View Poll Results: Do you let your kids watch Disney/Pixar movies?
Yes 63 70.79%
No 6 6.74%
Sometimes 20 22.47%
Other 0 0%
Voters: 89. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-28-2006, 09:45 PM   #21
stephdpn
Registered Users
seller

Re: Do you let your kids watch Disney/Pixar movies?

I really try to go by the ratings and only allow g-rated movies, but the IL's always take her to some PG ones that I wouldn't probably allow...we have seen most all of the Disney/Pixar/Dreamworks movies...I know they aren't all G...some of DD's favorites are Dreamworks - Road to El Dorado, Prince of Egypt, and King of Dreams - she really likes the music in those (all Elton, I think) and they are good - a few phrasings I don't like, like "Holy ship," etc, but no true profanity of gratuitous violence. We are way more restrictive about TV, for some reason, mostly b/c of commercials - that stupid "Lady in the Water" preview scared the bejeebers out of me and it was on at 7:30 during "America's got Talent!" How crazy is that...

Advertisement

Old 07-28-2006, 10:02 PM   #22
Audriannasmommy
Registered Users

totally not a disney movie its one of those 3.00 movies one of the many versions of snow white thank goodness i previewed it my fmil bought it anyways instead of the witch giving her a poison apple she strangles her till she passes out needless to say dd wont ever see it
Old 07-28-2006, 10:30 PM   #23
tararaboomdeea
Banned
sitesupporter

Quote:
hell
lust
sexy
erotic

What movies had these words in them? We have quite a few Disney movies and I've never heard these words. Maybe I'm not paying enough attention! Please let me know so I can remove them from our collection if we have them

There are a couple of shows on Disney Channel we don't allow either. One day I was wathing the Proud Family with Emily and one of the girls called the other a bee-yotch! My mouth about his the floor! We no longer watch that show
tararaboomdeea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2006, 10:43 PM   #24
JustAugust
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My issues with Madagascar were...

-The lion spells ouot "Help" and then one of the trees falls and it says "Hell."
-In one part it says something like "Darn you all to heck!"

Just... little things that I'm not really comfortable with my son seeing (not that he's watching things like this anyways at 4 months, lol).
Old 07-28-2006, 11:02 PM   #25
SheilaJoy
I grow people
seller

I used to think watching Disney was a rite of passage of childhood. Now, I'm really trying to phase them out, I don't like what they teach my kids. Example: in the Little Mermaid, the Prince falls head over heels in love with the mermaid just because of what she looks like. Not to mention she abandons her family, friends, everything for this man she doens't even know. She sees him on a boat and is in love two seconds later.

I see nothing wrong with censoring what my kids watch. I'm their mom, and I consider it one of my responsibilities.
SheilaJoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2006, 05:36 AM   #26
CMamma
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by tararaboomdeea
What movies had these words in them? We have quite a few Disney movies and I've never heard these words. Maybe I'm not paying enough attention! Please let me know so I can remove them from our collection if we have them

There are a couple of shows on Disney Channel we don't allow either. One day I was wathing the Proud Family with Emily and one of the girls called the other a bee-yotch! My mouth about his the floor! We no longer watch that show
There are others w/bad language but I specifically took these words from Shrek 2 & Antz.
Old 07-29-2006, 07:09 AM   #27
jls~Kain~Drake
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewebabymama
anyway, I think it's better to teach my kids that music and movies are fiction and we don't live our lives the way music or movies portray.
Yeah that. In fact, those (Disney/Pixar/Dreamworks) are some of our favorite movies to watch.

I won't go into detail about what I allow as I'm sure I'm the extreme minority here....but I think it's important not so much to censor, but to explain and educate my children that games and movies are, as pp said, fiction...and NOT the way we behave in real life. The only thing that was censored as I was growing up was sexual content and I'm raising my children much the same.

Last edited by jls~Kain~Drake; 07-29-2006 at 07:18 AM.
jls~Kain~Drake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2006, 07:46 AM   #28
tatertots
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I let my kids. They love the movies and I have not had any problems with aby of them yet, and we have LOTS of them.
Pamela SAHM to Eli 5 and Chloe 2 and a very proud AF WIFE! Expecting #3 in October

Last edited by tatertots; 07-29-2006 at 11:03 AM.
tatertots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2006, 08:00 AM   #29
raceNzanesmom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiveblessings
I see nothing wrong with censoring what my kids watch. I'm their mom, and I consider it one of my responsibilities.

CPS Tech to all- Need car seat/booster help? EMAIL me.
raceNzanesmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2006, 09:41 AM   #30
lastaats
Registered Users
seller

My girls favorite movies right now are Nanny McPhee, the new Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, and The Corpse Bride (weird i know).

So far i've only had one problem w/ my 2 y/o picking up things from movies....and that just happened recently. She was saying "die die die" like Mike TV from Willy Wonka. We had a little talk about it and that was that.
Basicly, we're the parents and we decide what we think is appropriate. But also, as long as we're still teaching them what's right from wrong then we're still doing our "job".
Taking our kids out in public is scarier than any movie could be since you never know what you might see and hear.