's opinions and ideas.

I hope you don't think I was saying anyone is a bad parent... I'm not the type to censor stuff (unless of course I know he'll be scared from it)... Heck, my sons favorite character is Spongebob and he's seen Family Guy many times, but those are funny to us and he won't be afraid of it. Eh, I'm probably not making sense... ignore me.
ewebabymama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2006, 09:30 PM   #20
jodi74
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

There are certain ones I let my kids watch and some I don't. I watch them first, then I decide. The same with their books, I read them first.
jodi74 is offline   Reply With Quote